PDA

View Full Version : Incardona vs. Mattews classic one pocket match

bradb
02-25-2011, 02:21 PM
This enjoyable old video was recently uploaded to youtube. I thought I would post it for those who may not know about it. A great match between two legends of the game. -Brad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuzrGUuQ_Hs

JoeW
02-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I enjoyed the match. Thanks for the URL

bradb
02-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Glad you liked it Joe.

I don't know much about these older players but I hear their rivalry was legendary. I was also wondering why Grady, who appeared to be a master of control, would suddenly slash or jerk at a shot. I would be interested if anyone on the forum can bring some insight.

Brad

JoeW
02-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Both players are commentators for many different pool tournaments. They have a semi-friendly rivalry over many years. I think that both have achieved somewhat legendary status with many stories about their heart when gambling for major dollars. Their styles are quite different and each is enjoyable in a different way. When they are together in a booth they tend to grate on each other. Billy is gracious. Grady is witty and each has a different take on the game.

Grady has been known as “The Professor” for years. He held court in Chicago where he taught many players the ins and outs of one pocket. Some of his video tapes are indeed classics in the field and will teach things that are not in anyone’s book.

Grady is known to have a relatively short fuse and he can get quite vitriolic when he gets emotional. I suspect that his close match with one of his “arch rivals” as a TV commentator probably had his teeth on edge and he more or less lost it. Truth be told, Grady is probably (?) the better player but Billy is more likeable.

One of the stories that Billy told is that he played this kid Cesar Morales (AKA Efren Reyes) when he first came o the USA. In the first round Billy lost $10k, the next night he lost $20k but won ten of it back before he pulled up. These two are truly legends of today's American Pool.

bradb
02-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the background info Joe. With Buddy Hall calling the game and all their old crones watching to see who would win the bragging rights, that would explain Grady's reaction. The pressure seemed to be more on him as you noted especially after he blew that big lead.

I agree, I think Grady was the better one pocket player. He seemed to have Billy on the defensive most of the time. But I got a sense that Billy seemed more solid as a player. I see Billy has an autobiography out on his hustling days, I'll have to get it.

All and all a classic matchup right to the last ball.

wolfdancer
03-06-2011, 09:12 PM
thanks Brad....I had a collection, about 4 boxes full of classic matches, and Grady Vs Billy sounds like a good one...although I may have already seen it.
I liked the combo of Grady, Billy, and Buddy Hall doing commentary on the older accu-stats tapes. They were as entertaining as the original MNF announcing team of Gifford, Cosell, Michaels
Billy has a slip of the tongue...."Billy Johnson"....classic

Deeman3
03-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Wow, Not the Billy "white shoes" Johnson most of us remember! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif