PDA

View Full Version : Do high quality one piece cues exist anywhere?

His Boy Elroy
03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm 51 years old. My dad put a 9 foot pool table in the basement when I was 11. I still live in the same house. I'll estimate I've been missing balls on the table for at least ten thousand hours. I've never done a drill or actually worked on my game. I just toss the balls out and bang away. I find it relaxing. I've never been in a pool room or played against another "real" player - just friends and relatives when they are over. Anyway; seems these days when I bang away I don't often miss. I think, maybe; if I buy a quality cue I'll miss even less. The one I'm playing with now I bought at J.C Penny 15 years ago for $50. It doesn't have a brand name on it. My question is this: since I only play in my basement, I don't need a 2 piece cue. Are there any fine quality 1 piece cues out there? Also; this deflection business and the shafts that minimize it - I'm well aware that deflection exists, however, it plays absolutely no role in my game, for the simple reason that although I frequently put slight english on the ball, I never see the need to apply the amount of english necessary to cause the ball to deflect. This being the case, If I find a 2 piece cue and I like the balance to it and the feel , etc., but it has a low deflection shaft, should I stay away from it? Will the low deflection shaft hurt my game or will it make no difference?.....Long time reader - first time poster. I'd appreciate any comments.

wolfdancer
03-05-2011, 08:19 PM
I used to work in pool rooms, and the consensus was that Dufferin
made the best one piece..."house" cues. We used to set aside the ones that our regulars preferred.
They are priced from $32 and up....
They seem to have discontinues their sneaky Pete, or 2 piece models

cushioncrawler
03-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I would borrow/test lots of different cues, if u can gettum.
In the end the best cue will be the one with the best tip, ie the tip that suites u.
Handy hint. Steal the tip, and return the cue.
mac.

Bambu
03-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Nothing wrong with a low deflection cue, aside from the price of course. Even a small amount of spin should result in some deflection, though its not always enough to miss a shot. If you don't care about the deflection much, I agree the Dufferin might best suit your needs. A high end 1 piece cue would have to be custom made.

wolfdancer
03-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Q, I had a cue repair business for awhile, and tested many tips.
It's hard to beat a LePro. I used to test them first for hardness, also pressed them in a vice.
I stick to Talismans now...they had a delamination problem a few years back, but they solved that, and now play great!!
I have an average stroke though.
"Steal the tip....." pool players don't do underhanded things like that....or do they?

cushioncrawler
03-06-2011, 05:23 AM
I am thinking that cue deflektion (squirt) iz important even when not uzing intentional english.
I think that deflektion can make your straight-in shots look good.
U might hav a (nonintentional) swoop or hoik, u might hit the qball off-center (nonintentionally). But the cue deflektion saves the day, and the ball duznt touch the sides. Great shot.

But, i think that the tip, especially the shape, plays a big part in the auto-korrekting characteristik of the cue.

I think Elroy shood look for an auto-korrekting cue. But this might not be eezy. U would need to hav a selektion of say 10 different cues, and then try say 10 different tips on eech, or find 100 such ready-made cues.

If u think about it, a proper cue supplier/manufakturer shood hav 100 such cues available for trial.

Hmmmmmm. U shood inklood different wts in the equation. That brings it up to say 400 cues.
mac.

Rich R.
03-06-2011, 07:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: His Boy Elroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm 51 years old. My dad put a 9 foot pool table in the basement when I was 11. I still live in the same house. I'll estimate I've been missing balls on the table for at least ten thousand hours. I've never done a drill or actually worked on my game. I just toss the balls out and bang away. I find it relaxing. I've never been in a pool room or played against another "real" player - just friends and relatives when they are over. Anyway; seems these days when I bang away I don't often miss. I think, maybe; if I buy a quality cue I'll miss even less. The one I'm playing with now I bought at J.C Penny 15 years ago for $50. It doesn't have a brand name on it. My question is this: since I only play in my basement, I don't need a 2 piece cue. Are there any fine quality 1 piece cues out there? Also; this deflection business and the shafts that minimize it - I'm well aware that deflection exists, however, it plays absolutely no role in my game, for the simple reason that although I frequently put slight english on the ball, I never see the need to apply the amount of english necessary to cause the ball to deflect. This being the case, If I find a 2 piece cue and I like the balance to it and the feel , etc., but it has a low deflection shaft, should I stay away from it? Will the low deflection shaft hurt my game or will it make no difference?.....Long time reader - first time poster. I'd appreciate any comments. </div></div>
First of all, you really should get out and play pool with other people once in a while. You don't have to be a great player or a gambler. Pool is meant to be a social game and enjoyed with other people. Get out and support your local pool room, maybe join a league. If you enjoy pool now, you will enjoy it more with other people involved. I have a table at home and it is relaxing to play by yourself, but, I still go out a couple of nights a week to play in leagues. I little competition is nice too.

