PDA

View Full Version : New topic

eg8r
02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
So, what else is there to talk about here besides politics. Anything other than politics usually die off quickly so here is an open thread to talk about anything...

eg8r

pooltchr
02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Anyone watching American Idol this season?

Will there be an NFL season next year?

Can Jimmy Johnson win another Sprint cup championship?

Who are the early frontrunners for the NCAA tournament?

How's that for starters?

Steve

LWW
02-09-2011, 12:15 AM
No.

Yes.

Maybe.

Ohio State.

LWW

sack316
02-09-2011, 12:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone watching American Idol this season?</div></div>

Nah, haven't watched that since season 1. I'll tune in now and then, but just can't get into it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will there be an NFL season next year?</div></div>

I think so. I'm not 100% sure it will get done by the set deadline, and there may be a brief preseason lockout even... but there's just too much money to lose for everyone for them to not at least work out a quick fix temporary deal, if nothing else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can Jimmy Johnson win another Sprint cup championship?</div></div>

I don't see why not

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who are the early frontrunners for the NCAA tournament?</div></div>

OSU is definitely the big favorite right now IMO. One school that may be an odd case of big school bracket buster is Alabama (I hate to say that!) But after a sad 5-6 start they've quietly gone 10-1 since then. Granted the only 'good' teams they beat in that run were Kentucky and Tennessee, but they are playing good ball right now. With Vandy and Florida the only tough games left they should reach 21-22 wins or so. With even a decent showing in the SEC tourney they could be a formidable 10-12th seed. Just a random thought there.

Anyway, back on point... OSU, Pitt, Kansas, and throw a dart at a list of Big East schools

Sack

Qtec
02-09-2011, 03:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, what else is there to talk about here besides politics. Anything other than politics usually die off quickly so here is an open thread to talk about anything...

eg8r </div></div>

Just so happens I just watched a fascinating but sad docu called Made in America. Don't be put off by the title. Its not political in the sense of Dems v GOP. Its just one perspective on a present day problem and how that came about.

Q CRIPS AND BLOODS - MADE IN AMERICA (PART 1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3wevH_Dy1M&feature=related)

cushioncrawler
02-09-2011, 04:47 AM
I hav put in 100's of hours lately on human powered boats.
I woz particularly impressed with DDWFTTW.
This iz amazing. A wind powered propellor car going downwind at 3.5 times the speed of the wind -- no added power of any sort.

Plus of course wind turbine and water propellor powered boats going very fast dead into the wind -- which i hav known about for years.

But, where i hav really impressed myself, iz that i hav designed two kompletely revolutionary (pun intended) types of paddlewheel, for human powered boating, but allso good for ordinary engines and motors.
I might patent my paddlewheel ideas -- dunno.

I am today designing a dismantleable catamaran pontoon boat, that will fit neatly in the back of your station wagon.
It can be driven by any and every system known to man.
But i intend to make one, and, ready for this, i will pole it.

Yes, a poled pontoon cat, poled by a pole uzing a pole.
mackiewicz.

(edit) Just realized. I hav in fakt designed 3 kompletely revolutionary types of paddlewheel.

I kan add. I hav been reading lots of blogs about the efficiency of paddlewheels and props etc -- and thems engineers and scientists are skrewing up bigtime (pun intended) -- they are smarter than me, but they are really skrewing up some basics.
Krappynomix all over again.

I kan add. I made my first model paddlewheel boat in about 1957, when i woz 10yrs old. I ran it up and down a horse-trough on our corner. Yes, in thems days horses pulled our milk-carts and bakers-carts. The horse-trough iz gone now. Pity.
This paddlewheeler woz driven by gravity. I wound a cord round the shaft, and had a lead sinker on the end, and when the sinker sank, it turned the paddlewheel, and the boat paddled to the other end of the trough.

Irish joke. An irishman once patented a paddlewheeler submarine.
mac.

Just realized -- it iz in fakt 4 revolutionary new types of paddlewheel power.
I would love to giv u a clue about any of theze 4 -- but any sort of deskription at all would giv the game away kompletely.
mac.

Qtec
02-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Is that all? You really need to pull your socks up and stop lounging about.

Q............. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif ....WOW...wish I had that amount of energy. Way to go C. Keep us up to date. Just to be on the safe sid.

Oh BTW, if Palin can patent her name.........why she would want to I have no idea...patent what you design, just to be on the safe side.

cushioncrawler
02-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Palin iz silly az a wheel.
Hmmmm -- Palin -- obviously short for something, something polish.
Palinski. Palinowski. Palinkiewicz.

Which reminds me -- polish girls never had sex till they were fat and ugly.
mac.

Kood hav been ------
Palinczak.
Palinczyk.
Palingrubber.
Palingruber.
VonPalingruber.

Its sort of like -- Adolf Schicklgruber.
mac.

eg8r
02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I am watching AI this year and think adding Steven Tyler has been fantastic. It is refreshing to not have the negativity of Cowell and Tyler is quick on his feet and funny. It is nice to see the judges "interact" with the contestants a bit more but I think that is because there are two new "fresh" judges instead of a couple worn out ones. Cowell just looked completely bored with the show last year.

eg8r

eg8r
02-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Not sure if I will have the time soon to watch the docu.

eg8r

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 02:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hav put in 100's of hours lately on human powered boats.
I woz particularly impressed with DDWFTTW.
This iz amazing. A wind powered propellor car going downwind at 3.5 times the speed of the wind -- no added power of any sort.

Plus of course wind turbine and water propellor powered boats going very fast dead into the wind -- which i hav known about for years.

But, where i hav really impressed myself, iz that i hav designed two kompletely revolutionary (pun intended) types of paddlewheel, for human powered boating, but allso good for ordinary engines and motors.
I might patent my paddlewheel ideas -- dunno.

I am today designing a dismantleable catamaran pontoon boat, that will fit neatly in the back of your station wagon.
It can be driven by any and every system known to man.
But i intend to make one, and, ready for this, i will pole it.

Yes, a poled pontoon cat, poled by a pole uzing a pole.
mackiewicz.

(edit) Just realized. I hav in fakt designed 3 kompletely revolutionary types of paddlewheel.

I kan add. I hav been reading lots of blogs about the efficiency of paddlewheels and props etc -- and thems engineers and scientists are skrewing up bigtime (pun intended) -- they are smarter than me, but they are really skrewing up some basics.
Krappynomix all over again.

I kan add. I made my first model paddlewheel boat in about 1957, when i woz 10yrs old. I ran it up and down a horse-trough on our corner. Yes, in thems days horses pulled our milk-carts and bakers-carts. The horse-trough iz gone now. Pity.
This paddlewheeler woz driven by gravity. I wound a cord round the shaft, and had a lead sinker on the end, and when the sinker sank, it turned the paddlewheel, and the boat paddled to the other end of the trough.

Irish joke. An irishman once patented a paddlewheeler submarine.
mac.

Just realized -- it iz in fakt 4 revolutionary new types of paddlewheel power.
I would love to giv u a clue about any of theze 4 -- but any sort of deskription at all would giv the game away kompletely.
mac. </div></div>HEY Mac JohnnyD here...I like that one you showed me last month..I'd be interested but have no storage in my apt in Manhattan.great design.Maybe mre orders will come in soon.Thanks again
JohnnyD.

Sev
02-09-2011, 02:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, what else is there to talk about here besides politics. Anything other than politics usually die off quickly so here is an open thread to talk about anything...

eg8r </div></div>

Does size matter? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

cushioncrawler
02-09-2011, 02:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HEY Mac JohnnyD here...I like that one you showed me last month..I'd be interested but have no storage in my apt in Manhattan.great design.Maybe mre orders will come in soon.Thanks again JohnnyD.</div></div>JD -- I karnt remember (last month), woz that some sort of boat??
That pontoon cat that i am talking about probly wont happen. madSherie sez i am not building a boat.

