PDA

View Full Version : North Africa and Western Asia up in Flames????

Sev
01-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Could the entire region go up in flames?

Seems to be a lot of unrest in North Africa and Western Asian nations.
Demonstrations and protests are occurring in the countries of Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, Algeria, and Jordan, with minor incidents occurring in Mauritania, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Morocco, and Palestine.

Modern technology has the potential to keep throwing fuel on the fire through instant access of the web and the 24/7 news cycle.

Kind of reminds me of the old Cold War era of fears of the domino effect.

If the powder keg does explode. The US is in no position to interfere.
The economic fall out for the US could be dramatic if the Suez Canal and oil fields in the region are effected.

Interesting times.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/Sevelli/Political/2010-2011_Arab_world_protests.png

Chopstick
01-31-2011, 10:59 AM
<span style="color: #000099">I don't think the US should interfere. Let them sort out their own business. </span>

Soflasnapper
01-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Coming on the heels of the crises in Europe which threaten those economic and political arrangements, the world is in considerable flux, which may be good or bad overall, not sure. Risky, for sure.

Back in the day, Africa was wholly run out of European colonial controls, and even the Arab countries had their ruling arrangements set out of there as well (Great Britain remade the maps and created 'countries' after the fall of the Ottoman Empire after WW I, and put the ruling royal families in place.)

The home-rule by the various African leaders has proven they can f-up the place as bad or worse than under the colonial regimes, and now we're seeing the Arab nations looking to change their rulership arrangements.

I suspect a hidden factor-- the Arabs alone among the great religions still take seriously the Biblical teaching against usury, and by that they mean any interest being charged (not just excessive interest). So they are not integrated into the world dominating banking system as to their people (even though the Saudis and prolly all the other top money Arab country rulers put their excess monies into the western banking system).

Sev
01-31-2011, 11:36 AM
If civil wars turn out to be rule rather than the exception things will get economically dicey.

cushioncrawler
01-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately, adolf lost. Pity.
mac.

Sev
01-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Nobody would have cared if he was after Muslims.

cushioncrawler
01-31-2011, 05:29 PM
We (they) need tyrants to rule properly. But good tyrants, not bad tryrants -- are there any good tyrants at prezent???? -- probly not. Saddam woz a bad tryrant.

The belgians and french and dutch and deutch and pomms etc were much better (for the locals) than what we hav now (talking about afrika).

Afrika etc might hav had a chance of working if the boundarys had been more sensible -- ie lots more (very small) countrys -- dunno.

Adolf would hav known what best to do. Yes, adolf kood hav been the much loved pappa of modern afrika.
mac.

pooltchr
01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm updating my resume right now to include "good tyrant".
Where do I apply?

Steve

cushioncrawler
01-31-2011, 05:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coming on the heels of the crises in Europe which threaten those I suspect a hidden factor-- the Arabs alone among the great religions still take seriously the Biblical teaching against usury, and by that they mean any interest being charged (not just excessive interest). So they are not integrated into the world dominating banking system as to their people (even though the Saudis and prolly all the other top money Arab country rulers put their excess monies into the western banking system).</div></div>Islam's wall street eezyly sidesteps the quran -- the extra repayments are never called interest (spit) -- they simply make the repayments add up to more than the loan -- and they uze any number of simple trix -- but never called interest (spit) -- Arab calculators dont hav a % key.
mac.

cushioncrawler
01-31-2011, 08:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm updating my resume right now to include "good tyrant". Where do I apply? Steve</div></div>Steve -- This iznt a good time to get into tyranny. Especially with so many tyrants on the dole at prezent. But "good tyrant" iz the way to go for sure.

Hav u tyrannized anyone lately -- this would look good on the resume. If u hav been tyrannized by the missus i wouldnt mention that -- she might end up getting the job.

"Steve" iz a bit lame. I would change it to "Vlad". "Big Bad Vlad" iz katchy.

Then u havta check out the jobs section of the saturday papers. Here u go down to the HQ of the paper and u blow it up. This shows that u are serious.

Prezentation at interview iz important. Blocking the road out front with tanks allways makes a good first impression.

I wouldnt tyrannize the first country i saw. Hav they got an airport. Do they print their own money. Check carefully.
mac.

Soflasnapper
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coming on the heels of the crises in Europe which threaten those I suspect a hidden factor-- the Arabs alone among the great religions still take seriously the Biblical teaching against usury, and by that they mean any interest being charged (not just excessive interest). So they are not integrated into the world dominating banking system as to their people (even though the Saudis and prolly all the other top money Arab country rulers put their excess monies into the western banking system).</div></div>Islam's wall street eezyly sidesteps the quran -- the extra repayments are never called interest (spit) -- they simply make the repayments add up to more than the loan -- and they uze any number of simple trix -- but never called interest (spit) -- Arab calculators dont hav a % key.
mac. </div></div>

Yes, that's true.

