PDA

View Full Version : Stupidonomics update.

LWW
03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
After years of the far bleating that what we all need is plug in coal powered automobiles so that we can save Gaia ... essentially none of them were willing to practice what they preach.

Under 1,000 in 4 months!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peruse Chevrolet's February sales release, and you'll notice one number that's blatantly missing: the number of Chevy Volts sold. The number Ė a very modest 281 Ė is available in the company's detailed data (PDF), but it certainly isn't something that GM wants to highlight, apparently. Keeping the number quiet is a bit understandable, since it's lower than the 321 that Chevy sold in January.

Nissan doesn't have anything to brag about here, either (and it didn't avoiding any mention of the Leaf sales in its press release). Why? Well, back in January, the company sold 87 Leafs. In February? Just 67. Where does that leave us? Well, here's the big scorecard for all sales of these vehicles thus far:

Volt: 928
Leaf: 173

Ouch. The big questions, of course, revolve around one word: "Why?" Is ramping up production and deliveries still a problem? Is demand weak? Are unscrupulous dealers to blame? When will sales start to climb? And what are these numbers doing to plug-in vehicle work at other automakers? We don't know all the answers, but for more on February auto sales, click here. </div></div>

Coal powered cars to save the Earth from pollution ... that's funny! (http://green.autoblog.com/2011/03/01/gm-sells-281-chevy-volts-february-nissan-67-leafs/)

Brought to you by the same people who believe that you save the forests by causing it to burn and fuel the economy by issuing more unemployment checks.

LWW

LWW
03-04-2011, 10:24 AM
BTW ... if just 1% of Obama voters bought a Volt in the first year it would create 57,881 Volt sales per month on average.

At the current sales rate 0.000404567% of Obama voters will buy a Volt within the first year.

Hypocrites!

LWW

jimmyg
03-04-2011, 10:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW ... if just 1% of Obama voters bought a Volt in the first year it would create 57,881 Volt sales per month on average.

At the current sales rate 0.000404567% of Obama voters will buy a Volt within the first year.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Hypocrites!</span>
LWW </div></div>

Let me expand on that LWW.

Hypocrites, liars, cult members, self-serving, corrupt, inept, illogical....very sick individuals.

J

LWW
03-04-2011, 10:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW ... if just 1% of Obama voters bought a Volt in the first year it would create 57,881 Volt sales per month on average.

LWW </div></div>

Hypocrites, liars, cult members, self-serving, corrupt, inept, illogical....very sick individuals.

J </div></div>

Might I add "Holier than thou, do as I say not as I do, the rules don't apply to me, kleptocratic, thugocratic, doublethinking practitioners of blackwhite, party spoonlicking, catch phrase loving Obamatrons!"

LWW

jimmyg
03-04-2011, 11:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimmyg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW ... if just 1% of Obama voters bought a Volt in the first year it would create 57,881 Volt sales per month on average.

LWW </div></div>

J </div></div>

Might I add "Holier than thou, do as I say not as I do, the rules don't apply to me, kleptocratic, thugocratic, doublethinking practitioners of blackwhite, party spoonlicking, catch phrase loving Obamatrons!"

LWW </div></div>

Very well done! Perfect description of one of the female (?), top posters (in number only), here at BD. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

J

Sev
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
HAHHAHAAH!!!

Soflasnapper
03-04-2011, 01:28 PM
The Volt is an overpriced, underperforming car.

How many $40k cars get sold with those characteristics?

LWW
03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Volt is an overpriced, underperforming car.

How many $40k cars get sold with those characteristics? </div></div>

Gubmint Motors cares not, and you are wrong. It's a $40K+ car after a huge taxpayer subsidy.

We have a fleet of gubmint mandated coal powered cars and also a gubmint mandated fleet of corn powered cars.

Ahhhhh ... progress.

LWW

Soflasnapper
03-04-2011, 06:35 PM
The number of people who might want to buy so-called green cars includes many who ALREADY bought such cars in prior years before this variation of a green car came out. They are probably out of the market, assuming a relatively recent purchase of the car they now have.

Some who are now buying such cars may wisely decide to take a pass on an unproven over-priced, bad driving, low performance, first generation, FIRST YEAR MODEL, of this car (that's a very sensible rule of thumb, btw).

So, if you want to see green-car minded people, look up the sales for recent years, and the number of said cars on the road, comprising the cars that get 40 mph+ mileage, from hybrid cars, to diesel cars, to mini-cars, to every Honda (I thought I heard, maybe not), etc. I assume you will agree that THIS number is fairly large, but knowing my interlocutor, maybe you won't.

Look, maybe you've had your delicate feelings hurt by mean old greenies calling you names. Maybe you're still upset by these old wounds, and feel a need to settle the score.

That doesn't mean you have to stoop to such nonsensical claims in an effort to make yourself feel better by trashing other people in such a dishonest fashion. Unless you really do, and my apologies and sympathy if that is the case.

Soflasnapper
03-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Green cars rundown.

