PDA

View Full Version : That WI Assembly vote stunt???

Soflasnapper
02-27-2011, 05:42 PM
I've waited several days to see this topic raised by anyone here, and it hasn't been, so here it is.

WTF is wrong with the WI Assembly, taking a 17 second 'vote' for which some 30%+ of the Assembly wasn't given a chance to vote?

Tempers frayed after such a long time in debate, or what?

They would have won even a full accounting of the votes, so they didn't do it just to win (they didn't cut off the vote until a majority in favor had been tallied).

But what kind of process is THAT? Ass clowns, I say. Decorum and procedure are not the beginning and end of correct process, but they play their part. Some have suggested the vote under such circumstances is invalid, although I haven't seen evidence supporting that particular claim. I assume it is a legally binding vote, but why do it this way?

Isn't that a sure way to lose the confidence of the people that proper procedure is followed by the GOP Assembly (and by extension, their leaders and members in the state Senate)?

I cannot comprehend what they did in any way that makes it defensible. Can you?

The only suggestion I've seen is that it was a way to win, but not have all the GOP Assemblymen on record voting that way, so as to help those particular more vulnerable Assembly members avoid the recalls that have been predicted. Perhaps that is so, but if it is, that's a cowardly reason to proceed in such a banana republic fashion.

cushioncrawler
02-27-2011, 06:09 PM
I think in Ozz they do it on the voices -- and if voices aint conclusiv i think they hav a show of hands, or a divizion where u kross to "your" side of the house. I dont know if an exakt listing iz kept.
mac.

Soflasnapper
02-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Mac, a voice vote would explain why they shut if off quickly, but not why they gave a (partial) vote count as they did. (17-something, 17 the majority sufficient to win).

Soflasnapper
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
When is it time to call out those who refuse to answer as cowards and disgusting democracy-process killing advocates?

LWW, explain that rule again to me please, LOL!

Gayle in MD
03-01-2011, 12:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've waited several days to see this topic raised by anyone here, and it hasn't been, so here it is.

WTF is wrong with the WI Assembly, taking a 17 second 'vote' for which some 30%+ of the Assembly wasn't given a chance to vote?

Tempers frayed after such a long time in debate, or what?

They would have won even a full accounting of the votes, so they didn't do it just to win (they didn't cut off the vote until a majority in favor had been tallied).

But what kind of process is THAT? Ass clowns, I say. Decorum and procedure are not the beginning and end of correct process, but they play their part. Some have suggested the vote under such circumstances is invalid, although I haven't seen evidence supporting that particular claim. I assume it is a legally binding vote, but why do it this way?

Isn't that a sure way to lose the confidence of the people that proper procedure is followed by the GOP Assembly (and by extension, their leaders and members in the state Senate)?

I cannot comprehend what they did in any way that makes it defensible. Can you?

The only suggestion I've seen is that it was a way to win, but not have all the GOP Assemblymen on record voting that way, so as to help those particular more vulnerable Assembly members avoid the recalls that have been predicted. Perhaps that is so, but if it is, that's a cowardly reason to proceed in such a banana republic fashion. </div></div>

The former Attorney General of Wisc., said that WI law calls for open voting, and doors must be open, to the public, when the voting occurs.

G.

Qtec
03-01-2011, 01:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 51-to-17 vote just after at 1 a.m. in the Assembly drew boos and shouts of “Shame! Shame!” from Democrats who said that leaders had abruptly cut off debate and prevented more than a quarter of the legislators from casting votes. It came during the second week of sustained demonstrations inside and around the Capitol. Union workers and others from Wisconsin and nearby states continued to protest the proposals backed by the new governor, Scott Walker, a Republican elected in November.

Some Republican leaders in other states have moderated their talk against state employee unions in recent days. But in Wisconsin, Mr. Walker traveled the state on Friday in an effort to put more pressure on the Senate’s 14 Democrats to return from Illinois.

Democrats said the early-morning vote showed that Republicans had little interest in negotiating. They “rushed a vote in seconds, cheating Democratic representatives of the opportunity to vote against this horrible legislation,” said the leader of the Assembly’s Democrats, Peter Barca. “Then they fled the chamber surrounded by armed law enforcement agents,” he said </div></div> video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TRBMEggRzis)

Q..

LWW
03-01-2011, 05:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When is it time to call out those who refuse to answer as cowards and disgusting democracy-process killing advocates?

LWW, explain that rule again to me please, LOL! </div></div>

I have to hear what the "STUNT" was before I can comment.

LWW

Gayle in MD
03-01-2011, 10:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 51-to-17 vote just after at 1 a.m. in the Assembly drew boos and shouts of “Shame! Shame!” from Democrats who said that leaders had abruptly cut off debate and prevented more than a quarter of the legislators from casting votes. It came during the second week of sustained demonstrations inside and around the Capitol. Union workers and others from Wisconsin and nearby states continued to protest the proposals backed by the new governor, Scott Walker, a Republican elected in November.

Some Republican leaders in other states have moderated their talk against state employee unions in recent days. But in Wisconsin, Mr. Walker traveled the state on Friday in an effort to put more pressure on the Senate’s 14 Democrats to return from Illinois.

Democrats said the early-morning vote showed that Republicans had little interest in negotiating. They “rushed a vote in seconds, cheating Democratic representatives of the opportunity to vote against this horrible legislation,” said the leader of the Assembly’s Democrats, Peter Barca. “Then they fled the chamber surrounded by armed law enforcement agents,” he said </div></div> video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TRBMEggRzis)

Q.. </div></div>

They Are SCUM!

Repigs are going to pay for this, and pay BIG!

G.

LWW
03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They Are SCUM!

Repigs are going to pay for this, and pay BIG!

G. </div></div>

That sounded like a threat?

Perhaps I should call Homeland Security?

LWW