PDA

View Full Version : Being to nice

Kato
03-01-2002, 08:38 AM
I was playing my roomate a few weeks ago and Big Jim told me I was too nice on the table. Said maybe I felt guilty about winning and told me he'd do me the biggest favor of my life. "I'm gonna beat you until you get sick of it and can't stand it anymore". "Everytime you miss a ball you're gonna pay, everytime you miss go grab the rack 'cause you just lost". "Rack 'em loser". I thought it was a joke. Took a couple of weeks and them Wednesday night it hit me after I slopped in an 8 ball and left myself perfect on the 9. I felt guilty at first but then I remembered Jim's tirade. THIS IS 9-BALL!!!!!!!!! IF YOU ARE MY FRIEND I'M STILL GONNA SLAM MY GAME DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! This seems to be the way to go. I mean, if I were to match up with any of you, for money, for lunch, table time, or just friendly match up, you would be hunkering down to beat me. I would never really try to beat you. Well now I realize that I beat my best friend Wednesday and another guy last night and at the end we were still FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!! Pretty exhausting bringing that kind of intensity to the table shot after shot, guess I'm gonna have to start working out again.

Kato~~~truly focusing on winning for the first time in 6 years. Better yet, I find that I like WINNING more than I like NOT LOSING.

03-01-2002, 12:00 PM
Well...I'm glad Jim could get his point across!!!

Kato
03-01-2002, 12:01 PM
Did you ever tell me to stop being nice during the time I spent with you working?

Kato?

stickman
03-01-2002, 12:29 PM
I'd rather give one of my friends a spanking anyday over a stranger. Most of my friends that I play with are higher skill level than me. I enjoy rubbing it in when I beat them, of course in fun. I enjoy beating a stranger, but would never rub it in. Besides, I may never play them again.

JimS
03-01-2002, 01:00 PM
"I'm still gunna slam my game down your throat"??!! WELL! SUCH TALK! It's clear that RJ has become a bully.....just a big bully. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I hear ya RJ. Winning can be difficult to fit into one's value system when winning is percieved as hurting someone. Have to change that perception to something in line with reality.

When I get beat it's because their skill level is above mine, or they got lucky, or I screwed up. None of these reasons for the negative outcome is a reflection on my worth as a person.

If their skill level is above mine then I can either accept that or do a Charlie Parker (woodshed) until I can play with them. If it was luck....well luck is fickle. If I screwed up...no big deal. I just go out back and shoot myself.

Regards, JimS ~ got the gun cocked...and a light on in the woodshed.

Rich R.
03-01-2002, 01:05 PM
I think you should play every game as if it had some value to you, even if the only value is self respect. I have league teamates that get upset, when playing a practice game, if I play a safety on them. I just tell them that I need practice playing safeties and they need practice kicking out of them. I expect them to play me the same way. When you don't get to play as much as you would like, I think you value each game. Rich R.~~~if not playing to win, just roll the balls out and shoot.

Chris Cass
03-02-2002, 02:23 AM
Hi Kato,
I'm always nice to all of my friends when we play for nothing. I always go for the White Wash on them. They'll say "That's not very neighborly" and I'll say "I'm not your neighbor. I'm the guy kicking your a$$, besides, you know you don't have any friends. LOLLOLLOL I do feel bad though if I slopped one in. That lasts for about 3 seconds, unless it bothers my opponent. Then I feel guilty for 2 seconds.LOLLOL Really, we play no slop 9ball with opponents option to shoot or not.
Your next,
Chris~~doesn't like to give up any game.

Chris Cass
03-02-2002, 02:27 AM
Hi Jim,
I know were friends but just to let you know. Any game you win from me you've earned. I don't give up squat. You have to take it or live with the rack around your head.

It's not against you or anything. It's just I hate to rack. I've racked enough in my life time and that's it.
Regards,
C.C.~~I'm done racking for you buddy. The game is on..

JimS
03-02-2002, 10:30 AM
WE DON'T COUNT SLOP??!! What's this "we" stuff and WHEN did this start?!

You post above that "we don't count slop". Why you dirty rat you. You never told ME that! We've played a few times and I've NEVER...NEVER EVER seen you not count a slop shot! Granted you "act" a little embarrased and say "Sorry" but you damn sure don't lose any time moving on to the next shot! (and with a grin I might add) so what's up wit dis? You never mentioned that "we" don't count slop...I been gettin hustled! LMFAO!

Having to rack is, without a doubt, the WORST part of losing (unless there is $$$ involved). Standing there at the end of the table arranging the balls a guy just stands out in the crowd and the message stamped on his forehead is "LOSER!" Hey look everybody...I just LOST this game. I tend to rack QUICK so I can get the hell away from the foot of the table and am often grateful that the set is over cause I don't have to rack and make a spectacle of myself again. I can just unscrew and go whimper.

Even though you'll beat me most of the time I am dammed glad you have enough respect for me not to lay down so I can win a game or two. I KNOW when I win a game from you I EARNED IT...and it feels good. CC respects people and this makes him worthy of my respect.

Regards, JimS ~ 9 Ball SHOULD be no-slop...hell, all pool SHOULD be no slop...Period...end of story, no equivocation, no maybe, no ambiguity, NO SLOP!

Kato
03-04-2002, 08:25 AM
See how much fun you guys are? You're all riled up and ready to brawl next time in the "Game Room de Jim S". I'll pay 20 bucks to see that pay per view matchup. Call it "The Challenge of Champions of Champions". We'll get Grady to do the Accustats commentary. It'll be great.

Kato~~~thinks losing sucks. Thinks losing to C.C. sucks even worse.

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 09:11 AM
Hi Kato,
Losing to me sucks even worse? LMAO I like to ala rubit it in your face, you good little racker.LMAO Because I'm so nice I'll let you chalk my cue while I break with your's. LMAO twice as much.
C.C.~~impressed with RJ's game moving up. Kato must suffer.....

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 09:29 AM
RJ,
This is too funny. My wife asked what I was doing? So, I let her read the thread. She asked, Who's Kato? I told her, That's RJ! She says, He's Schizo? LMFAO I didn't want to tell her about Voodoo with all his complex Multi Personalities. ROTFLMAO
Well the good thing is normal people don't frequent the board that much. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
C.C.~~it's a good day..

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 09:31 AM
Hey Stickman,
That last line is words to live by. I like it!!
Regards,
C.C.~~I get repeat business.LOL

Kato
03-04-2002, 09:35 AM
Tell the wife I'm a little wierd but I think she'd like me anyway. I can make her laugh. I'm pretty good at racking, but remember, you're getting older and I'm getting better.

Kato~~~wants to go north for a visit. Wonder if Karate Mom is a good cook?

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 09:48 AM
OK Pal oh pal of mine,
I only play that no slop thing, with friends. From now on we play no slop, and the opponent has option. I'm going for the WhiteWash on you every time buddy boy. Get ready for some intense play. As far as me slopping a ball in and grining about it, your wrong. Inside I'm over joyed and say I'm sorry just to annoy you. There's nothing I enjoy more in life than beating you.

Oh Gawd, I can't write any more. This is killing me. I'm laughing so hard I almost fell off the computer. ROTF Seriously Jim. I enjoy mostly playing with you because of your complete desire to move up in class and your one hell of a good guy.
Regards,
C.C.~~it's no slop for us too.

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 09:59 AM
Hi Rich,
I totally agree with you. We have this in common. It knots up my stomache to not play the way I would for the doe or tourney. I practice how I play. This run out stuff is all fine and dandy but always going for a shot even if you don't have a way of making your next ball is for the birds. I don't shoot 100% offense.

I'm a percentage player myself and safty is part of the game. The opponent just wants to run. That's fine but let him run from a safe position, see how he likes that. Lets play partners Rich.
Regards,
C.C.

JimS
03-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Oh sure! Threaten me with getting out of my chair only when it's time to rack....AGAIN!...and then talk nice to me to soften me up. Well I'll just......Hmmmmm...I'll just what? Hell, I guess I'll watch it happen!, and learn. It's not like there are a multitude of choices for me here.

But I do like the no slop thing you brought up. At least I'll get to shoot once in a while that way. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Later JimS

Rich R.
03-04-2002, 02:12 PM
We can play partners anytime Chris, but you will have to pick up the slack in my game. LOL. Rich R.

Kato
03-04-2002, 03:39 PM
I'll take Jim S with his new aiming system on his home turf on his tricked up table and play partners against Chris and Rich anyday. Book it Danno, it's a date.

Kato~~~A$$ kickin' time.

JimS
03-04-2002, 05:22 PM
In light of this post I'd have to label Kato a testosterone laden fool. A classic case of alligator mouth and hummingbird ass! It's time for RJ, whom I assume has a little more sense than Kato, to take over the reins.

Later JimS

phil in sofla
03-04-2002, 06:04 PM
I used to unconsciously dog it a little when people I was playing would get upset, say they should quit for the day since they were shooting poorly, etc.

I only gradually realized this was my pattern, and have learned to quit it. However, it wasn't because I was nice, but because I didn't want to quit shooting with them right at that time it seemed they were going to pull up.

Now, I can let them complain about their games, and still shoot my best I can at the time, without being affected. But it is weird to realize that THEIR complaining that THEIR game was in the toilet was getting ME to play worse.

Now, it isn't that I'm trying to beat THEM (whoever they may be), but either a) make the shot at hand, and get my shape, or b) get out of the rack, which is more, beating the game.

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 10:39 PM
Hey Phil,
Can't you see were all woofen here? If you can't talk smak then back off. LMAO You can bring the beer.
Regards,
C.C.~~Phil's the sensible one......

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 10:43 PM
Hi Rich,
Not to worry. When Jim's in the bathroom we'll move the balls, where we want. I got your back any day.
Regards,
C.C.

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 10:53 PM
Phil,
Has the thought of them knowing you'ld pull up if they complain ever crossed your mind? It's very common to the local boys to use that ploy. Another would be to say, gonna let me shoot once in a while?
C.C.~~just drill'em if they quit, oh well........

stickman
03-04-2002, 11:02 PM
Sounds like someone's been studying my game. The old bathroom trick works every time. ;-)

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 11:13 PM
Hi RJ,
Are you kidding? Heide could make noodles with out the directions. She once burnt a can of dog food. When I asked what she was making she said, I think it's corned beef hash.

The girl once made hard boiled eggs in the microwave thinking it would be faster. How did ya think I lost my hair? I asked her to make me a cup of coffee one day and she put the grounds in the cup and nuked it for 2 minutes. She gave it to me and when I asked where's the water she tells my, Where do you think? It's in that silver thingy on the sink.LMAO

I only married her because she's drop dead gorgous. Not to mention her eyesight is bad. So, it was to my advantage.LOL
Regards,
C.C.~~she likes you too. But Sid V.is her favorite. LOL He's a nice guy. LOL

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 11:27 PM
First of all, we don't even have a dog and I hate corned beef hash! And you can ask him about the ham dinner I made Sunday night and see how bad it was! You can also ask him about my deviled eggs and see how bad a cook I really am. I don't make coffee in the microwave either, he does! Besides, what's the point of cooking when hubby works nights and is not home? If he hates my cooking so much, then why does he beg me to make homemade manicotti every holiday??? I am no Suzie Homemaker, but I could be worse, I could be ugly too! LOL

The Wife~~Also known as Chef Julia Child

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 11:32 PM
Heide,
Your a great cook and I appreciate everything that you do. Your devil'd eggs are to die for and the Manacotti is fantastic. Your not only a great cook but a great wife too.
The Hubby

Chris Cass
03-04-2002, 11:34 PM
Hi Stickman,
Great minds think alike. LOL

JimS
03-04-2002, 11:38 PM
In reference to Kato I made the remark "alligator mouth and hummingbird ass". Perhaps I should have reserved this comment for CC!! It appears he's stepped in a pile of "it" that's deeper than he can dig out of. When will he learn? When? OH WHEN?

With sympathy, JimS.~dats what happuns when ya marry a gal what can read!

CarolNYC
03-05-2002, 01:21 AM
Showing respect for a player is the key, but when it comes to shooting, whether tournament or for money, oppoment or anyone near you should keep there mouths shut-its sharking technique if you ask me, I'd back off and wait till there finished or just tell them 'Please be quiet and drill their ###! ha ha ha
Carol

Kato
03-05-2002, 08:39 AM
Jeez Jim, I figured with your home table advantage, a little slight of hand, some darn tooting underhanded sliminess, and Voodoo Daddy scaring the living tarnation out of those two we could take 'em for all the pennies in their ashtrays. Plus, you were raving about the H.H. aiming system. Maybe a bad call on my part. Ok, challenge retracted due to the air suddenly coming out of my bubble and a lack of a partner.

Kato~~~Can't use R.J. as my screen name 'cause it's got "dots" in it. Don't blame me, blame my folks.

Chris Cass
03-05-2002, 09:20 AM
Hi Carol,
You've not only have style but you got a lot of class. That shows integrity. Your professional ethics are something, everyone can admire.
C.C.~~very impressive....

Chris Cass
03-05-2002, 09:25 AM
Look Newbie,
No wait I'm a Newbie too. LOL Horray, I'm not a stranger anymore.......
If Jim dumps ya I'll partner up with ya. It'll be Me, Rich and you against Jim....LOL Will need some weight though. Jims game is on fire lately.
LOL, C.C.

Kato
03-05-2002, 09:48 AM
Hey Chris, the wife posted. Cool. Well Heidi (hope I didn't misssssspell), I'm sure the drop dead gorgeous thing is accurate (He hasn't lied yet), and after seeing his pic I'd figure maybe you need to update those contact prescriptions:) Have to get up there for dinner though someday (and I assure you at 5 degree's today ain't the day). Hang in there KarateMom, you're doin' good by the old man (that would be Chris).

Kato~~~scoring points, making games, gettin' craaaaaazy.

CarolNYC
03-10-2002, 06:34 AM
Hello there CC, my jumping mentor,
Your the one with the class,my man,and will always honor you for your expertise! Waiying nxiously to meet!
love,
Carol