PDA

View Full Version : One pocket strategy

09-09-2002, 03:50 PM
I just read the One Pocket rules over at the BCA website. It sounds like it would be a refreshing change from 9-ball. I found it interesting that balls which are potted in the opponent's pocket count toward the opponent's score unless a scratch is commited on the same shot. It is generally acceptable to pocket a hanger in the opponent's pocket and use follow to scratch in the same pocket?

SpiderMan
09-09-2002, 03:59 PM
It's a fairly common strategy. If a ball is hanging in the pocket and you follow it in, it comes out and spots. Your opponent gets ball in hand in the kitchen. But, since you scratched, one of your balls also comes out and spots. This ties up the balls so he doesn't have a simple spot shot.

SpiderMan

PQQLK9
09-09-2002, 04:01 PM
Only on his game ball , because it will have to be spotted along with one that you owe for the scratch....if his banking lines are clear he has a resonable chance of making one of the spot balls with BIH.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Yes.. it is.. very accepted.. buy Generals and corporals.. alike..

One Pocket is a game that forces you to exercise almost every thing you know about playing pool. Stroke, speed, cue ball position, object ball(s) position, kicks, banks (multiple rail), safes, patience, full table management, defensive moves and most of all HUMILITY

Troy
09-09-2002, 05:27 PM
To scratch or not depends greatly on the game situation, but yes, it is acceptable strategy.

If you're just getting into 1-Pocket, I suggest a copy of Jack H. Koehler's "Upscale One Pocket". It should run about $12-15.

Troy...~~~ Caution, 1-Pocket is extremely addictive..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-09-2002, 05:45 PM
Absolutely! Under the right circumstances, it is the only shot that can keep you from losing the game! For instance, if you get down to where only 1 ball is left and it's hanging in your opponents pocket, too deep to get out, this is the shot you have to play (or, from some angles, it isn't really possible to follow it in, in which case the right shot is to jack up and try to make the ball and pop the cue ball off the table). The ball then spots up, along with one of your balls, and your opponent has ball-in-hand behind the line.

OnePocketChamp
09-09-2002, 06:36 PM
There was a recent amendment to those rules, rule #136-6a, which states,as follows: if the ball is deemed to be hanging in your designated corner pocket after executing a legal shot. Then by executive decision of the National One Pocket board this is to be considered a foul and that ball plus one more are to be spotted. This is commonly referred to as the Newton rule, as the ball is defying gravity and as a result it is a foul.

Vapros
09-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Everybody knows that the Newton rule is for apples and not for billiard balls, and the National One Pocket Board is in the little house behind my house and it has a couple of 12" holes cut in it. There is a 1994 Sears catalog in place on one end of it. Hope this clarifies this matter for all.

rackmup
09-09-2002, 07:14 PM
Please excuse my friend...he is old and feeble.

Regards,

Ken (apologizing for Les more and more these days)

Troy
09-09-2002, 07:27 PM
OK Les, but if you insist on those rules, you must explain that it is your penalty ball ball that is alsso spotted.

Troy...~~~ Can go along with this silliness momentarily... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: OnePocketChamp:</font><hr> There was a recent amendment to those rules, rule #136-6a, which states,as follows: if the ball is deemed to be hanging in your designated corner pocket after executing a legal shot. Then by executive decision of the National One Pocket board this is to be considered a foul and that ball plus one more are to be spotted. This is commonly referred to as the Newton rule, as the ball is defying gravity and as a result it is a foul. <hr></blockquote>

09-10-2002, 05:53 AM
Thanks Troy, I'll have to check that book out. Now, if I can talk someone else around these parts into playing with me, I'll be set.

I never see anything except 8-ball or 9-ball being played.
I can't even get a game of 14.1.

Fred Agnir
09-10-2002, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: DragonSlayer:</font><hr> Thanks Troy, I'll have to check that book out. Now, if I can talk someone else around these parts into playing with me, I'll be set.

I never see anything except 8-ball or 9-ball being played.
I can't even get a game of 14.1. <hr></blockquote>
Fortunately, in today's information and technology age, neophytes at 1-pocket have an opportunity to learn about the game at a quicker pace then our forefathers. I suggest Accustat Videos, along with the aforementioned Koehler book. I'd suggest Winning One-Pocket, but it's out of print so finding it might be a task.

Fred