PDA

View Full Version : What do these people have in common?

Soflasnapper
02-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Henry Cabot Lodge
William Miller
Hubert Humphrey
Sargeant Shriver
Spiro Agnew
Nelson Rockefeller
Bob Dole
Walter Mondale
Geraldine Ferraro
Lloyd Bentsen
Dan Quayle
Al Gore
Joe Lieberman
John Roberts
Dick Cheney
Joe Biden
Sarah Palin

All were either Vice Presidents, or Vice Presidential candidates, who will never be President.

A couple who were VPs later became the presidential nominee (Mondale and Gore) but then lost, and one who was a (failed) VP-nominee became the presidential nominee (Dole) who then lost.

There are few successful 'second acts' when it comes to the Oval Office sweepstakes play.

Sev
02-01-2011, 07:15 PM
A swipe at Palin perchance?

Soflasnapper
02-01-2011, 07:38 PM
If the shoe fits...

But my point is that mainly these people were credible and able, but although they achieved high office or nomination for high office, still there may be something institutional about how the people see a defeated VP nominee that makes the people unwilling to reconsider them in a reprised candidacy.

LWW
02-02-2011, 04:12 AM
When was John Roberts a VP candidate?

LWW

Sev
02-02-2011, 06:49 AM
You know I saw that and scratched my head.
But then not being familiar with all past VP candidates figured it might be a coincidence.

LWW
02-02-2011, 07:11 AM
I try to stay up on history ... but I don't recall ever hearing of a John Roberts on a major ticket.

That doesn't mean there wasn't one ... but my curiosity is piqued?

LWW

eg8r
02-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Pretty interesting.

eg8r

pooltchr
02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Without researching, I can only think of one POTUS in recent history who was VP before being elected being Nixon...although there were a couple who inherited the office.

Maybe there is some overexposure to the VPs that render them unelectable.

Steve

Soflasnapper
02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When was John Roberts a VP candidate?

LWW </div></div>

Sorry, that should have been John EDWARDS-- EDWARDS.

I should have double-checked my list and caught that error.

I think his very name is embarrassing to me 'cause I voted for the miscreant in the '08 Florida primary.

Soflasnapper
02-02-2011, 11:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without researching, I can only think of one POTUS in recent history who was VP before being elected being Nixon...although there were a couple who inherited the office.

Maybe there is some overexposure to the VPs that render them unelectable.

Steve </div></div>

GHW Bush as well (how soon we forget!). He was the only VP to be separately elected president without having first become the sitting president by succession, since early 1800 days (Van Buren the other?).

That poor history of VPs able to go from that office to the presidency themselves was sometimes mentioned when such a current or former VP was running for the nomination for president.

I think it has to do with how VP picks are made. It's never that they are the second best person to BE president, but some other political calculation that doesn't translate into their personal electoral success when they try to go to the next level.

pooltchr
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I believe Nixon was also the number 2 man before moving into the White House.

Steve

LWW
02-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Excellent post.

LWW