PDA

View Full Version : Another Filipino Win's a World Championship

KalboKev
02-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Congrat's to Dennis Orcollo. Some folks mistakenly spell his name "Orcullo". 2011 WPA World 8-ball champion at Fujairah. And he was a "qualifier". That's a tough row-to-hoe. Is there a better pool playing nation per capita than the Republic of the Philippines? Just look at the top ten WPA rankings. 6 or 7 are from the RP. I see it daily on local TV and in the local "joints".

bradb
02-28-2011, 12:03 PM
If there is such a thing as reincarnation then the Philippines must be where all the past great pool players are sent. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif Brad

Fran Crimi
02-28-2011, 01:11 PM
I agree, and I certainly don't want to take anything away from the Filippino players. I just want to mention that we have to consider a few things as well. I've been to the World 8 Ball Championship in Fujairah and the support for the Filippino players is incredibly huge. In fact, it's so huge that when a Filippino player plays, the crowd extends beyond the seating in the arena into another room with big screen. That kind of support is a wonderful thing and it really does help the players. And when a Filippino player isn't playing there is plenty of seating in the stands.

Also, many of the World Championship events are taking place in Asia. It makes travel and getting over jet lag much harder for U.S. players. A player from the U.S. would have to arrive about 10 days in advance to totally acclimate to the environment, and that is almost impossible unless they have a sponsor with deep pockets. Even Mika had to make the 14 hour flight to Dubai from NYC, and I saw him in NY only a few days before, so I know he wasn't there that many days ahead. It's a tough trip.

bradb
02-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Its true that there's a lot of jet lag involved for Europeans and US players to travel anywhere in asia, but on the reverse side Filipinos come over here and still win a lot. Of course they may have a lot of deep pocket sponsors to fund their trips.

Fran, Since you have played in the Philippines, I was wondering how the fans there treat outsiders? I remember talking to some players here in Canada about how they hate playing in England because the fans there were almost hostile.

-Brad

Rich R.
02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its true that there's a lot of jet lag involved for Europeans and US players to travel anywhere in asia, but on the reverse side Filipinos come over here and still win a lot. Of course they may have a lot of deep pocket sponsors to fund their trips.

Fran, Since you have played in the Philippines, I was wondering how the fans there treat outsiders? I remember talking to some players here in Canada about how they hate playing in England because the fans there were almost hostile.

-Brad
</div></div>I think the Philipino players tend to stay in this country for longer periods of time. A few of them share hotel rooms and they attend as many regional tournaments as possible as they travel. I've seen top Philipino players playing in local regional tournaments with less than $1K going to the winner. Usually several of them will enter the tournament and most of the time they all finish in the money. I don't know if this is possible for U.S. players when the travel to Asia but I don't think they do it.

Fran Crimi
02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Brad, I haven't been in the Philippines so I don't know how the fans are there, and Rich is right about the Filippino players when they come to the U.S... they stay awhile.

Deeman3
03-01-2011, 04:27 AM
The players there have always treated me well. The games are very tough even in the small out of the way places. Manila has more monster players than any big city in the world, in my opinion, as I have been to most of them.

There are places you don't want to go wearing a real Rolex! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

KalboKev
03-03-2011, 06:33 AM
I live here, see it almost everyday on local TV, it's in Tagalog, so I mute and just watch. There are young guy's here no one has ever heard of playing Warren Kiamco, Jeff De Luna, Lee Van Corteza, Roberto Gomez, etc... play 'em REALLY tough and often times win. "Who is this kid"? I often think to myself. Here in the PI, Pro Pool players are a half step behind Manny Pacquiao, Rock Stars. Doesn't matter what country you are from. Of course "they'll" cheer for the local boys a bit louder. Pinoy's appreciate good play.

bradb
03-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Yes nothing wrong with cheering your home guys.

Nothing more irritating though then the fan behavior we see during the competition in the Mosconi cup between England and the US.

Speaking of that, I would love to see some sort of similar event that would pit the US, Europe and Asia (which I assume would include the Philippines,) in a 3-way team competition. That way we would get to see a lot more Fillo players.

Brad

LesterJewit
03-04-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm happy to be here and I'm glad to know more regarding your site..tnx

auto dealership (http://dealerlicenseconsulting.com) - car auctions (http://dealerlicenseconsulting.com) - dealer plates (http://dealerlicenseconsulting.com)