But i allready hav a name -- PoleCat. Koz it iz poled by a pole uzing a pole.
In fakt i hav thort of 5 new paddlewheel arrangements, and this one woz No5 (or woz it No4, karnt remember).
This one iz the most unlikely -- its allmost a joke really -- so i will deskribe.

There are approx 6 paddlewheel innovations out there allready -- and mac's No5 iz in effekt (say) No11 overall. So, (mac's) No11 iz based on (someone else's) No6.
No6 iz a paddlewheel that haz 2 paddles but no wheel. Koz, each paddle iz on the end of a leg. The pedal moovment iz konverted to (what looks like) a walking motion (looks weird).

Anyhow, (mac's) No11 simply takes away the 2 paddles and replaces them with 2 poles -- for poling in shallow lakes etc.
This PoleCat would then look like the (pontoon style) weed cutter that cut weeds at our local lake. Except that the 2 poles uzed by the weed cutter dont propel the pontoon, they only cut the weeds (at mud level). The cutter pontoon iz aktually propelled by 2 paddlewheels.

Re utilizing the (patented) walking-legs kontraption (for the PoleCat) -- i dont havta uze walking-legs at all -- there are lots of simpler ways that would work even better.
In fakt standing up and uzing a pole the oldfashioned way would be best.

Anyhow, the PoleCat kood be propelled lots of ways -- a 3hp outboard would be dandy (if u aint got a shallow lake).

Each hull (2) iz made of 3 sexions, 6 in all. The 2 main sexions stow one inside the other, and 2 of the other 4 stow inside the 2 main sexions. The deck iz in 2 sexions -- one stows in the other -- and the 4 hull sexions stow inside the deck sexions, leaving 2 hull sexions on their own.
And the whole lot fits eezyly in the back of a stationwagon, if u lay the back seats down (L = 1800mm) -- unless u prefer to uze your roofracks.
Oh, i nearly forgot, the pole needstabe at least 4m, but that can eezyly be made teleskopik.
mac.
Still thinking.

cushioncrawler
02-09-2011, 03:02 PM
I hav vizions of Gayle out on her yacht, being passed by madMac poling hiz PoleCat.

Hmmmmmmm -- PolskiKatski written on its side.
mac.

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 03:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HEY Mac JohnnyD here...I like that one you showed me last month..I'd be interested but have no storage in my apt in Manhattan.great design.Maybe mre orders will come in soon.Thanks again JohnnyD.</div></div>JD -- I karnt remember (last month), woz that some sort of boat??
That pontoon cat that i am talking about probly wont happen. madSherie sez i am not building a boat.

In fakt i hav thort of 5 new paddlewheel arrangements, and this one woz No5 (or woz it No4, karnt remember).
This one iz the most unlikely -- its allmost a joke really -- so i will deskribe.

There are approx 6 paddlewheel innovations out there allready -- and mac's No5 iz in effekt (say) No11 overall. So, (mac's) No11 iz based on (someone else's) No6.
No6 iz a paddlewheel that haz 2 paddles but no wheel. Koz, each paddle iz on the end of a leg. The pedal moovment iz konverted to (what looks like) a walking motion (looks weird).

Anyhow, (mac's) No11 simply takes away the 2 paddles and replaces them with 2 poles -- for poling in shallow lakes etc.
This PoleCat would then look like the (pontoon style) weed cutter that cut weeds at our local lake. Except that the 2 poles uzed by the weed cutter dont propel the pontoon, they only cut the weeds (at mud level). The cutter pontoon iz aktually propelled by 2 paddlewheels.

Re utilizing the (patented) walking-legs kontraption (for the PoleCat) -- i dont havta uze walking-legs at all -- there are lots of simpler ways that would work even better.

Anyhow, the PoleCat kood be propelled lots of ways -- a 3hp outboard would be dandy (if u aint got a shallow lake).

