PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the kick break in 1-Hole

09-09-2002, 11:30 AM
Hi all,
Anyone willing to share some escapes from the side rail kick break. I could be wrong, but I think this is the toughest break to get out of, at least I have trouble. It almost seems every returning shot after this break is goin to move balls to his side of the table (if the break is executed properly). I know Grady says he welcomes anyone to breaks this way because he doesn't believe it is that strong of a break. I feel it is about a 2-ball advantage.

Paul_Mon
09-09-2002, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TheShot:</font><hr> Hi all,
Anyone willing to share some escapes from the side rail kick break. I could be wrong, but I think this is the toughest break to get out of, at least I have trouble. It almost seems every returning shot after this break is goin to move balls to his side of the table (if the break is executed properly). I know Grady says he welcomes anyone to breaks this way because he doesn't believe it is that strong of a break. I feel it is about a 2-ball advantage. <hr></blockquote>

You could try this shot
START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CH9N6%DL3L8%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK2N0%HM9M3%I L7O4%JK1K5
%KF1P6%LF8M4%MK6Q4%NF9V0%OH1G4%PN4Q2%QA9B0%RA9[3%Wb8C8%XO1P7
%Yr5P5%Zc8C5%[h8Z8%\r9Q7%]I1D0%^g9[4%eC1`7
)END

If you can not thin a ball on the stack just take the scratch.

Paul Mon

NH_Steve
09-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Try getting used to this kick safety. Don't worry about whether you take it as an intentional scratch, or get a slight skim off one of the loose balls -- just focus on a clean kick to behind a ball on opponent's side. This is the consistent easy way to start your way out of the break.

Remember, the kick break itself has potential problems for the breaker -- sometimes the corner ball comes out for a dead shot, or even a clean shot; sometimes the cue leaks out if it's a little miss hit. And often the balls don't really open up in favor of the breaker, so you don't have to 'turn the break around' on your very first shot -- you'll get a good chance soon enough, more often than not.

I like the kick break once in a while, just to throw a quirk at my opponent, but advanced players already know how to get out of it fairly consistently, and it's not worth using if your standard break is opening nicely, IMO -- except as an occasional quirk if you think your opponent isn't accustomed to the proper response.

START(
%KF1P6%LF8M4%MK6Q4%NF9V0%OH1G4%PN4Q2%QA9B0%RA9[3%WH0Z7%XM9Q9
%YC9P7%ZF9[0%]G5D4%^C9N8%eB4`6
)END

<a target="_blank" href=http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html>Shortcut to WEI</a>

Troy
09-09-2002, 03:28 PM
I would try your approach but just barely nick the 1-ball to avoid the foul.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Paul_Mon:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: TheShot:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Hi all,
Anyone willing to share some escapes from the side rail kick break. I could be wrong, but I think this is the toughest break to get out of, at least I have trouble. It almost seems every returning shot after this break is goin to move balls to his side of the table (if the break is executed properly). I know Grady says he welcomes anyone to breaks this way because he doesn't believe it is that strong of a break. I feel it is about a 2-ball advantage. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

You could try this shot
START(
%KF1P6%LF8M4%MK6Q4%NF9V0%OH1G4%PN4Q2%QA9B0%RA9[3%Wb8C8%XO1P7
%Yr5P5%Zc8C5%[h8Z8%\r9Q7%]I1D0%^g9[4%eC1`7
)END

If you can not thin a ball on the stack just take the scratch.

Paul Mon <hr></blockquote>

09-09-2002, 03:34 PM
I Don't know how to make the "codes" on the WEI table work.

PS I use an IMAC.

NH_Steve
09-09-2002, 08:16 PM
Basically what I was describing is a short kick, across the foot of the table, (side rail, foot rail &amp; maybe lighlty off the far side rail) sending the cueball to the area just above your opponent's pocket, preferably behind/under any balls on his side. The priority is where the cue ball comes to rest, not whether or not it takes a scratch to get the cue there.

Try reading this help page for the WEI table. I have no idea if iMac would work or not, as I'm not much of an IT person.
<a target="_blank" href=http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2_help.html>WEI Help Link</a>

BillPorter
09-10-2002, 06:07 AM
Steve, thanks to you and Paul for your suggestions. I see the kick break so rarely that I tend to panic a bit when someone uses it and the cue ball is frozen to the rack. I tend to worry too much about taking the scratch. Looking at the WEI table showing the outcome of Steve's kick reminded me that sometimes it is well worth it to take a scratch in one-hole.