PDA

View Full Version : Best cue joint?

KalboKev
02-22-2011, 07:26 AM
I just bought a beautiful wood on wood radial pin joint cue in Angeles City from a locally known builder. Cored cue, four points inlayed, sneaky pete. It's entirely Amboyna Burl except for the requisite maple. It looks like "Candy". Sitting on the shelf in the open environment for over a year. Still dead nut's straight. 18.7 oz's natural weight, no weight bolt. $300.00 US.

Anyway the joint, first time I've had a cue like this, seems like a soft hitter?

cushioncrawler
02-23-2011, 04:02 PM
I am thinking that any joint iz ok for a 3/4 jointed cue -- koz the extra wt iz well back and near the natural (flex) node anyhow.

But for a 2-piece cue i would say that a wood'wood joint would giv less loss of power and less squirt.
But, u gotta ask yourself -- do u want more power and less squirt -- well, do u punk.
mac.

cushioncrawler
02-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I wouldnt let a small bend in a cue scare u. Not even a big bend.
Last nite i stuck 3 of my bent old one-piece cues into a couch, with a book hanging over each butt, to help straightenem.
I just then checked the worst, and the bend iz now the other way. Even tho it iz an 1898 (ash) cue, the bend came out eezy (in one nite). But i know that if i leev it, it will soon revert to what it woz -- so its going to need attention (hanging) 24/7.

I hav fallen back in love with this Alcock Champion (1898). It iz one-piece, ash and ebony, 10.7mm, red fibre (bakelite??) ferrule (added later), 15.76oz, pro-taper, thickest butt i hav ever seen (i luv thick butts), zero added wt (i think).
I wish it woz a 2-piece or 3/4 -- a one-piece iz a pain to tote. But adding a joint would be murder. The billiards-gods would be displeased.

One of the other cues iz allso an Alcock (ie near'nuff the same) -- and one iz a maple Peall (even older, praps 1880).
mac.

pooltchr
02-23-2011, 06:44 PM
I switched to the radial pin wood to wood joint about 10 years ago, and really like the feel. I recently started playing with a Fury Evolution and like it even better than the Fury RP I used for years. Both have the same joint, and yes, it is what most would describe as a softer hit. The new Evolution doesn't have a wrap, and I'm finding I like it better than I thought I would. I've never had a wrapless cue before, but it actually seems to let me get an even better feel.

Anyway, you will probably get a lot of different opinions, but for my money, the Radial wood to wood is hard to beat.

Steve