PDA

View Full Version : Tip Dressing Poll

Sid_Vicious
09-08-2002, 08:37 AM
Ok you just miscued, do you go straight to your accessories pouch for your favorite tip tool? What prompts you to know when you do go and touch up your tip? Everybody has a personality for this, at least the ones who believe in on-going tip mainainence, what's yours? Are you one who will respond to a miscue and go to scratchin', scuffin' and pickin' your tip after a boo-boo??sid

Rich R.
09-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Sid, I try to touch up my tip before I miscue, however, I am not always successful. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif
After a miscue, I just reach in my pocket for my favorite tip tool, the Brad Scuffer, and give my cue tip a quick touch up. When used properly, there is very little wear and tear on the tip with that tool and I very rarely have to do a major reshaping.
Rich R.

09-08-2002, 09:05 AM
I find that 99% of my miscues are caused by me (flawed technique or trying to apply to much english) and not a problem with the tip. After a miscue, I will examine the tip, but that is rarely the problem.

I have also read that many instructors feel miscues are problems with stroke--not tip maintenance or chalk, but as humans our natural inclination is to find an external cause to blame.

When tip maintenance is required, I use a MasterCue SuperTool.

Chris Cass
09-08-2002, 09:15 AM
Hi Sid,

I don't miscue all that often. I will however keep an eye on the tip (as if I could see the thing) to see if it's shining. This is a good indicator the tip isn't holding chalk. If I do miscue, I usually hold it under the light at arms length and see where I messed up. I'll lick my finger and touch the miscued area. Then, I'll re-chalk.

Now, if I miscue when it's a key shot in a game and it costs me? I'll get my tip tapper and beat the living daylights out of it. Just to teach it a good lesson. I won't do this if the tips too low. I'll just take off the duct tape and change the tip out.

Regards,

C.C.~~man these pain pills are pretty good. LOL

Sid_Vicious
09-08-2002, 09:25 AM
"I'll get my tip tapper and beat the living daylights out of it. Just to teach it a good lesson. "

A friend I know(told me after my question about what happened to his case) lost a frustrating money set, and upon leaving the joint slung his cue case across the asphalt parking lot. I looked his scuffed up case and asked opinionated-like whether he thought it did any good, and he as natural as can be replied, "Well it hasn't acted up since then." A buddy and I laughed our asses off, it was merely too spontaneous and authentic...sid

Chris Cass
09-08-2002, 09:37 AM
HAHAHAHA

It's funny Sid. When players take all this abuse out on their equipment. When, it's their fault to begin with. LOL I guess it's all in the mind, and of course the closest thing they can get their hands on. LOL By the way Sid, don't even blame the cue in front of Scott Lee. He goes balistic. hahaha He actually transforms into the hulk. Really!! hahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~have to agree with Cuebald.

Sid_Vicious
09-08-2002, 09:52 AM
You mean I can't spank my cue and chant "Bad stick! Bad stick!" in front of Scott? Boy he'd kill me for the bruised ego I put into the Stealth he sold me ;-) Naaa I don't blame the stick,,,now the table and particular pockets, well if I could find a few other guys to help me I'd toss that SOB down the parking lot at times!!!sid

Troy
09-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Naw, I just throw that house stick away and grab another house stick........:)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ok you just miscued, do you go straight to your accessories pouch for your favorite tip tool? What prompts you to know when you do go and touch up your tip? Everybody has a personality for this, at least the ones who believe in on-going tip mainainence, what's yours? Are you one who will respond to a miscue and go to scratchin', scuffin' and pickin' your tip after a boo-boo??sid <hr></blockquote>

Bob C
09-08-2002, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> You mean I can't spank my cue <hr></blockquote>

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to, you might go blind!

Sid_Vicious
09-08-2002, 10:18 AM
My vision is fine but I do notice more squirt ;-) sid

Tom_In_Cincy
09-08-2002, 10:44 AM
Sid,
I once played with a new cue.. one that I was considering purchasing, and was told not to chalk it up.. just hit a few..

Well, I shot with the cue (un-chalked) for about 15 minutes. The owner was quite amused that I didn't miscue once. I purchased that cue.. its the one I play with today.. a Joss.

I believe that's it's stroke mechanics that cause miscues for the most part, and extreme aims away from the center of the cue ball..

As far as tip maintenance, I use a Williards tip shaper just enough to rough the tip to be able to hold chalk.

Remember.. Never, ever chalk up before a MISCUE

Scott Lee
09-08-2002, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ok you just miscued, do you go straight to your accessories pouch for your favorite tip tool? What prompts you to know when you do go and touch up your tip? Everybody has a personality for this, at least the ones who believe in on-going tip mainainence, what's yours? Are you one who will respond to a miscue and go to scratchin', scuffin' and pickin' your tip after a boo-boo??sid <hr></blockquote>

sid...You KNOW my response here! IF I miscue, I will simply chalk the tip better...no pik, no scuff, no nuthin'!!
Works like a charm...and I rarely miscue either!

Scott

SpiderMan
09-08-2002, 10:53 AM
I'm picky about maintaining the radius of my tip, so I "check" it with the shaper before I go to the pool hall. If it only hits the rim, then I'm not shortening my tip any by bringing it back to contour because the very top is untouched.

I never pick or scuff, at least not with a triangle, but I chalk all the time.

