PDA

View Full Version : Pool Hall Junkies

9 Ball Girl
09-10-2002, 02:15 PM
The movie Pool Hall Junkies has been pushed back yet again to early 2003. I think January or February.

Wendy~~just a little FYI

09-10-2002, 02:33 PM
They keep pushing it back because all the people in the "State of Pool" thread are against the things that the movie is going to glorify! /webbbs/images/icons/laugh.gif

Ok, Ok, I couldn't resist that one /webbbs/images/icons/wink.gif

Kato
09-10-2002, 02:54 PM
By the time the movie comes out I will be the star in Pool Hall Junkies II. There is a decent chance the sequel will be released before the original. In the climax of the movie will be me running 9 racks in a row on Chris Cass for a steak sub and a magic 8-ball.LOl

Kato

09-10-2002, 03:03 PM

9 Ball Girl
09-10-2002, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr>In the climax of the movie will be me running 9 racks in a row on Chris Cass for a steak sub and a magic 8-ball.LOl Kato <hr></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif And waiting off to the side will be Christ waiting to give you the 5 and out! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

09-10-2002, 03:58 PM
I'm in Phoenix. The problem here is that they have a statewide rating system that has pretty much ruined pool for the better players. I have ties here that keep me from leaving, so I've become a golf junkie since the golf scene here is much better than the pool scene! /webbbs/images/icons/smile.gif

SpiderMan
09-10-2002, 04:18 PM
An outsider's observations on the AZ ratings system:

If you are 8 or below, there are a lot of "and under" cash tourneys for you to pick from on a weekly basis, particularly in the Phoenix area. For 9, 10, or 10-minus players, you have less to chose from but still probably one or two opens advertised at any given time.

But if you're a 9 or 10 that isn't ready to mix it up with others his own speed, then you may be out of luck. You have to stay in stroke and play up to your rating if you want to win. There's not much action for a 9 who wants to coast along and beat up on the 6s and 7s.

Also, if you're rated it will be harder to cheat when matching up individually. First question anyone asks is your rating, and if you're two up on the guy he's not going to play you even.

Where do you fit in? Since you spoke as if you were one of the better players in the area, I assume you are somewhere around a 10.

SpiderMan

09-10-2002, 04:36 PM
10-1

Rod
09-10-2002, 04:55 PM
HA HA HA yep they sure are Joe. When they finish "cleaning it up" it might be a 5 minute trailer. With crowds of people I imagine, only wanting to see the good parts. Ah yes real pool. LOL

Rod
09-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Spidey, rating systems bother me somewhat, but what really bothers me is practicing to stay in stroke for the few tournaments. Yes there is a little more now but if I'm not mistaken most of it is bar boxes. There is a couple of week night tourneys on 9 footers if you like staying up late.

More than I care to go in to but for 8's and under they don't have a problem. If they did, and some do, they ought to be shot on sight. I understand where Joe, I like that name, how creative/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif is comming from. Since you were here the room Pooch's has changed owners. My last stop there was Kair E Oak EEE on a saturday night. I didn't stay and sing along.

AzHousePro
09-10-2002, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Since you were here the room Pooch's has changed owners. My last stop there was Kair E Oak EEE on a saturday night. I didn't stay and sing along. <hr></blockquote>

It is ran by the old owners again. (Skip and Jan)

No more tourneys there anymore.

Mike

09-10-2002, 08:08 PM
Hey guys-
I was talking to someone over the weekend about this movie. Seemed to know what he was talking about on a wide variety of issues (In other words, he had accurate info that only a few people know exists, for those of you who like to challenge such statements). Pool Hall Junkies came up as a topic of conversation, and he told me that the real problem is that theatre owners are dragging thier feet about booking the movie. Apparently, they feel that it will draw only a limited crowd due to its subject matter, and are therefore opting for films with a broader base of appeal. This seems reasonable to me, though you would think that the Color of Money would have shattered that myth. Then again, Tom Cruise was about as hot as they came back then, and I hear that PHJ is no COM. My guess? After a protracted battle to distribute, PHJ goes straight to video. It's not the subject matter folks. Think about it, what was the Color of Money all about? It's about the money. Always will be.

SpiderMan
09-11-2002, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Joe Bloe:</font><hr> 10-1 <hr></blockquote>

So that means you can only play in the "open" tourneys, I guess. You and Rod are sort of in the same boat. I agree that you would have more fun in a place like Dallas, where all tournaments, handicapped or not, are basically "open". I'm only a 7 in the AZ system so there are plenty of places for me to play. It definitely favors the recreational player.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
09-11-2002, 09:50 AM
Is there still a link on AZBilliards.com to the AZ player ratings? I can't seem to find it anymore.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
09-11-2002, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Spidey, rating systems bother me somewhat, but what really bothers me is practicing to stay in stroke for the few tournaments. Yes there is a little more now but if I'm not mistaken most of it is bar boxes. There is a couple of week night tourneys on 9 footers if you like staying up late.<hr></blockquote>

I think you should be playing in those. You're at home on the nines, and for the time being are free to stay up late. I used to avoid nines like the plague, because we played league on eights and I didn't want to screw up my practice, but since I've started playing Fargo and straight pool I've had a change of heart. 149 is still my best, though, I seem to have a mental block about cracking 150. I'll be averaging 16 or 17 an inning, then I'll start thinking about a 150 and I'll rattle a ball going for a breakout.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr>
More than I care to go in to but for 8's and under they don't have a problem. If they did, and some do, they ought to be shot on sight. I understand where Joe, I like that name, how creative/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif is comming from. Since you were here the room Pooch's has changed owners. My last stop there was Kair E Oak EEE on a saturday night. I didn't stay and sing along. <hr></blockquote>

Was Pooch's the place where we played Scotch 9-ball after lunch on Friday? Sorry about losing you all those fives. One of the venues where my APA league plays on Tuesday nites has (bad) karaoke the same night. To make it worse, one of my teammates likes it, and even worse he thinks he can sing.

SpiderMan

09-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Within one week of Skip and Jan taking over, all the new centenial (sp) balls that Tom had bought were mixed with the balls from the bar tables, including the cue-balls being all mixed up! /webbbs/images/icons/laugh.gif I like the non-smoking rule though. I hope it goes statewide soon.

Rod
09-11-2002, 10:50 AM
After lunch we went to Alexander's which was in north Phoenix. Pooch's is south in Tempe about a mile off the freeway. The large room where you won the tournament. As Mike said it went back to the original owners. After the city passed the no smoking law his business went down big time. I'm just trying to even imagine listening to karaoke while playing pool, I can't imagine that.

I have thought about playing in the weekly but that is all it has been so far, a thought. lately I have given more thought to playing golf on the 12 footers. I really like that game, maybe more that any other game. Problem is it could get expensive untill I learn how the table rolls/plays. Just a thought but if you can play well on the BIG table it makes the other tables play like bar boxes.

Rod
09-11-2002, 11:11 AM
I am a smoker, but they need to make it a state wide law to be fair to all business. Tom gets the short end because people will go to other places where they can smoke. I think an outside patio was under way if the city approved it. What a bunch of crap a smoker couldn't even go outside it had to be in a designated area to my knowledge. I don't have a problem with the no smoking law, heck I need to quit anyway. It just needs to be state wide to be fair.
Yes that sounds typical, it figures the balls would get mixed up. The reasoning probably was they said hey the balls roll on the 7 footers just like on a 9 footer! HA They don't get it.

09-11-2002, 11:32 AM
I don't mind people smoking, but the truth is that second hand smoke is just as deadly (if not more because it isn't filtered) as smoking the cigarette directly. I don't smoke, so I don't want to inhale someone else's smoke (not to mention that your clothes reek of smoke after leaving the pool room). And you're right, one of the reasons it should be statewide is to be fair to all businesses. The same thing happened in California before they went statewide. Some businesses got the short end of the stick because they were located in the wrong city.

09-11-2002, 11:35 AM
You like the name? /webbbs/images/icons/wink.gif I was thinking "Joe Mama", but I figured that was probably offensive and would get me off on the wrong foot just about every time I posted.

AzHousePro
09-11-2002, 06:43 PM
I don't have a current one on the site. I tried to move away from as much of the local Az content as possible when we did the new site design. There is only so much content I can keep up with and the local content was not that popular to the national crowd.

Check out azpool.com. He is supposed to be putting it up there soon.

Mike