PDA

View Full Version : Deconstructing the jump shot?

KalboKev
02-16-2011, 05:49 AM
I don't own a pool table, and I'm certainly not inclined to "practice" jump shot's on a table that belongs to someone else. That's the definition of "don't give a shit" about the tackle. I've never even tried. I'd rather kick. There are a number of top level Pro's that don't like it as well.

BCA Master Instr
02-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Tough to win a gun fight with a knife!
randyg

Bambu
02-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Not sure what your point is, but I havent seen a pro without a jump cue for a long time. True its bad for the cloth, but how else are you going to keep up with the rest of the players? I dont care how good you kick, at some point you will wish you knew how to jump. I'd take a little square of scrap cloth, and use that to practice.

JJFSTAR
02-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I wish more people felt as you do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
02-17-2011, 01:16 AM
We used to practice jump shots and masse shots on tables that were due for recovering. We'd check with the pool room owner and if the cloth was due to be recovered within the week, the owner would have no problem in letting us beat it up a bit.

However, if I was in match play and jump shots were allowed, I would not hesitate to shoot one on a new cloth, if necessary. It's part of the game.

Deeman3
02-17-2011, 11:26 AM
I know a club in Pennsylvania that required you use an old scrap of cloth to jump. I prefer then rules to be jumping is o.k. But with your normal cue. The jump cues (I have some for self defense) make it too easy for people with marginal stroke and skills to jump. IMO

In then old days it did make a killer safety a more effective tool. As well, it would be nice to have the same rules everywhere, in golf you change the clean and place rule, for instance, at different courses!

pooltchr
02-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Dee,
I don't have a problem with jump cues being used. I have used one for years and have yet to ever damage the cloth on any table with a properly executed jump. I suspect you, Fran and others can probably make a similar claim.

Cloth gets torn when some idiot tries to scoop jump the cue ball. I think the best way to deal with it is a big warning in pool rooms. If you tear the cloth, you pay for it! That might make some people who don't know how to jump to avoid it.

Steve

Fran Crimi
02-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Guys, I think it's more than just the possibility of the tip damaging the cloth. I think it's also the cb being slammed into the cloth which creates a burn mark like some break shots do.

I can see how practicing jump shots over and over again on a table can really make a cloth look ugly --- between the tip marks and the ball burn marks.

Sid_Vicious
02-18-2011, 12:37 PM
I quit worrying about practicing jump on my home table, and frankly I can't say I've made anything destructed or unpleasant to look at yet. Sure, you can focus on the jump areas after time and see the white dots but mine seem to mostly blend to my eye in general. What's a table supposed to be for if it's not practice? As far as the regular length cue jumping, that, to me is where the danger of cloth rip is most. Also, a miscue or aggressive execution on a masse' shot easily damages cloth as well if the 19oz cue finishes on the surface.

On the issue of using a piece of cloth under the OB for jumps,,,it greatly IMO alters the true-ness of what actually happens for jumps.

I can totally respect people's feelings with "perfect" cloth on a table in their billiard room, especially at home, but I work jump shots any time I decide to practice. My table isn't a piece of furniture. It is a pool table. sid

tatcat2000
02-18-2011, 11:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the issue of using a piece of cloth under the OB for jumps,,,it greatly IMO alters the true-ness of what actually happens for jumps. </div></div>

Not so much, really. Check out the analysis at

http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_speed_videos/new/HSVB-14.htm

Buddy

Bambu
02-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Pretty cool. Thats something I was never really sure of.

KalboKev
02-19-2011, 07:03 AM
All I"m trying to say is that a jump shot shouldn't be tried unless you have been schooled in it. I don't own a table, and as such, haven't been "schooled". It's become Avant-garde, C it on TV--must be easy??? I C very raw novice's trying to replicate what they C on tv. Who benefit's from that? Not the table owner I'm thinking?..Pangit talaga!

Fran Crimi
02-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Kalbokev, If a person is going to be inconsiderate about the way in which they practice jump shots,or try them for the first time, then you can bet that they will be inconsiderate about lots of things they do. It's not about jump shots. It's about the kind of people they are.

On the other hand, there are people who are considerate of the equipment that they use and they will ask someone qualified to help them when they are learning to jump balls. Then when they practice the occasional shot, they are careful and considerate.