PDA

View Full Version : Slow play nightmare

09-10-2002, 12:31 PM
I just spoke with a friend who was playing in the Canadian 9 Ball championships recently and he described a match that I found almost ridiculous and I thought I'd post it here and get some feedback. The A-side match was a race to 11 between Paul Potier and Cliff Thorburn and both players must have considered it a life-or-death situation as it lasted an epic 4 1/2 hours. The words SHOT CLOCK immediately sprang into my mind, but then it got me thinking about how long two skilled players could realistically draw out a match with one of them losing his mind. So this leads me to my question which is, what is the longest you've ever seen a reasonable length race take?(not including one-hole, which could take forever.)

T.C.

Jay M
09-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Holly and I waited for over 5 hours at the Spirit tour scotch doubles tourney for a match to end so that we could play the winner of their NEXT match. The players were on the clock after 2 hours, they just couldn't make a ball or get a shot. It was ugly.

Jay M

09-10-2002, 12:51 PM
I understand when the players are not very good, but this match was between the former World snooker champion and a pro 9 ball player. I can't fathom that two players of their skill level could drag 21 games(max) into 4 1/2 hours.

9 Ball Girl
09-10-2002, 12:52 PM
I was in an 8 ball playoff. First round is a race to four. My opponent and I started at 7:30 PM and were done by 9:45 PM! Whenever someone walked by the table, if he saw someone coming in our direction from about 2 tables length he would get up and wait as to not get distracted. He would chalk his cue, bang the chalk 2x on the table, look at his shot, chalk his cue again, bang again, get down into his stance, check his stance, get up again, get down and check his stance, take about 12 strokes, get up and get down, check his cue to see where he was gripping it, and check his stance, stroke another 12 strokes and then shoot. It was a miracle I won the match as I was shooting faster than I normally would I guess to make up for "lost" time. (I know that's a bad thing to do). Whew!

SpiderMan
09-10-2002, 01:25 PM
In the semifinals of the TX state 8-ball (APA) singles, I played a guy who took about 3 minutes per shot. Also, he laid his cue on the table and went to the john TWICE in a race to 5. At the player's meeting, everyone was told to go to the john before starting their matches. The TD came over and chewed us both out for dragging the match. I was flabberghasted.

SpiderMan

Rod
09-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Spidey, what you needed was a cattle prod!

Rod
09-10-2002, 01:40 PM
2 guys that played in my scotch doubles tournament routinely took an hour and a half in a race to 7. I always started them first.

My personal worst experience was playing a guy that never made more than 2 balls then played a safe. It was a race to nine that lasted over 1 1/2 hours. Grass grows faster!

At 4 plus hours, well I wouldn't be there after the first hour. It would be time to mow the lawn again!

09-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Hi Cueball,I was at the Canadian Championships this year, the first match I watched was a race to 9 ( womens A side ) and it took 3 hours. I thought their should have been a shot clock because some of the play was just ridiculously slow. I watched a younger player playing one of the two ladies mentioned above, the younger player looked like she was nodding off while her opponet was shooting. All in all their was some really good 9 ball. Terry

Ken
09-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Charlie Wiliams lost a race to nine at the Tourning Stone tournament against Ginky that took 2 1/4 hours. I walked out in disgust. The Little Dictator played 3 or 4 more matches that day and came out winner from the loser's side. If I never see him play again it will be too soon.
KenCT

Kato
09-10-2002, 01:55 PM
I have to laugh about this. I have a couple of friends that play a fairly "methodical" pace. Both shoot well, both very attentative to detail on the table. Well, these 2 gentlemen took 20-25 minutes to sink the 7 ball!!!!!!!!

Kato

Vagabond
09-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Ho--w--dy fo-----lks,
One match that stayed in my memory was a match of 9 ball in pro tour stop in Orlando,FL(1994?) between Jimmy wetch and Steve Mizerack.Race to 13 and it took four and half hours. BTW Dick Lane,a Texan,prolonged every match he played in the pro tour.
Ken,u are not the only one who always talk about Charlie`s slow play.Because of this I developed an aversion to his game and----. cheers
vagabond

SPetty
09-10-2002, 06:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr> Ho--w--dy fo-----lks,<hr></blockquote>Hi Vagabond,

Thanks for the reminder. I, too, am really looking forward to the State Fair of Texas coming up in early October!

SPetty~~~for those uninitiated, the state fair has Big Tex, a huge animated fellow that starts all his conversation in a big deep voice, saying, well, what Vagabond said...

Big Tex turns 50 this year. He wears a 75 gallon gat, blue jeans with a 283-inch waist and 200-inch inseam, and a red, white and blue canvas shirt crisply covering a bulging 30-foot chest.

Vagabond
09-10-2002, 10:52 PM
Where in Texas u are from,if I may ask u?Cheers
Vagabond

SPetty
09-11-2002, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr> Where in Texas u are from,if I may ask u?<hr></blockquote>Vagabond, darlin', you may ask me anything... I live in the greater DFW area.

09-11-2002, 11:58 AM
At the last Derby City classic I watched a match between Archer and ?. I could not fathom why Archer played so slow. It was pathetic. Everyone in the audience was groaning with frustration. I can only imagine that it was a tactic that Archer incorporated to throw his opponent off? Who knows, maybe Archer knew that this guy played worse when his rythm was thrown off? I still feel that this type of gamesmanship should not be allowed.

Regards,

Doug

Vagabond
09-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Howdy Petty,
Thanks for the response.I travelled thru Texas many times.From sep 1985 to sep 1986 I lived in Big Springs.Very big gambling( dice rolling,wife swapping,cock fights,Bar Table 9 Ball) town, then.Cheers
Vagabond

Ken
09-11-2002, 05:09 PM
I watched Archer play the Little Dictator (for a few minutes). The TD walked by and asked me "did they go into slow motion?" I said "it's Charlie Williams". Of course Archer is no prize either. He lines up each shot by placing his tip next to the contact point just like a beginner.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-12-2002, 05:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Salamander:</font><hr> At the last Derby City classic I watched a match between Archer and ?. I could not fathom why Archer played so slow. It was pathetic. Everyone in the audience was groaning with frustration. I can only imagine that it was a tactic that Archer incorporated to throw his opponent off? Who knows, maybe Archer knew that this guy played worse when his rythm was thrown off? I still feel that this type of gamesmanship should not be allowed.

Regards,

Doug <hr></blockquote>

I don't think it's an act. I have some Accu-stats tapes of the 8-ball Invitational in LA and Archer's match is almost unwatchable. Almost 2 hours for a race to 8. The other matches are about an hour. Archer's up and down on one shot at least 5 times./ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif