PDA

View Full Version : New vids from Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett

dr_dave
02-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Bob Jewett and I filmed a bunch of stuff together recently. Here's the results of our work:

NV B.94 - Cross-side double-kiss bank of frozen ball (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-94.htm)
NV B.95 - Post-rebound spin, angle, and curve for stunned kicks and banks (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-95.htm)
NV B.96 - Grip and bridge technique and advice (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-96.htm)
NV B.97 - Draw shot technique, physics, and examples (http://billiards.colostate.edu/normal_videos/new/NVB-97.htm)
HSV B.48 - "Hit quarter off ball" proposition/trick shot (http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_speed_videos/new/HSVB-48.htm)
HSV B.49 - Cue ball and object ball weight/size difference effects (http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_speed_videos/new/HSVB-49.htm)

Please check out the videos and let us know if you what you think. I'm curious which ones you guys like (or dislike) the best (or worst).

Thanks,
Dave

Bambu
02-14-2011, 09:44 PM
I once knocked that dam quarter off the ball 9 times in a row at Coney Island. But the guy said I had to do 10 in a row to win the big teddy bear. Figured no big deal, another 5 bucks and I will win the bear for my girl. Fifty dollars later, and I still did not get to lug that giant bear home on the F train. I was so pissed, embarassed even. But I could never figure out exactly how the guy was cheating me. Well, now I think I know.

Thanks Dave, great job!

cushioncrawler
02-15-2011, 04:57 AM
Dr Dave -- A quarter used to go further in the oldendays.

Anyhow, great footage, az uzual.
mac.

dr_dave
02-15-2011, 09:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I once knocked that dam quarter off the ball 9 times in a row at Coney Island. But the guy said I had to do 10 in a row to win the big teddy bear. Figured no big deal, another 5 bucks and I will win the bear for my girl. Fifty dollars later, and I still did not get to lug that giant bear home on the F train. I was so pissed, embarassed even. But I could never figure out exactly how the guy was cheating me. Well, now I think I know.</div></div>How do you think he was cheating you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Dave, great job!</div></div>You're welcome ... and thank you.

We aim to squerve, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
Dave

dr_dave
02-15-2011, 09:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dr Dave -- A quarter used to go further in the oldendays.</div></div>Cute. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyhow, great footage, az uzual.
mac. </div></div>Thanks Mac.

Regards,
Dave

BCA Master Instr
02-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Another great job.....thanks
randyg

dr_dave
02-15-2011, 11:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another great job.....thanks
randyg </div></div>Thanks Randy!

Which video did you like the best, and why?

I'd also be curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on the grip/bridge/draw technique videos. Did you agree with all of the information and advice? Do you think we missed anything important?

Thanks,
Dave

pooltchr
02-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Very nice job, Dave (and Bob too)
I particularly liked the draw shot videos.

Steve

cushioncrawler
02-15-2011, 03:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We aim to squerve. Dave</div></div>Dr Dave -- Off topik, but re patrick's squerv.
I had my billiards cue modyfyd -- it woz a 3/4 jointed 17oz -- 10mm tip, ash -- zero ferrule.
I added a 4.5oz wt brass joint near the tip -- wt iz now 21.5oz.
Tip piece iz 14-1/4" long -- ie 14-1/4" of ash befor u reech the brass -- brass joint iz 1-5/8" long.

The "new" 3-piece cue haz less squerv than the "old" 2-piece cue.
The 3P allso haz less squerv than my other cues (some are 9mm).

I know that u & bob hav pointed out that adding wt say 9" kleer of the tip duznt inkreec squerv.
But my "experiment" indicates that wt kan dekreec swerv.

Here when i say dekreec i meen that for a dead-straight pot, if u wanted to uze left english (uzing your own cue), & if u hadta aim dead-center on the OB to get the pot, then if u added a joint (like mine), u would havta aim a bit right of center on OB.
In otherwords, your new 3P cue would praps squirt less, or swerv more, or both.
If this stuff iz likely to go anywhere then it shood hav its own thread.
mac.

