PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 A Great Game

03-01-2002, 12:11 AM
I am only 24 and live in a town of about 10,000 people. I am about the only person in town that knows how to play 14.1. There are a few that know how to play but no one likes to play it.

I just wanted to hear everybodies opinions on 14.1 do you all still play it, is it becoming extinct?

And only one question, how do you all think is the best way to improve at a game like 14.1 when there is no one to play it with or to help me. Thanks for any replies.

P.S. The one great thing about straight pool is that you have a goal. To beat your high run. So you can definitly tell that you are improving!!

03-01-2002, 07:44 AM
love the game (though almost nobody plays it here), hate the sitting down involved. Plus: I suck in 14.1.

I see many practising playing the break shot and continuing from there. Me, I just play against myself. The problem is that after a while I easily lose focus playing against myself. Plus laying safeties gets ignored.

For learning I'd say get some
Accu-stats(.com) tapes like:
1989 Sigel-Rempe 150 hi run
1992 Sigel - Zuglan 150 hr
1992 Zuglan - Martin(?) 148 hr
1993 Invitational Fleming - Mathews (2 hi runs, player review)
etc.

Rempe and Sigel instructional tapes are supposed to be good too. There's a book "Play your best straight pool"... etc.

Rich R.
03-01-2002, 08:19 AM
IMHO, 14.1 is the best pool game, requiring the most skill. Unfortunately, it is currently out of vogue and has been over shadowed by the faster, better for TV, game of 9 ball. Althought I have lost some of the skill I once had for the game, I still play 14.1 by myself to practice, but I don't know anyone else that still plays it. One of the pool halls, I play at regularly, does not even have counters appropriate for 14.1. Rich R.~~~misses a good game of straight pool.

Jay M
03-01-2002, 08:35 AM
Personally, I play 14.1 every chance I get now. I was playing Rusty Miller about once or twice a week for a while. When I was down playing and he wasn't there, I started working on my patterns by setting up a break shot and shooting the run until I missed or was forced into a safety. It was absolutely amazing what happened. People that I had been playing against in 9 ball for years would come over and ask me if I wanted to play some straight. People started coming out of the woodwork that loved the game and just thought noone played it any longer. Now, at any given time at CM's Place, you can find one or two straight pool matches in progress.

Jay M

03-01-2002, 09:53 AM
Some other great Accu-stats staright pool matches:

1995 Maine open--Efren v. Rempe
2000 Open --Rempe v. Ginky (Player Review)
--Sigel v Varner one of my favorites
1993 Cleveland Open Zuglan v. Grady

Just a few of my favorites

Tom_In_Cincy
03-01-2002, 08:30 PM
I must be living a very lucky life.
Here in Cincinnati, Ohio, we have a Straight Pool league that is currently in its 13th Session. Started in 1997 and is still very strong. Currently there are 38 registered players. We have had up to 50 players playing in one session.
Cincinnati Straight Pool League (CSPL) played in one of the best pool halls in Cincinnati "SnookerS"
You can get a 14.1 match almost anytime you want.

Chris Cass
03-02-2002, 02:04 AM
Yes Tom, you are.
C.C.~~needs 50 on 100.

03-02-2002, 02:23 PM
It's my favorite game. I also play in the CSPL. If you can convince 1 or 2 of your friends that playing 14.1 will help their 8-ball game a lot (it will) maybe you can talk them into playing some. After a couple matches they'll be hooked.

There's a book called "The Straight Pool Bible" which is really good. "How to run a hundred balls" with Jim Rempe available from accu-stats.com is really good.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-03-2002, 12:08 AM
That's almost exactly how our straight pool league started. Practing 14.1 to warm up for a 9 ball tournamen. Guess there are common threads in this pool world..

cuechick
03-03-2002, 12:22 PM
We are lucky here in NYC too, because we have a great Straight pool league at Corner Billiards. It has attracted some top players (I have a match with Gerda later in the season!) and have played Tony Robles and a slew of A players. I love the game and participating in a league has given me the discipline to play it regularly. They also have a league at Amsterdam and a lot of NY'ers play it regualy. I'd say it is very popular here. One pocket has also had a resurgence here, probally a lot to do with another Corner league...