Each hull (2) iz made of 3 sexions, 6 in all. The 2 main sexions stow one inside the other, and 2 of the other 4 stow inside the 2 main sexions. The deck iz in 2 sexions -- one stows in the other -- and the 4 hull sexions stow inside the deck sexions, leaving 2 hull sexions on their own.
And the whole lot fits eezyly in the back of a stationwagon, if u lay the back seats down (L = 1800mm) -- unless u prefer to uze your roofracks.
Oh, i nearly forgot, the pole needstabe at least 4m, but that can eezyly be made teleskopik.
mac.
Still thinking. </div></div>Just make sure it is over engineered for safety.You have found the truth and i trust your decision.

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 03:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hav vizions of Gayle out on her yacht, being passed by madMac poling hiz PoleCat.

mac. </div></div>
Ohh my!

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 03:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hav vizions of Gayle out on her yacht, being passed by madMac poling hiz PoleCat.

mac. </div></div>
I would hope that she would have proper attire on!

cushioncrawler
02-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Aktually, paddlewheels are in my blood. In 1957 i made a model paddlewheeler, driven by gravity (a falling lead wt).
In 1969 i worked in a hydraulic laboratory, and tested 4 flow meters, all of the paddlewheel style.

One that i tested woz a Badger pipeline flow meter. This had a plastik paddlewheel laying on its side, partly shrouded.

Two were traditional looking big steel paddlewheels (Dethridge Wheel), for measuring flow in open channels (not for propulsion).

One woz a modern verzion of a Dethridge Wheel. I remember uzing kleer plexi sides so that i kood see what woz going on under the surface, ie at the paddles.
I remember installing lots of piezos and tubes in varyus places, to tell me how the flows and pressures fluctuated.
Ah, the good ol'days.
mac.

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aktually, paddlewheels are in my blood. In 1957 i made a model paddlewheeler, driven by gravity (a falling lead wt).
In 1969 i worked in a hydraulic laboratory, and tested 4 flow meters, all of the paddlewheel style.

One that i tested woz a Badger pipeline flow meter. This had a plastik paddlewheel laying on its side, partly shrouded.

Two were traditional looking big steel paddlewheels (Dethridge Wheel), for measuring flow in open channels (not for propulsion).

One woz a modern verzion of a Dethridge Wheel. I remember uzing kleer plexi sides so that i kood see what woz going on under the surface, ie at the paddles.
I remember installing lots of piezos and tubes in varyus places, to tell me how the flows and pressures fluctuated.
Ah, the good ol'days.
mac.
</div></div>It all depends on the research involved.

cushioncrawler
02-09-2011, 03:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hav vizions of Gayle out on her yacht, being passed by madMac poling hiz PoleCat. Hmmmmmmm -- PolskiKatski written on its side. mac.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would hope that she would have proper attire on!</div></div>Good thort. I shood hav lots of luvly busty lusty ladys hanging off my PoleCat. At least for the brochure. I would be wearing a stripey T-shirt, undersize, to show up my muscles and 6-pak.
mac.

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 03:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hav vizions of Gayle out on her yacht, being passed by madMac poling hiz PoleCat. Hmmmmmmm -- PolskiKatski written on its side. mac.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would hope that she would have proper attire on!</div></div>Good thort. I shood hav lots of luvly busty lusty ladys hanging off my PoleCat. At least for the brochure. I would be wearing a stripey T-shirt, undersize, to show up my muscles and 6-pak.
mac. </div></div>
Gail is a very religious lady.Please keep that in mind.Thank you.Bless you.