While i am on a roll (pun intended).
I rubbed some chalk on a polka-dot ball, and allso on a 2nd ball. Then holding the 2nd ball i gav the polka-dot a glancing blow, about 1/4ball. The polka-dot took off with its spin axis nearnuff 45dg from horizontal.
Here u place the polka-dot ball, and hold the 2nd ball, such that the chalky areas meet at impakt.
This kollizion induced english illustrates the large amount of ball'to'ball friktion that iz gotten in a chalk kick.

Uken get about 35dg "of english" if u just place the 2 balls touching, and hit the 1st ball with a cue uzing inside english.
The polka-dot ball kan be made to kum off a rail at 60dg (when attacking the rail at 90dg).
mac.

BCA Master Instr
02-15-2011, 07:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another great job.....thanks
randyg </div></div>Thanks Randy!

Which video did you like the best, and why?

I'd also be curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on the grip/bridge/draw technique videos. Did you agree with all of the information and advice? Do you think we missed anything important?

Thanks,
Dave </div></div>

Well, since you asked:

I hate the term "grip". Grip infers strength. I prefer the term "cradle".

You did not demonstrate the "pick/roll" method of removing the cue stick from the table during the draw video. Bob did a little "snap back" method that could get a new player into trouble.

Like I said, over all....great job.
randyg

Bambu
02-15-2011, 07:37 PM
How do you think he was cheating you?

Well the way that game worked, the guy had to roll your cue ball back to you. No pool table, just a long and shallow wooden box. After a shot, both balls would end up against the back end of the wood. I never paid attention to which ball he rolled back to me. I didnt know it mattered. Both of em were beat up cue balls, and back then I was not up on considering cue ball weight. So all the guy had to was give me the light cue ball when he wanted my run to end.

dr_dave
02-16-2011, 11:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice job, Dave (and Bob too)
I particularly liked the draw shot videos.</div></div>Thanks Steve.

That collection certainly required the most planning and work.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
02-16-2011, 12:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which video did you like the best, and why?

I'd also be curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on the grip/bridge/draw technique videos. Did you agree with all of the information and advice? Do you think we missed anything important?</div></div>

Well, since you asked:

I hate the term "grip". Grip infers strength. I prefer the term "cradle".</div></div>I also dislike the term "grip," but it is so standard in so many sports (golf, tennis, bowling, pool, etc.) and in so many publications and videos. Excellent point, though. BTW, in the videos, we do stress and demonstrate the importance of a light-cradle grip, and show what happens when you don't maintain a light-cradle grip during the stroke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You did not demonstrate the "pick/roll" method of removing the cue stick from the table during the draw video. Bob did a little "snap back" method that could get a new player into trouble.</div></div>Good point. Bob seems to prefer the "pull back after the shot" approach, but he did try to demonstrate the "pick/roll - tilt the bridge hand out of the way" approach also. We probably should have done a better job explaining and demonstrating this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCA Master Instr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like I said, over all....great job.</div></div>Thanks again.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
02-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Next time, you will know the methods that will work with a light CB, so you can put that Carny in his place.

Regards,
Dave
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you think he was cheating you?

Well the way that game worked, the guy had to roll your cue ball back to you. No pool table, just a long and shallow wooden box. After a shot, both balls would end up against the back end of the wood. I never paid attention to which ball he rolled back to me. I didnt know it mattered. Both of em were beat up cue balls, and back then I was not up on considering cue ball weight. So all the guy had to was give me the light cue ball when he wanted my run to end. </div></div>

dr_dave
02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We aim to squerve. Dave</div></div>Dr Dave -- Off topik, but re patrick's squerv.
I had my billiards cue modyfyd -- it woz a 3/4 jointed 17oz -- 10mm tip, ash -- zero ferrule.
I added a 4.5oz wt brass joint near the tip -- wt iz now 21.5oz.
Tip piece iz 14-1/4" long -- ie 14-1/4" of ash befor u reech the brass -- brass joint iz 1-5/8" long.

