PDA

View Full Version : David Cameron's speech

pooltchr
02-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Is this guy for real?
Can we waive the natural born citizen rules again, and get him to run for POTUS?
I've heard some say that he is more a leader of the free world than our president!
I might have to agree!!

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2011/02/terrorism-islam-ideology

This one includes a video clip for those who might have reading comprehension issues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12371994

Steve

Soflasnapper
02-11-2011, 01:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's important to stress that terrorism is not linked exclusively to any one religion or ethnic group.

The UK still faces threats from dissident republicans. </div></div>

I see what you mean. LOL!

pooltchr
02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Odd that you would pick one single comment from an entire speech explaining why the west is facing a huge threat of their own making.

Care to comment on the multi-cultural aspect of his speech? Do you agree or disagree that the kid glove treatment that we have been giving to minority cultures and religions is contributing to our problems?

Steve

pooltchr
02-11-2011, 02:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's important to stress that terrorism is not linked exclusively to any one religion or ethnic group.

The UK still faces threats from dissident republicans. </div></div>

I see what you mean. LOL! </div></div>

BTW...Does that reply qualify as a "one liner"?
Steve

Soflasnapper
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Odd that you would pick one single comment from an entire speech explaining why the west is facing a huge threat of their own making.</div></div>

Yep. It was quite lengthy so I simply took an early snip to snark at. Unfair to the substance of his remarks and your intent in citing them, sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Care to comment on the multi-cultural aspect of his speech? Do you agree or disagree that the kid glove treatment that we have been giving to minority cultures and religions is contributing to our problems?</div></div>

I cannot without going back to read the rest of it. I will say, though, that the experience in Europe is different from ours in a very fundamental way. Which is that they have had monocultures for a long time, and are only NOW (in recent times) trying to accommodate those of differing backgrounds as residents (many of those countries previously imported 'guest workers,' who then returned home when unneeded).

We have been far more the melting pot of allegory lore about America, basically from our beginnings. So I start from a position that whatever may be true of Europe in general or Britain in particular may not apply here, for historical reasons.

LWW
02-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Excellent post.

LWW

LWW
02-11-2011, 03:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Odd that you would pick one single comment from an entire speech explaining why the west is facing a huge threat of their own making.

Steve </div></div>

I didn't find it odd at all that he would do that.
In fact, it's what I've come to expect.

Coming up next ... Reagan did it.

LWW

pooltchr
02-11-2011, 04:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I cannot without going back to read the rest of it. I will say, though, that the experience in Europe is different from ours in a very fundamental way. Which is that they have had monocultures for a long time, and are only NOW (in recent times) trying to accommodate those of differing backgrounds as residents (many of those countries previously imported 'guest workers,' who then returned home when unneeded).

We have been far more the melting pot of allegory lore about America, basically from our beginnings. So I start from a position that whatever may be true of Europe in general or Britain in particular may not apply here, for historical reasons.
</div></div>

I disagree. Yes, European countries have had their individual cultures in the past, and things are now falling apart as the different cultures create some problems.

But while you are correct in stating that America was a melting pot of different cultures, each of those cultures in the past has assimilated into what is known as the American culture. The Irish, the Italians, the Poles, etc all came here, learned the language, and worked to become a part of America. What we have now are pockets of cultural isolationism within our country. They don't become part of America. They are assembling here and making their own cultural pockets of population wherever they go. Try traveling to south Florida. English is no longer the language of choice.

If you want to see what that leads to, you need look no further than our neighbor to the north, where French and English speaking cultures have divided many areas of the country.

We have become too PC to address the problem. God forbid, we might offend someone!

We are making our bed the same way others have done. But we have the advantage of being able to see the disasterous results others have faced. We can still head off those problems here.

Steve

LWW
02-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Excellent post.

I do have to agree with the snapper somewhat however.

The Euros have always been far more racist in nature than America. Because of that we have somewhat self inocculated our nation against Islamic fascism from within, in comparison to Eurabia for instance.

LWW

Soflasnapper
02-14-2011, 09:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I disagree. Yes, European countries have had their individual cultures in the past, and things are now falling apart as the different cultures create some problems.

But while you are correct in stating that America was a melting pot of different cultures, each of those cultures in the past has assimilated into what is known as the American culture. The Irish, the Italians, the Poles, etc all came here, learned the language, and worked to become a part of America. What we have now are pockets of cultural isolationism within our country. They don't become part of America. They are assembling here and making their own cultural pockets of population wherever they go. Try traveling to south Florida. English is no longer the language of choice.

If you want to see what that leads to, you need look no further than our neighbor to the north, where French and English speaking cultures have divided many areas of the country.

We have become too PC to address the problem. God forbid, we might offend someone!

We are making our bed the same way others have done. But we have the advantage of being able to see the disasterous results others have faced. We can still head off those problems here.

Steve </div></div>

I LIVE in South Florida (Sofla in my name refers to that fact).

Generally speaking, the youth assimilate and learn English and adopt our dominant culture, even if the first generation doesn't. Is our dominant culture Americana? No, not these days it isn't.

Yes, if you go down to Little Havana, Calle Ocho, you can have a problem if you need directions. But those people are the Cubans who came here c. 1958-59. This is not a late 20th century, early 21st century situation, but something dating back to the Eisenhower presidency.

I understand there is some problem between English-speaking and French-speaking Canadians, and again, this is an OLD situation. It isn't due to some modernistic multi-culturalist programme, but older historical facts. And I do NOT know of major problems in Canada that relate to it, now that the secessionist movement in Quebec is way back in the rear view mirror. (Yes, they prolly print government forms in two languages, but...)

pooltchr
02-14-2011, 09:54 PM
The point of the speech, and the point I was offering for discussion, what the simple fact that multi-culturalism doesn't work. We have seen it attempted in many countries throughout history. We see in today in the middle east, and the overwhelming result is civil and religious wars.

I lived in Palm Beach County for several years, so I know firsthand what it's like in South Florida. And I know that the problems are growing, not getting better. And the same thing is happening in Arizona, Southern California, New Mexico. Can you honestly make the arguement that the divisions between the cultures is improving?

Steve