The total number of these sold recently and totals on the road are slightly higher than the figure LWW laughs at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Jim Motavalli

40 mpg: These days, a lot of cars reach that holy grail, including American vehicles

You don't need to buy a hybrid or spend much money to cross that fuel-efficient threshold. U.S. carmakers are finally entering turf long cornered by the Asians.

ECO-MINDED: This small Chevy gets 40 mpg without hybrid drive or a diesel engine. (Photo: Chevrolet)

Thereís nothing fancy about the $17,000 Hyundai Elantra Blue edition Iím driving this week, but with a manual transmission, itís surprisingly sporty, and I like the iPod connection. The styling is bland and dated, but the kids donít complain sitting in the back seat. Did I mention the 35 mpg on the highway? That's two mpg better than last year's base Elantra, at just $25 more.

Like the kid who gets into Wesleyan but not Yale, the Elantra just misses being part of an exclusive club. It doesnít cross the magic threshold of 40 mpg. The new $13,995 Ford Fiesta, due out this summer, is a car Iíve been following closely. It just got an acceptance letter from the EPA ó itís in, 40 mpg on the highway, 29 in the city. And thatís with a six-speed automatic. Oddly enough, the manual Fiesta is more like the Elantra ó 37 highway, and only 23 in town.

The Fiesta was designed from the beginning to have green appeal and to sell to texting, tweeting and Facebooking 20-year-olds. Ford promoted it by handing some early Euro versions to young bloggers for six months, then two-person teams (friends and couples) were handed cars to write about. College students should welcome the fuel frugality, as should no-kids-yet young marrieds and first-job ladder climbers.

The Fiesta looks promising to me, but I havenít driven one yet. Those bloggers said it was, well, cool. There are other 40-mpg contenders, including the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan hybrid twins, a raft of diesels (Audi A3, Volkswagen Jetta and Golf), Honda Civic and Insight hybrids, and the Smart ForTwo.

As readers know, I did get to spend time in the Passion Cabriolet version of the Smart, and liked it more than I expected to, but also encountered some serious flaws, including bad hesitation, a noisy engine, and truck-like brakes. Iíd choose the slightly less fuel-efficient but similarly priced Elantra, with an extra row of seats, or the even more capable Honda Fit (35 mpg).

The entry-level economy car is about to get a whole lot more interesting, especially from American carmakers. The Fiesta will be complemented by the larger Ford Focus, and General Motors is trotting out the very small Aveo and Spark, as well as the larger Cruze. The latter is debuting an exciting "Eco" edition ó see the video below:

I chatted with Charlie Mott, who is the product and marketing manager for the Aveo, and he filled me in on this wholly new entry. GM started selling a no-great-shakes Aveo in 2003, a product of its joint venture with Daewoo in Korea. Soaring gas prices helped move some of them. ďA well-timed entry,Ē said Mott.

But the new Aveo is built from scratch, benefitting from small car experience at both Daewoo and GMís European Opel division.

The Aveo (priced somewhere between $13,000 and $15,000) and the tiny urban-oriented Spark start production in 2011, part of a laser-like car focus at the newly profitable GM. As a stockholder, Iím proud. ďWe donít intend to take a backseat to anyone with small cars,Ē said Mott.

My car of the year is the Cruzeís new Eco model as shown in the video. It uses every trick in the book (shaved welds, an air curtain for aerodynamics) to get better fuel economy without a turbo or hybrid drive. And guess what? 40 mpg on the highway.

Also on MNN: Kelly Green Book announces top green cars for 2010

MNN homepage photo of Cruze courtesy of Chevrolet </div></div>

LWW
03-05-2011, 05:41 AM
The Cruze and Aveo are sensible eco minded cars well within the range of most Americans.

Their popularity, especially the Cruze, is market driven in that it delivers adequate acceleration and reasonable comfort combined with great mileage for a relatively low cost.

What does that have to do with the gubmint forcing companies to offer these insane coal and corn powered cars?

The answer is obviously nothing.

Another result of gubmint tinkering is the hybrid craze ... which are completely non Earth friendly, yet are a favorite of the Goremons.

The one thing severely hurting the Volt also, IMHO, is that the Goremon crowd it was designed to appeal to almost never owns an American car.

LWW

Sev
03-05-2011, 08:34 AM
I am wondering what the mileage of my van would be if I converted it to propane?

LWW
03-05-2011, 12:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The number of people who might want to buy so-called green cars includes many who ALREADY bought such cars in prior years before this variation of a green car came out.</div></div>

Are you honestly suggesting that the Volt and the Leaf are "GREEN" cars?

LWW

Sev
03-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Green cars my arse. The polution created making them eclipses that made by a HumV in the course of its lifetime.

pooltchr
03-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I wonder what the disposal fee will be when the batteries need to be replaced.

Steve

LWW
03-06-2011, 02:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what the disposal fee will be when the batteries need to be replaced.

Steve </div></div>

Do not question the fiats of the regime.

LWW