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 03:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HEY Mac JohnnyD here...I like that one you showed me last month..I'd be interested but have no storage in my apt in Manhattan.great design.Maybe mre orders will come in soon.Thanks again JohnnyD.</div></div>JD -- I karnt remember (last month), woz that some sort of boat??

mac.
Still thinking. </div></div>The next time you come up to New York we will get together for some fishing.My friends Harold and Melody informed me of a fabulous secret fishing pond producing trophy size pisces.
As the Babylonians would say have a stupendous day.

cushioncrawler
02-09-2011, 04:01 PM
A friend of a friend took me out fishing on hiz 5.5m Stessl with 115hp merc on Port Phillip. It iz many years since i hav been sea fishing. Didnt do much good. A few small whiting, small flathead, small garfish, small leatherjacket. Anyhow, it woz fun.

I karnt beleev the modern marine satnav and fishfinders -- fantastik. He had the maps of the whole coast of Ozz in that Hummingbird. It told u how fast u were going or drifting, type of bottom, where the fish are. Crazy.
mac.

cushioncrawler
02-09-2011, 04:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The next time you come up to New York we will get together for some fishing.My friends Harold and Melody informed me of a fabulous secret fishing pond producing trophy size pisces. As the Babylonians would say have a stupendous day.</div></div>JD -- U are not allowed to take fishing poles into New York Aquarium.
mac.

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The next time you come up to New York we will get together for some fishing.My friends Harold and Melody informed me of a fabulous secret fishing pond producing trophy size pisces. As the Babylonians would say have a stupendous day.</div></div>JD -- U are not allowed to take fishing poles into New York Aquarium.
mac. </div></div>I know i tried that as a young man.The outcome was not good.

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of a friend took me out fishing on hiz 5.5m Stessl with 115hp merc on Port Phillip. It iz many years since i hav been sea fishing. Didnt do much good. A few small whiting, small flathead, small garfish, small leatherjacket. Anyhow, it woz fun.

I karnt beleev the modern marine satnav and fishfinders -- fantastik. He had the maps of the whole coast of Ozz in that Hummingbird. It told u how fast u were going or drifting, type of bottom, where the fish are. Crazy.
mac. </div></div>Sometimes it depends what the season is.
Bles you.

JohnnyD
02-09-2011, 04:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of a friend took me out fishing on hiz 5.5m Stessl with 115hp merc on Port Phillip. It iz many years since i hav been sea fishing. Didnt do much good. A few small whiting, small flathead, small garfish, small leatherjacket. Anyhow, it woz fun.

mac. </div></div>I will have to try that someday.Thanks.
JohnnyD

LWW
02-10-2011, 02:58 AM
I like cheese.

LWW

cushioncrawler
02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
U (like me) dont beleev in that kolesterol krapp.
mac.

LWW
02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Oh yes I do.

But, I still like cheese.

I believe in Jack LaLane's statement ... "If you put it in your mouth and it tastes good, spit it out."

I just can't muster the will power to live by it.

LWW

pooltchr
02-10-2011, 07:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I believe in Jack LaLane's statement ... "If you put it in your mouth and it tastes good, spit it out."

LWW </div></div>

Spitting out Hershey's chocolate is a sin!

Steve

LWW
02-11-2011, 02:48 AM
I also like old pickup trucks, little baby ducks, and rain.

LWW

Qtec
02-11-2011, 08:28 AM

eg8r </div></div>

How about this.

the Whole Universe as we know it in 'Full HD' (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ea7_1295519516)
Q

eg8r
02-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Yuck, I am no fan of rain right now. The driver's side window in my car broke and will not roll all the way up. I think the gear is stripped inside the motor but haven't taken it apart yet.

eg8r

eg8r
02-11-2011, 09:24 AM
That was pretty cool. I was surprised to see that parts that we have mapped and the black area of what we have not mapped.

eg8r

eg8r
02-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Anyone watch Top Shot? It seems to be that every time they have a skill round that is specific the person that is considered a "pro" in that skill does awful. In episode one season 2 the two pistol shooters missed every shot. Incredible.

eg8r

LWW
02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
A pony walks up to a dog and a bear which had been having a conversation.

The pony asks the bear if he'll yell at the dog for him.

The bear asks why the pony doesn't yell at the dog himself.

The says "Because I'm a little horse."

LWW