Any off center hit of the cue ball will result in some deflection, regardless of the shaft. There is no such thing as a "No deflection" shaft. Low deflection shafts may have less deflection than a solid maple shaft but there is still some deflection. Regardless of what type of shaft you use, you have to take time to get used to the amount of deflection. Some people love the low deflection shafts and some hate them. It is a real personal decision.

If you want a two piece cue, get one. I recommend getting a decent cue because there will be less chance of warpage. McDermott, Lucasi and a couple other companies guarantee against warpage as long as the cue is not abused. Find one that feels good in your hands. It is another personal decision.
If you would prefer a custom cue, for a little more money, I'd be glad to recommend a few good cue makers.

If you insist on a one piece cue, Dufferin is as good as any. They used to be superior to others but the company changed hands a few years ago.

Tips are yet another personal decision and that is why there are so many different tips on the market. You may have to try a few before you find one you really like. A different tip can make a huge difference in your game.

Hope my ramblings help a little.

pooltchr
03-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Elroy,
From everything I read in your post, I don't think which cue you get (not counting the el-cheap-0 big box store cues) will make a whole lot of difference. Whether you get a solid maple shaft or a low deflection, as you use it, you will adjust to how it responds.

I do agree with the suggestion to get out and play with other people. Get a few of your friends together, form a team, and join a league. One night a week out playing is good for your game. You will meet other players, and possibly learn some tips from some of the better players in your league. It's competition, but it's primarily a social event. You don't have to be great to play league, you just have to enjoy playing.

Should you go that route, obviously a 2 piece cue and a case would be appropriate. You can find some very nice cues, often with a case, for under a hundred dollars.

Steve

cushioncrawler
03-06-2011, 03:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....If you want a two piece cue, get one. I recommend getting a decent cue because there will be less chance of warpage. McDermott, Lucasi and a couple other companies guarantee against warpage as long as the cue is not abused.....</div></div>I forgot about bent cues. Most players in reality would go better with a bent cue.
Now, lets say we stick to just say 4 amounts (sinuosity) of bend.
That now brings the number of different cues that a seller/maker shood keep for trialling up to 1600. Previously i sayd 400 would do.
No, wait. Make that 3200 cues. Koz some players will of course prefer a bend to the left.
mac.

wolfdancer
03-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Q, the problem with people chalking up and trying out cues is that the next guy that comes along and wants to buy a new cue...thinks that one is used.I used to sell cues, and had a fair record on closing the deal, but I often let them hit my own Predator/Talisman tip to get a feel for a low deflection cue.
Still have that same cue now,9 years later. Recently reached 4 finals in a row, sitting on the point in 3 of them....split the pot 3 times, won once outright. But these were small local bar events, with short races....and most of the players, including myself, were "bangers"
Thanks to Hal Houle and his 1/2 ball aiming system....I can still occasionally make 3 balls in a row, without great eyesight, nor a great stroke.

His Boy Elroy
03-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the replies. Its' just that squirt mystifies me. I've experimented with it. I've shot balls from one end of the table to the opposite cushion with English applied. Yep - there it is. It surely exists. However; when I hit a cue ball, I know if the object ball is going to go In immediately after the cue ball leaves the cue tip. If I hit he cue ball with the right touch, it always goes in. If I don't hit the cue ball with the right touch, it never goes in. Unfortunately, I' m sure I'll die before I stop hitting the cue ball with the wrong touch. Anyway; I've never compensated for squirt. I've never given squirt any thought while playing, and I'm sure if I had never been made aware of its' existence, my game would be no different whatsoever. But, as I said, I'm aware of its' existence. Go figure! This being the case I'm going to stay away from the low deflection shafts. I'm going to buy a McDermott traditional maple shafted cue, $199 msrp. I've read about most of the cues. This one feels right. Again, thanks for the replies. Although this is my first post, I'm a long time reader. I know all your names. I get a kick out of the fact that some of the big time posters replied.

