PDA

View Full Version : Is an I-Pad any good as an E-book reader.

Chopstick
02-02-2011, 07:25 PM
I have a lot of e-books to get through and I don't like this big old laptop in my lap. I am thinking about a kindle but I would go for something with more general usefulness if it had a readable screen like a kindle.

I thought the laptop would be fine for it but it weighs five pounds and it gets hot.

Sev
02-02-2011, 07:27 PM
I dont know but that just released the Daily app today. It looks great!

LWW
02-03-2011, 04:08 AM
I own neither, a friend has both and he tried endlessly to get m hooked on a Kindle ... and then on an iPad.

Being old school I like a book myself.

That being said, I have used both of his for a weekend as a "demo" and will offer this up:

1 - For reading a "BOOK" The Kindle is far superior. It looks much more like a black ink on white paper than the iPad. It also is more resistant to glare.

2 - In anything containing color photos, such as magazines or web pages, the iPad reverses things and is the hands down winner.

LWW

Chopstick
02-03-2011, 08:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own neither, a friend has both and he tried endlessly to get m hooked on a Kindle ... and then on an iPad.

Being old school I like a book myself.

That being said, I have used both of his for a weekend as a "demo" and will offer this up:

1 - For reading a "BOOK" The Kindle is far superior. It looks much more like a black ink on white paper than the iPad. It also is more resistant to glare.

2 - In anything containing color photos, such as magazines or web pages, the iPad reverses things and is the hands down winner.

LWW </div></div>

I have too many books. The size and weight of my library from the computer business is no longer practical. I used to keep a couple of hundred pounds of them in the car as reference materials during the day. I couldn't leave them at work because I might need them to work at night. I threw away 2000lbs of them during my last move. I still have about 1000lbs in storage. With e-books I can carry all that in a USB drive.

My trading library is starting to grow at a scary rate. I am up to about 150lbs right now. That could easily go over a ton in the next few years. I have to get some kind of long term e-book solution. I am getting to old to be dragging all those books around and I can no longer read them without reading glasses which ruin my eyes.

eg8r
02-03-2011, 09:47 AM
LOL, the problem with your ebooks is the file type. Kindle uses proprietary software along with iBooks. I believe there are apps like Stanza that will allow you to read the books you already own but you would need to look into that.

With all that being said, as long as there is an app for iPad that will allow you to read the books you already own, I think the iPad is a great book reader. It is also a bunch more. You can surf the web, play music, games, productivity apps, movies, etc. The kindle is strictly an electronic reader and nothing else. The others are the same as the kindle, just readers. The only advantage of the Kindle is if you are going to be reading by the pool in direct sunlight it would easier to read than on the iPad. This has never been an issue with me.

Zagg also has a "case" for the iPad called the Zaggmate. It is fantastic if you are going to ever do any typing. It has a bluetooth keyboard attached to the case.

eg8r

eg8r
02-03-2011, 09:51 AM
You will want to compare what is available in the Amazon Kindle store vs iBooks. The beauty of the iPad is that there is a Kindle app for free so if you like iBooks better than you can still have both with an iPad.

On the iPad, I totally prefer iBooks over the Kindle app because it feels more like reading a book. The page actually flips over and feels like a book.

The only advantage I have seen for Kindle over iPad is the glare issue with the iPad. The newer version if iPad will probably have a brighter screen which should cut this down some.

eg8r

LWW
02-03-2011, 09:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the iPad, I totally prefer iBooks over the Kindle app because it feels more like reading a book. The page actually flips over and feels like a book.

eg8r </div></div>

I've heard that dogearing it isn't covered by Apple's warranty. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

LWW

eg8r
02-03-2011, 09:54 AM
No you don't want to fold the screen. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

LWW
02-03-2011, 09:55 AM
That's where they get you ...

LWW

LAMas
02-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Kindle for NPR.
Free 3G Wireless No monthly payments, no annual contracts
Built-In Wi-Fi In addition to the 3G wireless, you can connect to Wi-Fi hotspots

Deeman3
02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
The only two drawbacks on the I Pad are screen contrast in bright sun and the weight, Of course, to me it does so much more I don't see the Kindle as being good for anything else but it costs about as much as a good meal out so that may be a consideration.

eg8r
02-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I was hoping you would chime in on this since you have had yours the longest. I agree the Kindle is just a reader and nothing else.

eg8r