SpiderMan

TonyM
09-08-2002, 11:46 AM
I never scuff, never pick, never shape (after break-in). My tip maintenance tool is Master's chalk!

That's all I've done for years now, and I don't miscue more than before, and my tips last for ever!

Tony
-stop messin' with your tips!

09-08-2002, 05:33 PM
I always scuff my tip before playing and again after about 200 balls. I'm just a schlep banger so I use a Cue Cube. If anyone would care to recommend a better tip tool I'm open to suggestions. And no I never blame the tip for a miscue. It's always my fault.

Wally~~miscued on a follow shot Thursday and it cost me a game /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif and probably the match. Dang I hate playing against qualifiers /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

Rod
09-08-2002, 07:47 PM
I agree cuebald except I knurl my tip. Before playing in a tournament I might do that before hand.

cheesemouse
09-09-2002, 06:32 AM
When I miscue I assume I have left a flat spot and roll the edge with a tip tapper to even out the flat spot. I use a soft tip so I don't know if the miscue leaves that flat spot with a hard tip.

Fred Agnir
09-09-2002, 06:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ok you just miscued, do you go straight to your accessories pouch for your favorite tip tool? <hr></blockquote>
No. Nothing but chalk.

Fred

bluewolf
09-09-2002, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally:</font><hr> I always scuff my tip before playing and again after about 200 balls. I'm just a schlep banger so I use a Cue Cube. If anyone would care to recommend a better tip tool I'm open to suggestions. And no I never blame the tip for a miscue. It's always my fault.

Wally~~miscued on a follow shot Thursday and it cost me a game /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif and probably the match. Dang I hate playing against qualifiers /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif <hr></blockquote>

i would like to know about the good cue tools and where you get them preferably a website and especially that scuffer thing.maybe i will never have to do anything to my tip,havent so far,but it is always good to have something around just in case

bw

09-09-2002, 01:00 PM

Chris Cass
09-09-2002, 02:01 PM
Hi Whitewolf,

Nope, this is the one time I'm serious. I only dab the area where the miscue scuffs the tip. It works great, really.

Regards,

C.C.

Amanda
09-09-2002, 02:26 PM
I find that a majority of my miscues are from how I hit the cue. If you look at your scuff mark after miscuing, see what portion of the cue tip actually struck the ball.
I often find that I was going a little toooooo extreme, all the chalk in the world and all the little tool kits are not going to prevent a miscue when I use less than 30% of my cue tip on the ball.
Other than that yes I do at times have to scuff the tip up a little. Usually I notice this when the chalk is not adhering well to the tip, seeing some shiney areas on the tip.
Another consideration is also what kind of tip are you using? Is it a hard tip? Soft? Medium?
Lot of factors to keep in mind. Just make sure you don't blame the tip before you check yourself, odds are it was "user error" ;-)

Amanda

SPetty
09-09-2002, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Amanda:</font><hr> Another consideration is also what kind of tip are you using? Is it a hard tip? Soft? Medium?
Lot of factors to keep in mind. <hr></blockquote>Hi Amanda,

What difference does the tip hardness have to do with the miscue aspect? Are you saying that it's generally easier to miscue with a harder tip than a softer tip?

Amanda
09-09-2002, 02:54 PM
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Hi Amanda,

What difference does the tip hardness have to do with the miscue aspect? Are you saying that it's generally easier to miscue with a harder tip than a softer tip?
<hr></blockquote>

Yes I find that a softer tip allows me to get more action on the cue with less chance of miscue. I prefer a hard tip on my break cue and a medium on my playing cue. Since I play alot of nine ball a soft tip would not be good since 9 ball is not generally a finesse game and my stroke would tend to wreak a little havoc on the tip. Also on the medium tip, I find the chalk tends to adhere better.
Hope it helps
Amanda

Tom_In_Cincy
09-09-2002, 03:43 PM
http://www.poolcuestore.com/loadframeset.html?tools.htm

Just one of many places to purchase and compare prices for pool related "TOOLS"

Sid_Vicious
09-09-2002, 09:12 PM
We're both predictable to those who know us Scott, leaving the tip alone and working the man's end is the answer, no brag...just fact. I'll tell ya though, I see a certain type of pool player who insistently attacks his/her tip automatically when that power draw goes'a flying off the table. To be honest, I did that in my time once. I suppose that I may have asked a question here that's going to be difficult in getting the "attackers" to post.

It seems like a decade since BTTK changed camps, "you got that TAA 2 year medalion yet Barb?? ;-) sid

bluewolf
09-10-2002, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Amanda:</font><hr> I find that a majority of my miscues are from how I hit the cue. If you look at your scuff mark after miscuing, see what portion of the cue tip actually struck the ball.
I often find that I was going a little toooooo extreme, all the chalk in the world and all the little tool kits are not going to prevent a miscue when I use less than 30% of my cue tip on the ball.
Other than that yes I do at times have to scuff the tip up a little. Usually I notice this when the chalk is not adhering well to the tip, seeing some shiney areas on the tip.
Another consideration is also what kind of tip are you using? Is it a hard tip? Soft? Medium?
Lot of factors to keep in mind. Just make sure you don't blame the tip before you check yourself, odds are it was "user error" ;-)

Amanda
<hr></blockquote>

good points. i can see user error in every miscue.never occurred to me to blame the cue.my cue holds chalk just fine.just need to put it on lol

fyi i use talisman pro soft on both of my sticks.

bw