PDA

View Full Version : China initiates major Thorium reactor project.

Chopstick
02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
<span style="color: #000099">While we just blew a trillion dollars and have nothing to show for it.</span>

China enters race to develop nuclear energy from thorium

Scientists and private firms in China have embarked on a major new push to develop liquid-fluoride thorium reactor technology

India nuclear plans: Thorium pellets at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in Mumbai Thorium pellets. Photograph: Pallava Bagla/Corbis

Imagine how the nuclear energy debate might differ if the fuel was abundant and distributed across the world; if there was no real possibility of creating weapons-grade material as part of the process; if the waste remained toxic for hundreds rather than thousands of years; and if the power stations were small and presented no risk of massive explosions.

What you're imagining could fairly soon be reality judging from a little-noticed development in China last month.

Two years ago, as part of the Manchester Report, a panel of experts assembled by the Guardian selected nuclear power based on thorium rather the uranium as one of the 10 most promising solutions to climate change.

Thorium – which is found in large quantities across much of the world – could be used to create nuclear energy in various ways. But the approach that impressed the Manchester Report panel so much was a currently obscure technology called the liquid-fluoride thorium reactor (LFTR).

I wrote at the time:

"This technology was developed by the US military in the 1950s and 1960s and was shown to have many benefits. For example, reactors of this type can be smaller than conventional uranium reactors, partly thanks to their low-pressure operation. Despite its early promise, research into liquid-fluoride thorium reactors was abandoned – the most likely reason being that the technology offered no potential for producing nuclear weapons."

There's a big difference between a demonstrably good idea and a multimillion-dollar research and development programme, however, so it's exciting to hear about a major new push to actually develop LFTR technology in China. Thorium-energy expert Kirk Sorensen recently blogged about the announcement of the new scheme at the Chinese National Academy of Sciences in late January. Technology journalist Andrew Orlowski followed up with a story claiming that a private company in China is aiming to build a prototype within five years that can produce electricity at for as little as 6.8p per kilowatt hour (much cheaper than the retail price of power in the UK today).

Despite not making a ripple in the wider press, there's a chance this development could be very significant. If the advocates of LFTRs are proved correct – and their arguments are certainly very compelling – then the Chinese could be taking one of the first substantial steps in a new type of nuclear race. And the stakes are high: as Sorensen reports, the project "aims not only to develop the technology but to secure intellectual property rights to its implementation". It will be very interesting to see what happens next.

LWW
02-16-2011, 05:20 PM
The far left's response to such things:

'The prospect of cheap fusion energy is the worst thing that could happen to the planet.”
- Jeremy Rifkin, Greenhouse Crisis Foundation

“Giving society cheap, abundant energy would be the equivalent of giving an idiot child a machine gun.”
- Prof Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University

“Complex technology of any sort is an assault on human dignity. It would be little short of disastrous for us to
discover a source of clean, cheap, abundant energy, because of what we might do with it.”
- Amory Lovins, Rocky Mountain Institute

“Global Sustainability requires the deliberate quest of poverty, reduced resource consumption and set levels of mortality control.”
- Professor Maurice King

“We must make this an insecure and inhospitable place for capitalists and their projects. We must reclaim the roads and plowed land, halt dam construction, tear down existing dams, free shackled rivers and return to wilderness millions of acres of presently settled land.”
- David Foreman, co-founder of Earth First!

“It doesn’t matter what is true, it only matters what people believe is true.”
- Paul Watson, co-founder of Greenpeace

"We’ve got to ride this global warming issue. Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing in terms of economic and environmental policy.“
- Timothy Wirth, President of the UN Foundation

"No matter if the science of global warming is all phony, climate change provides the greatest opportunity to bring about justice and equality in the world.“
-Christine Stewart, fmr Canadian Minister of the Environment

“We need to get some broad based support, to capture the public’s imagination… So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements and make little mention of any doubts… Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest.”
- Stephen Schneider, Stanford Professor of Climatology, lead author of many IPCC reports

LWW

pooltchr
02-16-2011, 06:02 PM
I just gotta ask....

Where in the world did you come up with such a collection of moronic statements?

Are there really that many idiots in the world?

Steve

cushioncrawler
02-16-2011, 07:06 PM
If LFTR goze ahead ok, i will giv it serious konsideration for my 2-man paddlewheeler pontoon boat.
I can see me now, down on our lake, shooting past some redneck with hiz piddling little 250hp Johnson.
mac.

JohnnyD
02-16-2011, 07:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If LFTR goze ahead ok, i will giv it serious konsideration for my 2-man paddlewheeler pontoon boat.
I can see me now, down on our lake, shooting past some redneck with hiz piddling little 250hp Johnson.
mac. </div></div>Your paddlewheeler pontoon is the best invention since the wheel.You will be very wealthy.Remember to add a Loran fish finder.It can map the bottom for future treasure hunts.You keep this up you will be in Popular Mechanics.Mac is a genious.

Sev
02-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Meanwhile the sock puppet is still bloviating about wind and high speed rail.

JohnnyD
02-16-2011, 10:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Meanwhile the sock puppet is still bloviating about wind and high speed rail. </div></div> Excellent post.

Qtec
02-17-2011, 12:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'The prospect of cheap fusion energy is the worst thing that could happen to the planet.”
- Jeremy Rifkin, Greenhouse Crisis Foundation </div></div>

Any context to that quote?

