PDA

View Full Version : Pool Player's Are Liars

KalboKev
02-20-2011, 05:59 AM
As Danny DiLiberto might say. You can't trust any words that cross our collective gums. Haven't played in years??? Bull Shit!

cushioncrawler
02-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Liars, but not cheats.
mac.

Fran Crimi
02-20-2011, 07:36 AM
You seem to be having issues with certain types of personalities. Those people are in all walks of life, including business as well as sports. I know a lot of pool players who aren't liars. Come to NYC and I'll introduce you to a bunch of liars who work on Wall Street.

Rich R.
02-20-2011, 08:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You seem to be having issues with certain types of personalities. Those people are in all walks of life, including business as well as sports. I know a lot of pool players who aren't liars. Come to NYC and I'll introduce you to a bunch of liars who work on Wall Street. </div></div>
I'll give you 5 to 1 odds that there are more liars at the NY Stock exchange than there are at Amsterdam Billiards.

Bambu
02-20-2011, 09:21 AM
The Amsterdam crowd isnt fair, way too upscale. To be fair about it, I have seen some great hustlers. Some of these guys, had they gone to school....could have fit in perfectly on Wall Street.

pooltchr
02-20-2011, 09:25 AM
There are probably more liars drowning worms out on the lake too. Not to mention the number of them arguing court cases, or selling used cars.

Society has it's share of liars. Pool players are part of society. So it stands to reason. It would be difficult to find any gathering of people anywhere that didn't have it's share.

Steve

cushioncrawler
02-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Me, myself, i never lie, and i hav only ever cheated at billiards once.
mac.

Deeman3
02-20-2011, 11:14 PM
"Everybody lies!" Gregory House

Just not as much as politicians and preachers! DeeMan

JJFSTAR
02-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Presuming that a person ____’s because they are a ____ is bigotry, and that; is wrong. It does not matter what this is based on, things that are out of your control such as skin color or origin or things that are your choice such as hobby or religion.

Trusting everyone in everything in every situation is naïve. Finding the balance between the two takes quite a bit of experience in life. My suggestion to all posters, the OP and those who have replied would be to read what they have written and ask themselves to answer FOR THEMSELVES this basic philosophical question. “Is what I wrote savvy or bigoted?”

I am judging no one. I am not a judge /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It is just my suggestion, nothing more.

Qtec
02-21-2011, 08:54 AM
So you thought you had a pidgin and it turned out to be a shark!

Q..LOL

SpiderMan
02-22-2011, 10:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KalboKev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Pool Player's Are Liars </div></div>

Yes, and their punctuation is terrible!

SpiderMan

02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Just pool players?

Have you ever gone on a "date"??

Eric &gt;has been on the sending and receiving end

MikeM
02-22-2011, 03:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just pool players?

Have you ever gone on a "date"??

Eric &gt;<span style="color: #FF0000">has been on the sending and receiving end </span></div></div>

Sounds like a good date!

Rich R.
02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Presuming that a person ____’s because they are a ____ is bigotry, and that; is wrong. It does not matter what this is based on, things that are out of your control such as skin color or origin or things that are your choice such as hobby or religion.

Trusting everyone in everything in every situation is naïve. Finding the balance between the two takes quite a bit of experience in life. My suggestion to all posters, the OP and those who have replied would be to read what they have written and ask themselves to answer FOR THEMSELVES this basic philosophical question. “Is what I wrote savvy or bigoted?”

I am judging no one. I am not a judge /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif It is just my suggestion, nothing more.
</div></div>
Frankly, I thought I was pretty accurate. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
02-23-2011, 09:55 AM
That's hysterical! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

bradb
02-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Here's some people who are liars and they are damn proud of it! In fact they have a contest to judge the biggest liars of all.

So was Minnesota Fats a liar, or a colorful purveyor of folk lore and tall tales? I say the latter, nothing wrong with that. -Brad

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5435852

Deeman3
02-23-2011, 10:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Presuming that a person ____’s because they are a ____ is bigotry, and that; is wrong. It does not matter what this is based on, things that are out of your control such as skin color or origin or things that are your choice such as hobby or religion.

</div></div>

Don't believe it was me who made this prejudicial but have you ever had dealings with a fisherman, used car dealer or local weatherman? I rest my case! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

JJFSTAR
02-24-2011, 02:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Frankly, I thought I was pretty accurate. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Bigots are accurate most of the time, it is the times when they are inaccurate that prove them to be morons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't believe it was me who made this prejudicial but have you ever had dealings with a fisherman, used car dealer or local weatherman? I rest my case! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

The OP is IMHO prejudicial. After my brother got out of the Marine Corps he was a car salesman for a short period of time. He quickly got out of the business because most customers presumed that he was trying to swindle them just because he was trying to sell them a car.

