PDA

View Full Version : My food price prediction update...

sack316
02-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Updating this real quick, still a few weeks to go before posting my final personal shopping results. To keep from having to read the whole thread ( HERE (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=31314&Number=324340#Post324340) ) , the general forecast I made was that the average person's shopping food costs would rise between 2-4% from the beginning of November to the beginning of March.

For January ALONE:

Non-alcoholic beverages price increased 1.5%
Fruits and Veggies increased 1.3%
Fresh Vegetables increased 2.1%
Meats, poultry, fish, and eggs increased 0.9%
Cereals and bakery products increased 0.8%

Again, that was just January's increase... and those numbers are seasonally adjusted.

In 2 weeks I'll be posting my actual purchases and comparing a same-list shopping venture from November 4th with what it is the first week of March. To prevent store markups from muddying up the figures I am using a food outlet that implements a "cost plus 10%" pricing system.

Sack

Sev
02-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Food storage is sounding better and better.
I plan on doing a lot of canning this year and buying what I dont grow from local farmers.

pooltchr
02-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Prices of everything are going up. When the government keeps spending money they don't have, and printing dollars to hide their sins, the only result any reasonable person can expect is inflation (higher prices).

We might all be making a million dollars a year some day, but if a loaf of bread costs $30, will we really be any better off?

Steve

cushioncrawler
02-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Steve -- One kood allso ask, if the usofa reduces its deficits, will we really be any better off.
Will we be better off in the short-term -- everyone agrees, afrayedknot.
Will we be better off in the long-term -- the answer iz, afrayedknot (but krappynomix sez yes).

Inflation shood be meazured by wage inkreeces, not prices.
Prices kan vary for lots of reazons, inklooding genuine (non-wage) reazons.
If i were King i would fix wages -- not eezy to do.
In fakt, when/if prices came down -- i would hav wages lowered (not important).
mac.

LWW
02-18-2011, 04:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mind of an Obamatron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The regime says we have no inflation, so no amount of evidence will ever prove otherwise. In fact, dear leader ran for office promising $5.00 a gallon gasoline and it's Bush's fault we don't have it yet.</div></div>

LWW

Chopstick
02-18-2011, 04:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Inflation shood be meazured by wage inkreeces, not prices.
</div></div>

Inflation should not exist at all. It is the industrial age. Economies of scale, advances in technology, and improved productivity dictate that prices of everything should be decreasing not increasing. Inflation is an artificial creation of the world banking system of which the Federal Reserve is only a part.

There is a website out there that did a study on inflation. They did a comparison of the price of things in gold and the prices in dollars. The items priced in gold remain at the exact same price no matter what time period you price them in. When the Federal Reserve was created one dollar was worth one dollar in gold. Now one dollar is worth four cents compared to what it was. The other 96 cents on every dollar went into the Federal Reserve's pocket.

LWW
02-18-2011, 05:10 AM
Excellent post.

Inflation is really somewhat imaginary, and it is really deflation of the currency.

If prices are measured against the post gold standard US dollar ... or any of the Eurabian currencies ... then yes you have inflation. If you measure the same prices against gold you have general deflation.

LWW

cushioncrawler
02-18-2011, 06:31 AM
For sure inflation shood not exist at all.
What shood exist iz deflation -- koz of inkreeced efficiency. Or, if i were King, if inflation woz based on wages not prices, u wouldnt ever hav inflation or deflation i guess, if wages were near'nuff fixed.
mac.

Sev
02-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Commodities are going through the roof.

Food crops are still being turned into fuel.

Keep an eye on North Africa and West Asia.

If anything happens at the Suez Canal all bets are off on energy prices.

The Iranians are up to some sort of stupidity and the Israelis are getting twitchy.

LWW
02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
What can be expected when the superpower of the world has a gubmint which decides that the answer to energy dependence and pollution is a national vehicle fleet powered by coal and corn?

LWW

JohnnyD
02-18-2011, 05:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For sure inflation shood not exist at all.
What shood exist iz deflation -- koz of inkreeced efficiency. Or, if i were King, if inflation woz based on wages not prices, u wouldnt ever hav inflation or deflation i guess, if wages were near'nuff fixed.
mac. </div></div>Excellent post.