PDA

View Full Version : TAP 8-ball team took 1st in the season tourney!

heater451
02-05-2011, 08:23 PM
We were the wild card team too--which makes this the 2nd time that's happened for me, with the last in 2003!

I had to play a 7 in the first round, in a 5-2 race. I think it ended 2-2, and I feel a little bad because the last rack broke for crap (totally dead). I never rack badly on purpose, but I always think it looks like I did, and since I was already on the hill, it seemed even more suspect. . . .

Anyone else hate when their rack makes them look bad?

And, on a side note, a couple of weeks ago during an APA 9-ball match, I was basically accused of cheating--my opponent thought I was padding the innings, because I started out like 12 points/balls behind, and then ran something like 18 points, to my opponents 4, in the last few games!

I'm sensing a trend here, that doesn't make me feel good. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Rich R.
02-06-2011, 06:13 AM
As long as you know you're not slug racking or padding innings, don't worry about it. We have all had matches that look like we're pulling something.

As far as the racking goes, on a well used table, you may think you have a tight rack and when you walk away, they just flop apart. Whenever it looks like I may have slug racked, I ask if the rack was good and offer to rerack for a rebreak. I rarely have anyone take the offer.

Also, don't assume a bad break was the fault of a bad rack. It could have been his break. He may not have hit the balls solid.

I used to say I broke like a girl but stopped saying that because I was insulting too many girls. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

heater451
02-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Well, he has a good break shot, so it had that thunderous "crack", but hardly anything moved. I don't think it would even have been a legal break, except that the *one* ball that went anywhere, got pocketed, so we played it out.

I was going to ask for a re-rack, but he took the next shot before I brought it up to him. The thing that got to me was that his teammate was standing a few feet away and said, "That wasn't the table." I was even thinking about having that guy rack next time, or getting an independent party, just to avoid any conflict!

Rich R.
02-07-2011, 07:19 AM
If your opponent took his second shot that quickly, he must have been alright with the rack. Maybe he knew he didn't hit the rack well. You can still get that loud "crack" and not hit them well. I wouldn't worry about it. Just continue to do your best. That is all you can do.