Our prejudices NO MATTER WHAT THEY ARE will invariably backfire on us eventually. If you don’t think so, you should read more classical literature and/or pay more attention in life.

Fran Crimi
02-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Is is prejudicial to assume that a car salesman is out to get the maximum out of you that they can? No, it's not, because there are formulas that car dealerships require them to follow. Some consumers consider those types of formulas swindeling. I can't say that I blame them.

You know as well as anybody that systems that are based on commission sales automatically make the consumer feel that the seller is trying to get the most they can out of them and they're absolutely right to think that way.

If you want to change the assumptions people make about salespeople, then you're going to have to change the system that caused people to think that way. You'd have to put the sales forces on salary with no bonuses or commissions based on sales performance. No company will go for that, so the consumer has no choice but to be on the defensive.

Rich R.
02-25-2011, 08:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Frankly, I thought I was pretty accurate. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Bigots are accurate most of the time, it is the times when they are inaccurate that prove them to be morons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't believe it was me who made this prejudicial but have you ever had dealings with a fisherman, used car dealer or local weatherman? I rest my case! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

The OP is IMHO prejudicial. After my brother got out of the Marine Corps he was a car salesman for a short period of time. He quickly got out of the business because most customers presumed that he was trying to swindle them just because he was trying to sell them a car.

Our prejudices NO MATTER WHAT THEY ARE will invariably backfire on us eventually. If you don’t think so, you should read more classical literature and/or pay more attention in life.
</div></div>
I have been the victim of different forms of bigotry more times than you will ever know. However, I don't think a few comments on a POOL forum require an extensive debate of bigotry in our society. You may want to try the non-pool related portion of this forum. I'm sure you will get some takers.

Honestly, I think you are wound a little too tight and you have to lighten up a little bit and see the humor in these comments.

"Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent."

JJFSTAR
02-25-2011, 09:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is is prejudicial to assume that a car salesman is out to get the maximum out of you that they can? No, …
</div></div>

I agree, the last time I bought a car I negotiated the price down about $1700 from what he wanted to sell it to me for. It just makes sense to be informed, I also have the benefit of a former car salesman as an advisor, but that IMHO is not the issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some consumers consider those types of formulas swindeling.
</div></div>

And herein lays the problem; there is a very big difference between treating someone as though they were trying to “rip you off” and “being on the defensive”.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to change the assumptions people make about salespeople, then you're going to have to change the system that caused people to think that way. </div></div>

What I would like to change is much broader. I would like people to stop making assumptions about each other. I can get through to most people by asking them a simple question “Have negative assumptions ever been made about you?” if not you are rare and lucky, if so you probably didn’t like it very much, so why turn around and do it to someone else?

We have come a long way in the past couple of centuries and most notably in the past few decades by changing the attitude we have toward each other no matter what it is that we have chosen as our work, what region we come from, our social status, even our personal preferences and the like, and we still have a long way to go.

cushioncrawler
02-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Opticians, what about opticians???
mac.

cushioncrawler
02-25-2011, 02:36 PM
JJ -- What about prostitutes, komplete rip-off.
mac.

JJFSTAR
02-25-2011, 03:47 PM
I once had a guy say to me “hookers are some of the best money I ever spent!” /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

JoeW
02-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Wasn't it Malcom Forbes who said, "There are liars, damned liars, and statisticians."

KalboKev
02-26-2011, 07:54 AM
All I can say is that "normally" I can watch someone take a couple practice "swings" see the stoke and tell if someone can shoot. However being a good shoot maker doesn't necessarily mean good player, have to be smart. Like Ralf Souquet. I live in the PI, play some really good Pinoy's nearly daily, and my favorite player is the "Kaiser". More disiplined than I am. I play like Rodney Morrison. Ralf is always measured and disciplined, almost to the point of frustration. I'd want him on my team.

wolfdancer
03-05-2011, 10:11 PM
as they saying goes....the "crookedest street in the world" used to be Lombard St.in SF, but now it's Wall street.
There is actually a more winding St. in SF, then Lombard St.
Vermont St is lesser known and off the "beaten path"
"In an episode of Fact or Fiction on the Travel Channel, Jayms Ramirez measured the sinuosity of both Lombard and Vermont streets, and proved that Vermont is indeed more crooked (with a sinuosity of 1.56 versus 1.2 for Lombard Street)."

Deeman3
03-06-2011, 09:45 AM
A hearty welcome back, my friend!