PDA

View Full Version : Update......

Qtec
02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't want to blow my own trumpet but................

In late 2009 I made a post here about two young kids I was training. I was <u>only</u> training these two kids at the time. We spent about a year together before my new job made it impossible to continue [ split shifts , days then nights etc].

Anyway, at the time they were now playing in one of <u>our</u> teams [ <u>I still work every Sunday at the pool hall</u> ] and they got spotted and were included in the Dutch Nat Team.

I was proud. I thought I had done my job.

A couple of months ago the Dutch junior Champs took place.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>My boys took all honours. Between them they won the 8B, 9B, 10B and 14:1!</span>

Qtec.............over the moon...just had to tell someone.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Soflasnapper
02-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Nice work, Q! Congrats for their success and your part in it.

How were their skills coming into your tutelage? Prodigies, highly talented, something that would have led you to think they had this in them?

LWW
02-07-2011, 04:25 AM
Congrats Q.

LWW

Sev
02-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Excellent Q!! Job well done.

Fran Crimi
02-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm not the least bit surprised. I knew you had the talent --- both as a player and as a teacher. Congrats.

Rich R.
02-07-2011, 01:41 PM
You must have done something right Q.
Congrats to you and your students.

Deeman3
02-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Congratulation, Q, I know how difficult it is to win all the disciplines!

Great Job!

eg8r
02-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Congrats. Did they thank their coach?

eg8r

Qtec
02-08-2011, 04:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work, Q! </div></div>

Thanks S and also to all the other posters for their kind words.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats for their success and your part in it. </div></div>

I consider my part as as small, but important. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How were their skills coming into your tutelage? </div></div>

Good question.

One of them had a small table at home and had obviously had some coaching from his cousin who plays at the club. [ Actually he was the one who asked me to take a look at the kid ] After 5 mins I knew he could be really good, he just didn't know how to use what he had, if that makes sense.
The other [ 12yrs ] had been playing I guess 6 months, mostly with his dad. I was going to teach the younger one so I asked him if he was interested in lessons. Basically I took a chance on someone who I thought had raw talent. Didn't turn out too badly. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Prodigies, highly talented, something that would have led you to think they had this in them? </div></div>

You never know. In the end it all comes down to mentality and you have no control over that.

I look for two things to detect natural talent. The eyes and how they hold the cue.

Q........still chuffed. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Qtec
02-08-2011, 05:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats. Did they thank their coach?

eg8r </div></div>

Actually the younger kid's dad phoned me after his son won both disciplines on the first day. He was well pleased. That was enough for me, nice guy.

The other one, ..the older one....the difficult one.. LOL...., ..hasn't said a word.
He is so cool its like nothing happened!..LOL..

<u>He could go a long way.</u>

I don't want glory. If I can help a kid reach his/her full potential, that's reward enough for me.

Q

Deeman3
02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Hold out for 10%! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Scott Lee
02-14-2011, 11:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to blow my own trumpet but................

In late 2009 I made a post here about two young kids I was training. I was <u>only</u> training these two kids at the time. We spent about a year together before my new job made it impossible to continue [ split shifts , days then nights etc].

Anyway, at the time they were now playing in one of <u>our</u> teams [ <u>I still work every Sunday at the pool hall</u> ] and they got spotted and were included in the Dutch Nat Team.

I was proud. I thought I had done my job.

A couple of months ago the Dutch junior Champs took place.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>My boys took all honours. Between them they won the 8B, 9B, 10B and 14:1!</span>

Qtec.............over the moon...just had to tell someone.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

</div></div>

Qtec...That's fantastic news! Hope to hear about "your boys" in future world tournaments. Care to name them?

Scott Lee

Gayle in MD
02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Kudos! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif