PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Position

03-01-2002, 09:12 AM
Hey all,
Would you mind describing your wrist position during your stroke.
Is the back of your hand straight with your forearm, or does the back of your hand protrude past the horizontal plane of the forearm.
I taped myself yesterday and was not happy with my wrist position.
Thanks,

03-01-2002, 02:53 PM
I keep my wrist as relaxed as possible during the stroke. It hangs almost straight from my forearm, but does protrude very slighty towards the back of my hand. That isn't because I am putting it in that position. That is because the natural position of a relaxed wrist and hand is to be angled very slightly towards the back of the hand. You can see that in many wrist braces, as they usually hold the hand in that position, instead of holding the hand exactly straight with the forearm.

One of the people that coaches me described it this way: (I'm paraphrasing here). Just relax the wrist and hand, and let it hang. Swing your forearm, without involving your wrist and hand muscles. It's like a golf swing. Let the big muscles do the work. If you are angling your hand someway, then you are introducing tension.

Rod
03-01-2002, 03:35 PM
That's near perfect Mike, and I wouldn't change anythng.
You have a smart coach also. You can't go wrong with
advice like that.
Its as if someone looked over my shoulder and copied
my notes.

03-01-2002, 03:50 PM
Heh heh. Yeah, I'm fortunate to have a couple of great coaches. The one that teaches me technique used to be a pro Snooker player, and now he's a pro Pool player. He's won some major tournaments. The one that teaches me how to play Pool (totally different from learning how to shoot the balls) is a pro player who was once world champion.

If I could just get this little nagging thing called a "job" out of the way, I'd probably play pretty good! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

03-01-2002, 07:42 PM
Scott, this is a very interesting thread - as I've been working on this aspect of my game as well. As has been explained to me by those that know, the most critical factor is to ensure that the wrist remains in the SAME position (in relation to the forearm) throughout the entire stroke and not change - which would result in twisting of the cue during the stroke and inconsistent results.

If you analyze the 2 top women players, you'll see that although quite similar in many regards, their wrist/hand positions are different at address and throughout the stroke. Karen Corr keeps her wrist and back of her hand squared with her forearm throughout the stroke. This places the butt of the cue a little closer to her right hip than her forearm - a little inside the vertical line extending down from her forearm.

By contrast, Allison (also trained in proper snooker fundamentals from a young age) has her wrist and the back of her hand in a bit more of an open cupped position (in relation to her forearm). This places the butt of her cue directly under the perfect vertical line made up of her shoulder, elbow, forearm and wrist. In both cases, the wrist/back of hand remains in that position throughout the entire stroke - which is one factor IMO that leads to the very high degree of shotmaking consistency in both those women - as compared to the rest of us. - Chris in NC

03-01-2002, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mike:</font><hr> now he's a pro Pool player. The one that teaches me how to play Pool is a pro player who was once world champion.
/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Hi MIke, I'm just curious, who are they?
Thank's

03-02-2002, 02:15 AM
What I was trying to feel with my back hand was to grip (lightly) the cue with mostly the thumb, index, and middle finger, while the ring and pinky finger were "along for the ride".
After viewing the tape I noticed my outside part of my palm was away from the cue, I also noticed that there were times when I would grip the cue (mid stroke) with the ring and pinky finger, causing the outside part of my hand to come back in contact with the cue, throwing the aim line off and causing a miscue (ie, not hitting the CB where initially aimed). No wonder I felt like I wasn't pocketing balls like I should.
Today I practiced rapping my pinky and ring finger around the cue to bring the outside of my palm back in. I still was hoding the cue mostly with the other three fingers, so the ring and pinky were still just along for the ride. It definately made a world of difference.

03-02-2002, 02:20 AM
I have the problem of my wrist curling inward toward my body. That is what feels natural to me. I have been told that I am very consistent with though. That my wrist stays the same through my foll thru.

Shawn

03-02-2002, 10:21 AM
Shawn, if you are curling your wrist inwards that's still OK as long as you're consistent. There are always exceptions of great players that twist the cue on the stroke and still get the results. Earl Strickland has a very noticeable twisting of the wrist during his stroke and does just fine with it! - Chris in NC