JohnnyD
01-31-2011, 08:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coming on the heels of the crises in Europe which threaten those I suspect a hidden factor-- the Arabs alone among the great religions still take seriously the Biblical teaching against usury, and by that they mean any interest being charged (not just excessive interest). So they are not integrated into the world dominating banking system as to their people (even though the Saudis and prolly all the other top money Arab country rulers put their excess monies into the western banking system).</div></div>Islam's wall street eezyly sidesteps the quran -- the extra repayments are never called interest (spit) -- they simply make the repayments add up to more than the loan -- and they uze any number of simple trix -- but never called interest (spit) -- Arab calculators dont hav a % key.
mac. </div></div>

Yes, that's true. </div></div>Excellent post.

JohnnyD
01-31-2011, 08:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm updating my resume right now to include "good tyrant".
Where do I apply?

Steve </div></div>West Virginia school system

Stretch
02-01-2011, 01:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm updating my resume right now to include "good tyrant". Where do I apply? Steve</div></div>Steve -- This iznt a good time to get into tyranny. Especially with so many tyrants on the dole at prezent. But "good tyrant" iz the way to go for sure.

Hav u tyrannized anyone lately -- this would look good on the resume. If u hav been tyrannized by the missus i wouldnt mention that -- she might end up getting the job.

"Steve" iz a bit lame. I would change it to "Vlad". "Big Bad Vlad" iz katchy.

Then u havta check out the jobs section of the saturday papers. Here u go down to the HQ of the paper and u blow it up. This shows that u are serious.

Prezentation at interview iz important. Blocking the road out front with tanks allways makes a good first impression.

I wouldnt tyrannize the first country i saw. Hav they got an airport. Do they print their own money. Check carefully.
mac. </div></div>

LMFAO!!! TOOO FUNNY! St.

LWW
02-01-2011, 04:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm updating my resume right now to include "good tyrant".
Where do I apply?

Steve </div></div>

I remember a personality test I took once for an employer.

One of the categories it stated that I would excel at was benevolent dictator.

LWW

cushioncrawler
02-01-2011, 04:20 AM
Dick Benevolenti. I like it.

I woz once called a bit right of genghis khan -- dunno if that woz ok or not.
mac.

cushioncrawler
02-01-2011, 04:25 AM
Genghis Khan a Prolific Lover, DNA Data ImpliesHillary Mayell
for National Geographic News

February 14, 2003
Genghis Khan, the fearsome Mongolian warrior of the 13th century, may have done more than rule the largest empire in the world; according to a recently published genetic study, he may have helped populate it too.

An international group of geneticists studying Y-chromosome data have found that nearly 8 percent of the men living in the region of the former Mongol empire carry y-chromosomes that are nearly identical. That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million descendants living today.

Documentary Redraws Humans' Family Tree
The spread of the chromosome could be the result of natural selection, in which an extremely fit individual manages to pass on some sort of biological advantage. The authors think this scenario is unlikely. They suggest that the unique set of circumstances surrounding the establishment of the Mongol empire led to the spread.

"This is a clear example that culture plays a very big role in patterns of genetic variation and diversity in human populations," said geneticist Spencer Wells, one of the 23 co-authors of the paper. "It's the first documented case when human culture has caused a single genetic lineage to increase to such an enormous extent in just a few hundred years."

Legacy of Genghis Khan

To have such a startling impact on a population required a special set of circumstances, all of which are met by Genghis Khan and his male relatives, the authors note in the study published in the American Journal of Human Genetics.

Khan's empire at the time of his death extended across Asia, from the Pacific Ocean to the Caspian Sea. His military conquests were frequently characterized by the wholesale slaughter of the vanquished. His descendants extended the empire and maintained power in the region for several hundred years, in civilizations in which harems and concubines were the norm. And the males were markedly prolific.

Khan's eldest son, Tushi, is reported to have had 40 sons. Documents written during or just after Khan's reign say that after a conquest, looting, pillaging, and rape were the spoils of war for all soldiers, but that Khan got first pick of the beautiful women. His grandson, Kubilai Khan, who established the Yuan Dynasty in China, had 22 legitimate sons, and was reported to have added 30 virgins to his harem each year.

"The historically documented events accompanying the establishment of the Mongol empire would have contributed directly to the spread of this lineage," the authors conclude.