PDA

View Full Version : WPBA Qualifier at Amsterdam East on 09/14

Doctor_D
09-09-2002, 05:23 AM
Good morning:

The Tri-State Tour will be holding a WPBA qualifier, for the WPBA Cuetec Cues Fall Classic to be held at Amsterdam East from October the 2nd through October the 6th, this weekend at Amsterdam East.

A: Who will be competing?

B: Who will be stopping by to visit?

/ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

Dr. D.

Amanda
09-09-2002, 06:24 AM
Its kind of short notice for me, but what is the entry fee? Is it this Saturday and Sunday? And what are the hotel prices like in the vicinity? Oh the joys of a limited budget :-/
Thanks in adavance

Doctor_D
09-09-2002, 06:31 AM
Good morning:

The entry fee will be the same as any Regional Tour event, $50.00 However, due to the fact that this event is NOT being held by a Sanctioned Regional Tour, a $35.00 Tri-State Tour membership will also be required.

Lodging in Manhattan is expensive, you might want to check the on-line sites for lower rates.

However; in Iselin, NJ (Metropark) there is a Hilton (732-494-6200) which is with-in walking distance from the Metropark Train station and the NJ Transit Commuter Trains. I live in Iselin and will be taking the 8:50AM NJ Transit Train into Manhattan on the 14th. Anyone traveling in from out of town, who would wish to stay at the Hilton in Iselin, can travel into Manhattan with me that morning. Since I work in Manhattan, and regularly use the subways and buses, I can make it easier for you to navigate the town.

Dr. D.

Rich R.
09-09-2002, 06:42 AM
I'm sorry Dr. D., this is off the topic, but your post created such a mental image for me that I had to reply.

Considering the fact that most people do not know a cue case when they see one, I can just picture the faces of the train conductor and other travelers, when a group of twenty women get on the train, all carrying cue cases. /ccboard/images/icons/shocked.gif
They would all be on their phones calling the police. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rich R.

Doctor_D
09-09-2002, 06:44 AM
Good morning:

Actually, since I regularly carry my case into Manhattan on the train, most people think that it is a case for a musical instrument.... Go figure !

Dr. D.

09-09-2002, 06:47 AM
I guess the price you have to pay for playing such a "dangerous" sport

Rich R.
09-09-2002, 06:50 AM
When playing well, it's just like music.
Rich R.

09-09-2002, 06:54 AM
I am curious as to the events that took place to transform what was initially a Tristate only top 16 women qualifier into a full blown WPBA event. Comments anyone?

Amanda
09-09-2002, 06:55 AM
I had to laugh at your post about people worrying, shortly after 9/11 last year, I was on my motorcycle, with cue case slung over my back. I stopped to get gas. When I went into pay, there was an old asian man at the counter. He just started saying..."NO GUNS! NO GUNS!" lol! I had to calm him and show him what they were before he had a heart attack. I was more worried I would have the local SWAT team chasing my down I-270 on my way to go play.

Rich R.
09-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Your real life experience is funnier than the mental image I got from Dr. D's post. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
With high crime rates and the increased worry about terrorists, I can see a future when many pool players are asked to open their cases for inspection. Hopefuly not by the SWAT team.
Rich R.

CarolNYC
09-09-2002, 08:25 AM
Hey Rich,
ha ha ha,I hate to say it, but at this point, I do not think people would be using a cell-phone-they'd walk right up to you and say "Whats in there?" ha ha ha-I would!
Have a nice day!
Carol

MikeM
09-09-2002, 09:30 AM
Last October I went to a dive of a bar in the hills of NE Pennsylvania. After we checked the place out, I went back to the car to get my case. As I was walking in a waitress stopped me and asked what was in the case. I showed her and she said, "Thank God, I thought it was a rifle." I wittily replied "No, but it's just as deadly."

MM...doesn't limit his bad humor to this board.

9 Ball Girl
09-09-2002, 10:54 AM
I always carry my case on the subway or anywhere else for that matter. Besides hearing the usual, "Do you play pool", "Are you good", "Oh, watchout! She's a poolshark" comments, when asked what instrument do I play, I simply replay "the pool table!" /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

Wendy~~can't make it due to a wedding and birthday party /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

TomBrooklyn
09-09-2002, 11:34 AM
On July 4th, I went into Manhatten to watch the fireworks. I brought my cue case with me, thinking I might stop off at one of the local pool halls. I wound up walking from midtown to the village and stopping at a few watering holes on the way. Some of them asked to inspect my case or to have me check it at the door, obviously thinking their was a weapon in it. Others just gave me looks and a sort of wide berth. =TB=

Doctor_D
09-09-2002, 11:47 AM
Good afternoon:

During one excursion into Manhattan with my cue case I was asked what was in the case as we sat down to lunch. I informed the server that it was my Broad Sword !!! The look on his face was "priceless" to say the least...

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

09-09-2002, 12:05 PM
I live in Manhattan so it's easy for me to just show up and watch. I might play though.

cuechick
09-11-2002, 06:33 AM
Apparently after being told they could do an Invite only tourny they were then informed they could not. According to WPBA rules it had to be open. Since it had already been scheduled and the spot paid for they went ahead and opened it. They didn't have a choice...oh well, I hope some of the women who show up and join will play in other tri-state events, it's a great experiance and it would be nice to see a few more 'skirts' in the room! /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Doctor_D
09-11-2002, 06:45 AM
Good morning:

For the record, aside from the fact that I will be competing in this weekend's WPBA Qualifier, I have already joined the Tri-State Tour and have already competed in Two (2) of their events.

Dr. D.

DEADSTOKE32
09-11-2002, 05:59 PM
Hay Snooky! You better get that ass up in there .And show the lady's how's it realy done.....