The "new" 3-piece cue haz less squerv than the "old" 2-piece cue.
The 3P allso haz less squerv than my other cues (some are 9mm).

I know that u & bob hav pointed out that adding wt say 9" kleer of the tip duznt inkreec squerv.
But my "experiment" indicates that wt kan dekreec swerv.

Here when i say dekreec i meen that for a dead-straight pot, if u wanted to uze left english (uzing your own cue), & if u hadta aim dead-center on the OB to get the pot, then if u added a joint (like mine), u would havta aim a bit right of center on OB.
In otherwords, your new 3P cue would praps squirt less, or swerv more, or both.
If this stuff iz likely to go anywhere then it shood hav its own thread.</div></div>Squerve (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/swerve.html#squerve) is the combined effect of squirt and swerve. For a given amount of tip offset, squirt should depend only on the endmass (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/squirt.html#endmass) of the shaft. However, swerve depends on shot speed, cue elevation, and conditions. With the heavier cue, if you use the same stroke speed, you will get more CB speed and less swerve. That probably explains what you are seeing.

Regards,
Dave

cushioncrawler
02-16-2011, 04:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Squerve is the combined effect of squirt and swerve. For a given amount of tip offset, squirt should depend only on the endmass of the shaft. However, swerve depends on shot speed, cue elevation, and conditions. With the heavier cue, if you use the same stroke speed, you will get more CB speed and less swerve. That probably explains what you are seeing. Regards,Dave</div></div>Dr Dave -- My posting woz ambiguous. Partly koz the terms "more squerv" and "less squerv" are ambiguous.

In my case my 21.5oz 3P cue gave more swerv (or something).
When uzing left english i would havta initially aim further right, ie kompared to where i aimed when it woz a 17oz 2P cue.

The math etc for this would seem elusiv -- bearing in mind that the first 14" of both the 2P and the 3P are the same 14".
But i think i know why it iz so.
The 3P cue haz less power than when it woz a 2P cue.
This explains that -- but it now raizes the question of why haz the 3P less power. A more diffikult question.
mac.

dr_dave
02-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Obviously, such experiments need to be carefully controlled to yield meaningful results. There are many possible variables: tip shape and properties, cue weight, cue efficiency, cue speed, CB speed, cue elevation, exact tip offset, etc.

You make a good point that if the heavier cue (with the extra joint) is less efficient, the CB might have less speed, and therefore more swerve.

Regards,
Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Squerve is the combined effect of squirt and swerve. For a given amount of tip offset, squirt should depend only on the endmass of the shaft. However, swerve depends on shot speed, cue elevation, and conditions. With the heavier cue, if you use the same stroke speed, you will get more CB speed and less swerve. That probably explains what you are seeing. Regards,Dave</div></div>Dr Dave -- My posting woz ambiguous. Partly koz the terms "more squerv" and "less squerv" are ambiguous.

In my case my 21.5oz 3P cue gave more swerv (or something).
When uzing left english i would havta initially aim further right, ie kompared to where i aimed when it woz a 17oz 2P cue.

The math etc for this would seem elusiv -- bearing in mind that the first 14" of both the 2P and the 3P are the same 14".
But i think i know why it iz so.
The 3P cue haz less power than when it woz a 2P cue.
This explains that -- but it now raizes the question of why haz the 3P less power. A more diffikult question.
mac. </div></div>

cushioncrawler
02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Yes, thats how i explained it to a teammate. I sayd that the 2P and 3P had the same squirt, but, koz the 3P had less power, the 3P swerv seemed more, koz it had more time to akt.

But the "less power" bizness iz interesting.
I/we know that 21.5oz iz on the wrong side of the optimum wt of cue re the power kurv (for mac).

But there iz more to it than that. Having that 4.5oz over 14" back from the tip puts it beyond the node (node iz at say 9").
That poor little joint bucks every which way with every powerfull shot. Lots of energy going west.
The cue sounds funny too -- sounds sick.
mac.