PDA

View Full Version : Snapping the 10 on the break?

Soflasnapper
01-27-2011, 11:51 PM
I haven't seen any of the newer 10-ball formats the pros have been going to, but I've always heard that the break is less effective or a dominant factor for the 10-ball rack.

Have you seen the pros play this much, and do they snap the 10 much (I guess, relative to snapping the 9 ball in 9-ball, which as we know is fairly uncommon even for those guys and gals?)

I ask because I've now started playing more 10-ball, and during a night of a couple of hours playing, I usually make it several times. Last week, somebody who's seen a lot of top players told me I seem to make it more than anyone she ever saw. Which is a nice compliment, of course, but it's more than modesty that makes me doubt it.

Maybe it's my moniker, or maybe it's the Big Beulah II break stick.

Rich R.
01-28-2011, 05:18 AM
I've only seen a little professional 10 ball but I don't think they snap the 10 on the break as much as the 9 in 9-ball. Also, in some tournaments, a 10 ball made on the break is spotted and the breaker continues shooting. It seems to me that the pros would like to remove the luck factor, of the break, from the game.

Soflasnapper
01-28-2011, 01:49 PM
So, rough numbers, maybe 6-8% nines on the break, and in 10-ball, still less?

Is there the equivalent of some kind of softer break in 10-ball, or do they kill the balls?

Rich R.
01-29-2011, 07:20 AM
I really haven't studied it enough to put a number on it but I don't think you're too far off.

From what I have seen, the hard break seems to be more effective in 10 ball but I'm sure someone will come up with a softer alternative.

01-31-2011, 01:56 PM
This is right on. The WPA rules for 10 are (summed up) that is it a call shot game and the 10 ball on the break spots up.

Making the 10 on the break is probably no more common or uncommon than 9 ball. Waht is less common is the same ball going in on the break (unless you are Shane Van Boening).

That said, I wonder how long it will take before all the top players can break the second row ball into the side pocket with a high degree of regularity?

Eric

JoeW
01-31-2011, 03:08 PM
I recently watched a 10-Ball tournament, possibly one of Corey Duel's tournaments. Ten on the snap spotted and breaker continued to shoot. In addition, They had to break from the box and had to bring four balls past the center pockets or lose their turn.

Soflasnapper
02-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Since our 10-ball is unorganized and for fun (or profit!), we use the general 9-ball rule set, money ball on the break wins and no requirement for balls above the side pockets.

Not sure if anybody's running 10-ball tourneys around here or not, or what they'd do.

JJFSTAR
02-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I just guess I think differently than most people but I have to ask, has not anyone pointed out to the tournament director (whomever that may be) that the rules being used are 9ball and not 10ball? As far as I know 10ball on the break is never a win. Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t taking some of the luck factor out of the game the whole reason 10ball was invented?

JoeW
02-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah. I think if anyone reads the WPA / BCA rules Ten Ball is a different animal. Ten Ball is for professional tournaments. Nine Ball is for gamblers. There are several rule changes that make Ten Ball much more of a game of skill. Any game has an element of luck and I think that the new Ten Ball rules are an improvement for pool as a sport that requires a higher level of skill in many ways.

Soflasnapper
02-10-2011, 08:57 PM
If that question was addressed to me, these are informal games played with friends, migrating our usual 9-ball matches to 10-ball without a rule change.

Usually somebody is trying to slow down the other party, which the extra ball accomplishes, even if it might go on the break (rarely).

JJFSTAR
02-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I definitely think differently than most people. To me I would feel quite silly making the statement “Yes we play 10ball by 9ball rules”. But to each his own, if it works for you; bless you. 10ball would slow down the game as well, played by 10ball rules or 9ball rules.

That is a choice that is up to everyone involved; it’s not any crazier than “bar rules” in fact it makes a little more sense. It’s just that IMHO what would make the most sense would be to play 10ball by 10ball rules but as I said I know for a fact that I think differently than most people.

Soflasnapper
02-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Fair enough. To be honest, I truly thought 10-ball rules WERE the same as 9-ball rules, since I'd never paid much attention to 10-ball and didn't know any better.

Then, of course, we have the special house rules (although not in my house we don't). LOL