PDA

View Full Version : Holder drops charges against Black Panthers

pooltchr
03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
The Black Panthers who were facing punishment for voter intimidation in Philadelphia for standing at the door of the polling place with billy sticks, have had the charges dropped by AG Eric Holder.

I'm searching for the quote he made about "the way <span style='font-size: 17pt'>my people </span>were treated" but haven't found the link yet.

"My people"??????? I thought the Attorney General of the United States represented all Americans...not just those who are of one particular race!!!

Steve

Soflasnapper
03-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Here's the quote with some surrounding quote context:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Attorney General seemed to take personal offense at a comment Culberson read in which former Democratic activist Bartle Bull called the incident the most serious act of voter intimidation he had witnessed in his career.

"Think about that," Holder said. "When you compare what people endured in the South in the 60s to try to get the right to vote for African Americans, and to compare what people were subjected to there to what happened in Philadelphia—which was inappropriate, certainly that…to describe it in those terms I think does a great disservice to people who put their lives on the line, who risked all, for my people," said Holder, who is black.

Holder noted that his late sister-in-law, Vivian Malone Jones, helped integrate the University of Alabama.

"To compare that kind of courage, that kind of action, and to say that the Black Panther incident wrong thought it might be somehow is greater in magnitude or is of greater concern to us, historically, I think just flies in the face of history and the facts.," Holder said with evident exasperation.

In a series of questions and comments earlier in the hearing, Culberson insisted that race had infected the decision-making process. "There’s clearly evidence, overwhelming evidence, that your Department of Justice refuses to protect the rights of anybody other than African Americans to vote," the Texas Republican said. "There's a pattern of a double standard here."

“I would disagree very vehemently with the notion that there’s overwhelming evidence that that is in fact true,” Holder replied. “This Department of Justice does not enforce the law in a race-conscious way.”

Rep. Chaka Fattah, a Democrat from Philadelphia, said the Black Panthers "should not have been there." But he said the GOP was making too much out of a fleeting incident involving a couple of people.

"The most unethical thing a person can do is make allegations based on absolutely nothing," Fattah said. "The only issue of race is singling out this particular decision...That this rises to national significance is bogus on its face."</div></div>

pooltchr
03-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I find the use of the term "inappropriate" do describe the actions of the Black Panthers to be "inappropriate"!

I find the use of the term "my people" when talking about his race, to be, well, racist!!

Steve

LWW
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the use of the term "inappropriate" do describe the actions of the Black Panthers to be "inappropriate"!

I find the use of the term "my people" when talking about his race, to be, well, racist!!

Steve </div></div>

But Holder obviously doesn't see any issues with King Shabazz suggesting that Holder's "PEOPLE" need to "KILL SOME CRACKER BABIES!" ... now, the scary thing is that Holder was Obama's pick as the most qualifed person to bring justice to America.

LWW

Soflasnapper
03-03-2011, 06:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Black Panthers who were facing punishment for voter intimidation in Philadelphia for standing at the door of the polling place with billy sticks, have had the charges dropped by AG Eric Holder.

I'm searching for the quote he made about "the way <span style='font-size: 17pt'>my people </span>were treated" but haven't found the link yet.

"My people"??????? I thought the Attorney General of the United States represented all Americans...not just those who are of one particular race!!!

Steve </div></div>

Steve, you DO know, don't you, that this is now 8 months old or so? And that it is an untrue charge, right?

A conservative dismisses Black Panther 'fantasies' (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/39861.html)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A scholar whom President George W. Bush appointed as vice chairwoman of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, Abigail Thernstrom has a reputation as a tough conservative critic of affirmative action and politically correct positions on race.

But when it comes to the investigation that the Republican-dominated commission is now conducting into the Justice Department’s handling of an alleged incident of voter intimidation involving the New Black Panther Party — a controversy that has consumed conservative media in recent months — Thernstrom has made a dramatic break from her usual allies.

“This doesn’t have to do with the Black Panthers; this has to do with their fantasies about how they could use this issue to topple the [Obama] administration,” said Thernstrom, who said members of the commission voiced their political aims “in the initial discussions” of the Panther case last year.

“My fellow conservatives on the commission had this wild notion they could bring Eric Holder down and really damage the president,” Thernstrom said in an interview with POLITICO.
[...]

Three Republican poll monitors filed complaints of intimidation — itself a federal crime — but no voters attested to being turned away. The Justice Department, while Bush was still president, investigated the incident and later, after Obama took office, decided that "the facts and the law did not support pursuing" the claims against the party and against a second, unarmed man, Justice spokeswoman Tracy Schmaler said.

[...]

Thernstrom, who had openly mocked the commission’s hearing on the case, put her dissent in writing last week in National Review, where she said the incident was “racial theater of very minor importance” and “small potatoes.”

And other conservatives have weighed in on her side.

“There are more important issues to go after Attorney General Holder on even in terms of the voting rights section itself,” said Linda Chavez, president of the Center for Equal Opportunity, who was staff director of the Civil Rights Commission in the Reagan years and called the video “damning” but relatively minor.

