PDA

View Full Version : Legal Break In 9 Ball, How Many 2 The Rail?

Sid_Vicious
09-08-2002, 11:28 PM
Assuming BCA, how many balls has to hit a rail on a 9-ball break? I had a soft breaker who said that only hitting the one and driving the CB to the rail was legal(and his backer/friend agreed.) What's the skinny here???sid~~~figured I knew and yet was seemingly wrong

Rod
09-08-2002, 11:37 PM
FOUR numbered balls or pocket a ball

nAz
09-08-2002, 11:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Assuming BCA, how many balls has to hit a rail on a 9-ball break? I had a soft breaker who said that only hitting the one and driving the CB to the rail was legal(and his backer/friend agreed.) What's the skinny here???sid~~~figured I knew and yet was seemingly wrong <hr></blockquote>
4 sounds right but i have no clue why you cant get away with what your softbreaker said, unless it has something to do with playing an easy safe if he pockets a ball on the break... oh whay do i know

Chris Cass
09-09-2002, 02:21 AM
Hi Rod,

4 numbered balls plus the cb.

C.C.

PQQLK9
09-09-2002, 04:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Rod,

4 numbered balls plus the cb.

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

surely you jest /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-09-2002, 06:02 AM
The following was copied directly from the BCA 9-ball rules page:

"The breaker must strike the1-ball first and either pocket a ball or drive at least four numbered balls to the rail."

rackmup
09-09-2002, 06:43 AM
"Hmmpph...soft break...should be banned from the game...personally, I like to drive all nine balls to a rail, pocket five, jump whitey 18 inches straight up and bust eardrums from the sound of the impact...soft break...should be called "sissy break" or something..."

Sorry...just thinking outloud.

Regards,

Ken (firm believer that if you aren't splintering a shaft now and then, you just aren't hittin' the stack hard enough.)

Sid_Vicious
09-09-2002, 07:12 AM
Thanks all. I've played nine ball a long time and I KNEW this to be the case but the guy I was playing and one of the regular everyday money players said it was hitting the one ball and driving another ball to the rail. I told them I fugired they had 1-pocket confused with 9-ball but they outnumbered me so I blew it off...sid

Chris Cass
09-09-2002, 08:43 AM
HAHHAHA

Ken,

You've got to be the funniest guy on the planet. Kato is following as a close second. This is not good for my disc.

LOL,

C.C.~~the power break is what put me into this problem. I did however made 4 balls that break. I break like a girl, though.

09-09-2002, 09:43 AM
I was told by Tony Watson last week that some of the pro tourneys have been trying to adopt a new rule for the break, in which I believe at least 2 balls have to pass the side pocket (at some point during the break) in order for it to be a legal break. He referred to this as "The Corey Rule" (LOL). Whether there is any truth to this, and/or whether it might be enforced for the U.S. Open, I have no idea. If anyone else knows anything about this, please speak up - thanks. - Chris in NC

Chris Cass
09-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Hi Nick,

I guess I was wrong. I remember them telling me this at a tourney I played in around my area. After reading the rules with my League Player Handbook 2000-2005. It appears they mention nothing about the cb hitting a rail after the one is struck. I definitely owe Rod an apology and thank you for not making me out to be all that bad, Nick.

Regards,

C.C.~~Man, these scammers at the ph make up rules to fit their needs. Got to get out of this place. Got to be somewhere I can get a fair shake.

Jay M
09-09-2002, 10:39 AM
The rule you are citing was used at the Coliseum Mall 9 ball Open, the first UPA event. The rule was that at least 3 balls had to pass the center pocket OR a ball had to be pocketed. As far as I know, that was a special rule, not anything that will be used elsewhere.

BTW, a small correction, it's not necessary for the cue to hit a rail, but either 4 numbered balls have to hit a rail or a ball has to be pocketed per the BCA rules.

Jay M

9 Ball Girl
09-09-2002, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr>I break like a girl, though.<hr></blockquote>

Which is damn good, right? /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

WaltVA
09-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Chris - Quoting the UPA rules used at the Hampton tournament:

"3 Balls must pass the side pocket for a legal break. They do not have to remain past the side as long as they have crossed once. Every ball pocketed will count as a ball past the side pocket (if 3 balls go in then a legal break or 2 balls pass the side and 1 ball in, etc.) The cueball also counts as a ball.

Any of the above not accomplished will be a foul, ball in hand for the opponent and the player may opt to rerack and break themselves."

Don't know if this was peculiar to this one tournament or is something the UPA is going to use at other events they promote.

Walt in VA

Rod
09-10-2002, 12:05 AM
Hi Chris,
You know that is not necessary we all make mistakes or sometimes get mislead. It did occur to me though, One breaks the balls hard, hard enough to throw out their back. LOL They stop their rock dead center of the table but no balls go in. The opponent yells FOUL, what? what foul? You didn't hit a rail with the cue ball!! What?!!!!! I know me and someone would have words!

~~~ Rod hopes CC's back is doing much better

Ken
09-10-2002, 03:43 AM
That must be the Little Dictator's contribution to the game of pool. Next he will require that you make a big show of lining up the shot and getting down to shoot it at least ten times before actually taking each shot. That's what he did at Turning Stone and I just walked out and went home to watch the leaves turn and the grass grow.

His match with Ginky took an extra hour and totally messed up the tournament schedule. The crowd was disgusted. Some people sat through 3 or 4 more of his matches that day. I don't know how anyone could stand it. I was ready to yell at him to just shoot the ball. He's clearly on a one-man crusade to ruin the game of pool.
KenCT