PDA

View Full Version : Squirt and Deflection

Tom_In_Cincy
09-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Bob Jewett has been revisiting Squirt and Deflection in the last two issues of BD. Mr. Jewett has informed his readers th at Squirt is a property of the cue ball and Deflection is a property of the cue stick.

I agree and have some of questions:

How do you adjust for squirt? do you just practice differents distances of shot with inside and outside english? Over and Over?

Do you have a system that you can share?

09-07-2002, 08:29 PM
i would say that from my own observations there is a certain speed that you can hit the cb with very little of either ( or at least an exact counter action of the two) i base all of my shots on this pace.. anything harder and i have to adjust accordingly.. anything softer, same goes, but at least i have this middle of the road shot to base everything from.

Chris Cass
09-07-2002, 08:37 PM
Hi Tom,

I have to agree with Ken on this one too. I think it's mainly in the speed and follow through of the cb hit.

C.C.

TonyM
09-07-2002, 11:04 PM
"How do you adjust for squirt? do you just practice differents distances of shot with inside and outside english? Over and Over?"

When I first learned the game (well I'm still learning it!), that's how I did it. In fact, I never heard anyone suggest that there was any other way!

Trial and error, shoot them over and over again, hopefully, you might eventually get the hang of it.

For myself, and many of the players that I knew in Toronto, low squirt cues were a godsend. If you adjusted for squirt by the seat of your pants, it made it easier to have less adjustment to compensate for.

Later, as I learned more about squirt, and swerve and throw, I began experimenting with other ideas.

Today I still use judgement for many typical shots using sidespin, but I also use back hand english for shots that don't come up that often.

I also teach both methods. I think that BHE can be used as a primary method of squirt compensation, or as a method to teach yourself the correct cue angle, or as a second opinion on shots that you seldom encounter.

Where many players get fouled up, is that squirt correction is not really about finding the correct aim point for a series of shots using a specific amount of english.

It is really about finding the correct cue ANGLE, that can be used for any shot with any amount of english. Trial and error could take many years to get there, if ever. And if you change sticks, you have to start over again.

BHE at least can show you the correct angle that the cue needs to be set at in order for the shot to work.

Thus I think it is a good teaching tool, and for some a good way to compensate for squirt even if they don't have a lot of time to practice.

Using what I now know about squirt, I can play with virtually any cue, and be comfortable using sidespin within just a few shots.

Tony
-and it ain't talent, I can assure you!

EZMark
09-08-2002, 09:58 AM
Ralph Greenleaf used backhand english to off set deflection,the key is the bridge. My normal is 10" but when using it, back hand english I make sure my bridge is 8" not just to shorten it but to make sure the fulcrum is consistant. Thnx EZMark

Tom_In_Cincy
09-08-2002, 10:48 AM
I am really interested in any "instructions" on this subject. I have always been told that its just practice and trial and error. And, that's what I have been doing. It does work and has worked well for me... In fact I have some practice drills on my website that are basically long inside or outside cut shots that can only be made if you adjust for squirt.

Just wondering if there is any type of instruction out there?

09-09-2002, 07:35 AM

Ross
09-09-2002, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Please pardon my ignorance. What is back hand english (BHE)? Thanks, WW <hr></blockquote>

It is a method that is designed to automatically make aiming adjustments that exactly compensate for the effects of squirt when putting side english on the cb.

Line up your shot aiming through the center of the cb. Now if you want to put right english on the cb, move your back hand to the left, pivoting on your bridge. This will mean the line of your cue is pointed at an angle slightly to the right of its original alignment. Stroke straight through along the new alignment, and hopefully you will hit the ob at the point that you originally aimed at since the new alighment will exactly cancel out the effects of squirt.

In some cases this method works surprising well. There are two variables that determine the utility of the method though. First is bridge length. When you use BHE with a short bridge, the shift in the aiming line is greater than if you used a longer bridge. Too short of a bridge and BHE will overcompensate for squirt, and vice-versa. The second variable is the cue. Different cues cause different amounts of squirt. The theory is that for every cue, there is a particular bridge length where BHE works perfectly. In fact, one of the ways cues are tested for the degree of squirt they cause, is by experimentally determining the bridge length where BHE works. For high squirt cues, this bridge length is just a few inches; for low squirt cues (like the Predator) the bridge length may be 20 - 30" or so. Obviously, BHE would not work for an extremely low squirt cue.

If you find yourself consistently undercutting balls when you use outside english or overcutting with inside english, try using BHE to give you an idea of how much to adjust your aim to allow for squirt.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-09-2002, 07:34 PM
BHE is still taught by practice and trial and error. And, is very specific to the cue and bridge piont.. I use a combination of both.. depending on the shot.. short shots BHE and long shots direct aim offset. Or is it the other way around?..

Cueless Joey
09-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Tom, do you move stroking hand or you sway your rear and lock it when using BHE?
Thanx.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-09-2002, 08:01 PM
I actually move my rear.. funny you should ask.. I have had players comment about my waggle.. LOL

Cueless Joey
09-09-2002, 08:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I actually move my rear.. funny you should ask.. I have had players comment about my waggle.. LOL <hr></blockquote>
I do the same. lol
I don't like altering my natural swing, it's crooked enough. I saw an instructor one time teaching cocking the wrist inward/outward and he called it tuck and roll, but I wasn't interested.

Rod
09-09-2002, 11:46 PM
Tom,
Short shots really don't need or very little if any BHE. Long shots is where it is most beneficial. I use BHE the way Tony describes at times but most of the time it is on the fly. Not something to teach IMO but it is effective. When your at the Open check the original cue angle and follow thru on spin shots. Your going to see some that the shaft angle is parallel to aim and it finishes well out to the right if right english is used, same for left. I adjust very little for squirt most of the time or that is what I believe, it may just be built into my aim.

I think misses are due to just not aiming correctly with english. I know this is just way to brilliant/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif but english throws off their aim. It really can throw people off when they look at a large tip offset. It looks natural to me but then I guess that's years of play. It still doesn't mean I make all of them. Tony mentioned the cue angle being important and I agree, but when people look at the "correct" cue angle with lots of spin they will swear they are going to hit it full in the face. I have played with a number of cues including Predator and it really doesn't change for me anyway. Speed and type of stroke plus bridge length are all factors. I don't know any easy answers it takes time no matter how you play these shots. Someone mentioned a medium speed, I believe, and I tend to agree you need a base line for these shots and vary the distance from short to med and long.