“Because it’s 24-hour news and cable news and Fox News — this is the kind of story, like the ACORN story, that’s got pictures that you can run over and over again,” said Chavez, who noted that she’s a Fox News contributor.

“When it comes to race, the right, like the left, can't resist getting hung up with trivia and sideshows,” said Amy Wax, a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania and the author of an influential book arguing that discrimination against blacks is no longer very meaningful. “How do the antics of these two Black Panthers make a difference?”

A leading writer on the widely read HotAir marveled at Fox’s eagerness to offer a platform to the New Black Panther Party’s ranting chairman, Malik Shabazz, crediting it to the fact that the “outrageous outrage he provokes is good for ratings and partly because, as here, his demagoguery necessarily casts the host in the role of Spokesman for Decency."

And Doug Mataconis of the conservative blog Outside the Beltway called the flap “much ado about very, very little.”</div></div>

pooltchr
03-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Good to see you supporting Holder supporting "his people".

Steve

wolfdancer
03-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Damnation...your contradicting facts, keep interfering with some of the **** being posted here. darn, darn, darn

JohnnyD
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damnation...your contradicting facts, keep interfering with some of the **** being posted here. darn, darn, darn </div></div>Speak in a civil tone,no cursing.

Soflasnapper
03-03-2011, 07:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good to see you supporting Holder supporting "his people".

Steve </div></div>

He was expressing extreme frustration and perhaps even anger that somebody characterized THIS non-event as 'the worst voter intimidation he'd ever seen.'

Holder was contrasting real and actual voter intimidation, against which people put their lives on the line, yes, 'for [his] people.' They faced beatings, lynchings, murder in other ways, in so doing, just as those deprived of their rights to vote also faced these same things.

Whose civil liberties and right to vote do you think the civil rights movement was (mainly) concerned about? Women of all colors or something? Of course, it was 'his people.'

If a Japanese-American decried the internment of WW II while referring to 'my people,' would that be also condemned by you, because you know, ALL Americans were subjected to internment, just as all Americans were deprived their rights to vote, in equal proportions across the board?

wolfdancer
03-03-2011, 07:16 PM
You are now in charge here?
I don't consider darn, nor damnation, nor **** to be cursing.
However, if you feel it was a reportable offense....

JohnnyD
03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are now in charge here?
However, if you feel it was a reportable offense.... </div></div>
I am not in charge.You have sought out the truth and have found it.I commend you for the initiative.When someone finds the truth it sets them free.The truth will set all free.
Jesus loves you.

Qtec
03-03-2011, 07:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good to see you supporting Holder supporting "his people".

Steve </div></div>

O..M..G!

Did you miss this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, you DO know, don't you, that this is now 8 months old or so?<u> And that it is an untrue charge, right?</u> </div></div>

did you check the link provided? Did you read it?

News for you, Fox Lies! The people in WI aren't chanting 'Fox Lies' for nothing.

Even when presented with the <u>truth</u>, you still prefer to believe in lies because it suits your <u>opinion</u>.

Q

pooltchr
03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

O..M..G!

Did you miss this?

Q </div></div>

No, Q, I didn't. Did you miss <u>this</u>???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think does a great disservice to people who put their lives on the line, who risked all, for <span style='font-size: 17pt'>my people</span>," said Holder, who is black.

</div></div>

Steve

Qtec
03-03-2011, 09:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Attorney General seemed to take personal offense at a comment Culberson read in which former Democratic activist Bartle Bull <u>called the incident the most serious act of voter intimidation he had witnessed in his career.</u> <span style="color: #990000"> <span style='font-size: 17pt'>Pure BS.</span></span>

"Think about that," Holder said. "When you compare what people endured in the South in the 60s to try to get the right to vote for African Americans, and to compare what people were subjected to there to what happened in Philadelphia—which was inappropriate, certainly that…to describe it in those terms I think does a great disservice to people who put their lives on the line, who risked all, for my people," said Holder, who is black. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does a great disservice to people who put their lives on the line, who risked all, for my people, </div></div>

ie, blacks.

Q

wolfdancer
03-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Just where have I "found the truth"?.... at the bottom of a bottle of Glenfiddich, maybe? By the way....the rating on that scotch:
"Glenfiddich is a Single Highland Malt most remarkable for its blandness and lack of character."
I much prefer Johnny Walker Blue...problem is, at $170 a bottle, I can't afford it.
There isn't anything that I discern in your posts, that would lead one to the "truth", or a "higher power", but... certainly others may respond favorably to your writings.

JohnnyD
03-04-2011, 05:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are now in charge here?
Clean up your writings or another vacation will be in order.
Jesus loves you.

Qtec
03-04-2011, 06:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are now in charge here?
<u>Clean up your writings or another vacation will be in order.</u>
Jesus loves you. </div></div>

Suddenly JohnnyD is not so forgiving. LOL

Q....

LWW
03-04-2011, 07:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are now in charge here?
<u>Clean up your writings or another vacation will be in order.</u>
Jesus loves you. </div></div>

Suddenly JohnnyD is not so forgiving. LOL

Q.... </div></div>

That was a word of caution.

LWW