Rich R.
03-07-2011, 08:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: His Boy Elroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its' just that squirt mystifies me. I've experimented with it. I've shot balls from one end of the table to the opposite cushion with English applied. Yep - there it is. It surely exists. </div></div>
Now that you have experienced "squirt" allow me to get you really confused.
"Squirt" happens when you strike the cue ball off center. The cue ball will squirt away from the english. For example, if you hit the cue ball with left english, the cue ball will squirt to the right.
Now you come to "swerve". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif
When the cue ball squirts to the right, in the example above, you are also putting left side spin on the cue ball. After squirting to the right, that spin will make the cue ball swerve back to the left a little bit.
You can emphasise these effects, and see them better, if you jack up the cue to about 45 degrees and hit the cue ball with a smooth downward stroke.
The good news is, you are probably compensating for most of this stuff already. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

pooltchr
03-07-2011, 08:58 AM
While you may not be consiously compensating for squirt, your mind has been trained to make those small adjustments, That's how you "know" if it was a good shot as soon as you hit it.

Steve

Sid_Vicious
03-07-2011, 11:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to work in pool rooms, and the consensus was that Dufferin
made the best one piece..."house" cues. We used to set aside the ones that our regulars preferred.
They are priced from $32 and up....
They seem to have discontinues their sneaky Pete, or 2 piece models </div></div>

Regulars where I played for years, would hide certain house cues, yes they were Dufferins. I have to say though that it was a small scattering of just a few of the house cues that were special. We had one guy who would walk out the door with one once in a while once the "special" was located, until he was finally caught. He got away with it for years though. sid

Bambu
03-07-2011, 11:37 AM
We would put small key marks on ours, and hide em under the tables. People might look at you a little weird for looking under the tables, but sometimes you would find the best ones under there.

Sid_Vicious
03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We would put small key marks on ours, and hide em under the tables. People might look at you a little weird for looking under the tables, but sometimes you would find the best ones under there. </div></div>

Table 5 used to nearly always have one house cue tucked under it, it had a crude cig lighter burn vear thge forearm, and I am pretty sure I know who was responsible for the mark and the hideout. I'd run into the cue on the wall sometimes and see that burn mark, and play with it just for a test. It was a special cue, but I've not seen it in years, so I assume it finally sprouted legs of it's own.

It's funny how similar stories come from other PHs...sid

eightnine
03-16-2011, 03:38 PM
family leisure pool tables (http://www.familyleisure.com/Pool-Tables-Billiards-Tables)
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: His Boy Elroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm 51 years old. My dad put a 9 foot pool table in the basement when I was 11. I still live in the same house. I'll estimate I've been missing balls on the table for at least ten thousand hours. I've never done a drill or actually worked on my game. I just toss the balls out and bang away. I find it relaxing. I've never been in a pool room or played against another "real" player - just friends and relatives when they are over. Anyway; seems these days when I bang away I don't often miss. I think, maybe; if I buy a quality cue I'll miss even less. The one I'm playing with now I bought at J.C Penny 15 years ago for $50. It doesn't have a brand name on it. My question is this: since I only play in my basement, I don't need a 2 piece cue. Are there any fine quality 1 piece cues out there? Also; this deflection business and the shafts that minimize it - I'm well aware that deflection exists, however, it plays absolutely no role in my game, for the simple reason that although I frequently put slight english on the ball, I never see the need to apply the amount of english necessary to cause the ball to deflect. This being the case, If I find a 2 piece cue and I like the balance to it and the feel , etc., but it has a low deflection shaft, should I stay away from it? Will the low deflection shaft hurt my game or will it make no difference?.....Long time reader - first time poster. I'd appreciate any comments. </div></div>
Interesting story. I bet a lot of people can relate. There are a lot of very good pool players who have never really tested their skills. Unfortunately 2 piece cues are definitely of higher quality. Even though you don't take the stick out of the basement doesn't mean you can't have a 2 piece. I would recommend that route. Let us know how your game improves.

bradb
03-23-2011, 11:13 AM
His Boy, you can get a decent 2 piece cue now for under a hundred bucks. These cues usually have no name and every billiard store has them in every size imaginable, just take'em off the rack and find one that feels comfortable. The wood in them is good and the tips are'nt bad.

You don't need an expensive cue until you take the game up seriously and thats after a lot of play, I have an old cheap Chinese cue i still use for breaking and even use it occasionally when I don't have my regular cue. It pots just as well as my 400 dollar Lucasi.

I would get a 2 piece, its easier to keep around or transport.

Chopstick
03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
40 years ago one piece cues were much nicer than they are today. I considered trying to make some with all the features that are in two piece cues. I think they would play great.

Rich R.
03-24-2011, 05:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">His Boy, you can get a decent 2 piece cue now for under a hundred bucks. These cues usually have no name and every billiard store has them in every size imaginable, just take'em off the rack and find one that feels comfortable. The wood in them is good and the tips are'nt bad.

You don't need an expensive cue until you take the game up seriously and thats after a lot of play, I have an old cheap Chinese cue i still use for breaking and even use it occasionally when I don't have my regular cue. It pots just as well as my 400 dollar Lucasi.

I would get a 2 piece, its easier to keep around or transport. </div></div>The only problem with the really inexpensive cues is that the wood has not been seasoned properly and they tend to warp over time. I have several of them, that I bought to use as house cues, and every one of them has warped to some extent. One of them is really bad and it was probably the most expensive of the bunch.

bradb
03-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Yes stay away from the really cheap cues, under 60 bucks. The 95 dollar Chinese cue I bought has close to the same quality of shaft wood as my Lucassi. I've had it for 10 years now and its still holding up.

cushioncrawler
03-24-2011, 03:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only problem with the really inexpensive cues is that the wood has not been seasoned properly and they tend to warp over time. I have several of them, that I bought to use as house cues, and every one of them has warped to some extent. One of them is really bad and it was probably the most expensive of the bunch.</div></div>Cheap wood can be straightened eezyly, uzing wts, overnite, but u need to do this for many nites.
Good wood can be temporaryly straightened, but allways reverts. So, u havta uze wts every nite for ever.
But i wouldnt straighten any wood untill i tryd the bendy cue first. Most of us need a bendy cue.
Anyhow, there iz no law saying u karnt hold the bend up or down.
mac.

Rich R.
03-25-2011, 05:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes stay away from the really cheap cues, under 60 bucks. The 95 dollar Chinese cue I bought has close to the same quality of shaft wood as my Lucassi. I've had it for 10 years now and its still holding up.
</div></div>
Unfortunately, my warped cues were in the $60 to $100 range. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

bradb
03-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Interesting, I did'nt think the cues up here in Canada were any different? All low to medium cues up here are from China, of course everything is now.

Brad

bustya
05-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Huebler made some real nice 58" one piece cues , a bit pricey , with a nice comfy taper and great wood . not sure if they're still available ...

williamd2
08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
There is nothing worse than finding, after many years, that perfect cue, and then having something happen to it.

It simply can not be replaced in any timely manner.
I would suggest not investing time, in trying to find that cue, you will one day surely miss.
You might instead, find a reasonably priced two piece with a butt you really like.
Then invest in a quality shaft with radial ply construction from a reputable company.
This shaft, although maybe a bit pricy, will be replaceable if lost or damaged and the replacement will still feel familiar to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes stay away from the really cheap cues, under 60 bucks. The 95 dollar Chinese cue I bought has close to the same quality of shaft wood as my Lucassi. I've had it for 10 years now and its still holding up.
</div></div>

A cue, as Bradb indicates above, then equipped with a Predator, Ob1, TigerX, Lucassi Zeroflex,
etc. will not break the bank, and will provide for repeatable performance and predictability, that
you can easily learn to love without the pains associated with loss of a unique cue if and when replacement is required.

DickLeonard
08-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Wolfie Brunswicks Willie Hoppe was the best housecue made and at $36 a dozen what a bargain. The MasterStroke cost $18 a dozen. Of course that was 1960.

I beat Babe Cranfield playing in Hudson N.Y. with a one piece Master. I needed a cue that felt good so I went thru the house cues using Willie Hoppes method of finding Tips. When he found one he would ask the room owner if he could harvest that tip. Then when he needed a new tip he would use the tip. I just didn't have time so I brought the house cue with me.

In the afternoon match he ran 70-74 and in the evening he started with another seventy but I ran an 87 and 63 and out. He was amazed that I could play that well with a housecue but I always said its the Tip not the cue.

DickLeonard
09-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Elroy it is not the cue it is the Tip that is the secret to success. ####

DickLeonard
09-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Wolfie when did you get the shit can. Deeman stopped posting because of your banishment. Dick

TomBrooklyn
06-28-2012, 10:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I needed a cue that felt good so I went thru the house cues using Willie Hoppes method of finding Tips.</div></div>

What was his method?

DickLeonard
07-11-2012, 08:53 PM
TomBrooklyn he would just play with the cue. You must make sure the tip is larger than the mil that is on the shaft. Carefully cut the tip off so that it is flush with the ferrule.

Sorry it took so long to reply with the crazies on the board they have killed my appitite for the Board. ####