I found this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It's (the prospect of cheap fusion energy) the worst thing that could happen to the planet." Jeremy Rifkinn </div></div>

The in brackets part seems to suggest he never uttered these words?

Any explination?

Q...........Anyone?

LWW
02-17-2011, 04:40 AM
I keep a file on my desktop whenever I come across such stupidity.

You may google them if you like.

They are legit.

And, what's scary, those aren't the worst ... just the most concise. Some are far worse but much longer winded.

LWW

LWW
02-17-2011, 04:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'The prospect of cheap fusion energy is the worst thing that could happen to the planet.”
- Jeremy Rifkin, Greenhouse Crisis Foundation </div></div>

Any context to that quote?

Q...........Anyone?</div></div>

Can you come up with any other context it may be taken in?

LWW

LWW
02-17-2011, 04:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It's (the prospect of cheap fusion energy) the worst thing that could happen to the planet." Jeremy Rifkinn </div></div>

The in brackets part seems to suggest he never uttered these words?

Any explination?

Q...........Anyone?

</div></div>

Yes, the topic being discussed was cheap fusion energy.

Next deflection?

LWW

Qtec
02-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Its your quote.

If you can't confirm it, just take it back. Just confess you repeated something you heard on the RW blogosphere,

ie<span style='font-size: 17pt'> you LAPPED it up from the SPOON.</span>

LOL

Q

LWW
02-17-2011, 05:08 AM
Google my friend ... or, are you afraid?

LWW

Qtec
02-17-2011, 06:10 AM
<span style='font-size: 20pt'>I don't have to prove everything <u>you</u> say, <u>you do.</u></span>

Q..

Qtec
02-17-2011, 06:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Google my friend ... or, are you afraid?

LWW</div></div>

BTW, I did say I had searched and could only find the quote I POSTED.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any context to that quote?

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>I found this. </span></div></div>

Is there something wrong with your reading comprehension?

What happened was you picked a piece from the RW bolgosphere and posted it without knowing if the quotes were true or not. I asked you for more info, you don't have it. End of story.

Q

LWW
02-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Present:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 20pt'>I don't have to prove everything <u>you</u> say, <u>you do.</u></span>

Q.. </div></div>

Past:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have to prove anything.

Q </div></div>

LWW

Qtec
02-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Got the guts to provide a link so that statement can be seen in context?

Didn't think so.

Q

LWW
02-17-2011, 07:05 AM
The quote speaks for itself ... whether you like it or not.

LWW

Sev
02-17-2011, 08:06 AM
If China makes an operating Thorium reactor before we do it will not be good.
We could miss the market.

LWW
02-17-2011, 08:26 AM
The US far left will condemn the US if it tries and fawn on the Maoists if they succeed.

LWW

cushioncrawler
02-17-2011, 04:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If LFTR goze ahead ok, i will giv it serious konsideration for my 2-man paddlewheeler pontoon boat.
I can see me now, down on our lake, shooting past some redneck with hiz piddling little 250hp Johnson. mac.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your paddlewheeler pontoon is the best invention since the wheel. You will be very wealthy. Remember to add a Loran fish finder. It can map the bottom for future treasure hunts. You keep this up you will be in Popular Mechanics. Mac is a genious. </div></div>Dunno bout genius -- brilliant, yes. In fakt the first "wheels" were uzed for paddlewheels for a stone-age canoe ferry, & then someone got the idea of adapting them to uze on land for horse-drawn taxicabriolets.
But years ago i allready made a twin hull rowboat by uzing 2 big old plastik sailboard boards -- & i uzed it to catch fish in the sea.
Its fun googling pedal & paddlewheel etc patents stuff and popular mechanics stuff -- there are/were some krazy ideas out there. Asylums must be full of geniuses.

If i ever uze a LFTR or a battery powered prop motor i would be able to uze a satnav fishfinder for sure.

My little paddlewheeler will (if i go ahead) hav 2 paddlewheel innovations that i havnt seen. One involves a new design of blade -- the other involves a new way of uzing the wheels for steerage.

Never know -- might be able to buyem (mac's paddlewheeler) on ebay one day -- made in china naturally.
mac.

JohnnyD
02-17-2011, 05:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If LFTR goze ahead ok, i will giv it serious konsideration for my 2-man paddlewheeler pontoon boat.
I can see me now, down on our lake, shooting past some redneck with hiz piddling little 250hp Johnson. mac.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your paddlewheeler pontoon is the best invention since the wheel. You will be very wealthy. Remember to add a Loran fish finder. It can map the bottom for future treasure hunts. You keep this up you will be in Popular Mechanics. Mac is a genious. </div></div>Dunno bout genius -- brilliant, yes. In fakt the first "wheels" were uzed for paddlewheels for a stone-age canoe ferry, & then someone got the idea of adapting them to uze on land for horse-drawn taxicabriolets.
But years ago i allready made a twin hull rowboat by uzing 2 big old plastik sailboard boards -- & i uzed it to catch fish in the sea.
Its fun googling pedal & paddlewheel etc patents stuff and popular mechanics stuff -- there are/were some krazy ideas out there. Asylums must be full of geniuses.

If i ever uze a LFTR or a battery powered prop motor i would be able to uze a satnav fishfinder for sure.

My little paddlewheeler will (if i go ahead) hav 2 paddlewheel innovations that i havnt seen. One involves a new design of blade -- the other involves a new way of uzing the wheels for steerage.

Never know -- might be able to buyem (mac's paddlewheeler) on ebay one day -- made in china naturally.
mac. </div></div> Excellent post