PDA

View Full Version : MiamiDade Republican Mayor OverwhelminglyRecalled

Gayle in MD
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/15/carlos-alvarez-recall-vote_n_835892.html

MIAMI Mayor Carlos Alvarez was ousted Tuesday by voters angry over a property tax rate increase and salary raise for county employees in a county struggling to recover from the recession.

With 100 percent of precinct votes counted, 88 percent voted to oust the mayor, making Miami-Dade the most populous area, with more than 2.5 million people, ever to recall a local official. Just 12 percent of the 204,500 who cast ballots were in favor of allowing Alvarez to finish his second term, which ends in 2012.

llotter
03-16-2011, 12:52 PM
A Republican that acts like a Democrat, raising taxes and salaries, deserves to get the boot. We call the RINOs

LWW
03-17-2011, 02:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Republican that acts like a Democrat, raising taxes and salaries, deserves to get the boot. We call the RINOs </div></div>

Yep, there's a message in there for RINO's.

OTOH, if the mayor had worn the golden (D) on the ballot Gee would be championing his treachery ... and if subject to the same recall, lamenting his martyrdom.

eg8r
03-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Good or bad, the system is allowing the votes to do their job.

eg8r

Sev
03-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Shes a little slow out of the shoot in this one. Old news.

Soflasnapper
03-17-2011, 02:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/15/carlos-alvarez-recall-vote_n_835892.html

MIAMI Mayor Carlos Alvarez was ousted Tuesday by voters angry over a property tax rate increase and salary raise for county employees in a county struggling to recover from the recession.

With 100 percent of precinct votes counted, 88 percent voted to oust the mayor, making Miami-Dade the most populous area, with more than 2.5 million people, ever to recall a local official. Just 12 percent of the 204,500 who cast ballots were in favor of allowing Alvarez to finish his second term, which ends in 2012.
</div></div>

Disregarding the particulars of this case, perhaps it shows the country is increasingly ungovernable.

Many of the steps either side might think necessary in such grave economic circumstances are going to be unpopular.

If children could vote on their meals, it might be dessert first, no vegetables, and the rest fast food. The voters are similarly uneducated as to their best interests, and what is actually necessary, given a fairly unprecedented bad situation.

So, if whenever anyone sticks their neck out to do the correct, but unpopular thing, they'll be thrown out and have the correct, unpopular policy repealed?

Again, don't concentrate on this guy. Think Scott Walker, if you think he did the right and necessary thing. The people are going to throw him out (possibly), and then reverse what he did (probably, if the first part happens). Which is good, IMO, considering I think his plan was not correct nor necessary. But still...

pooltchr
03-17-2011, 02:54 PM
I do agree with you that the steps that are necessary to deal with our economic problems are not going to be popular with the public. Cutting spending, cutting services, trying to make things more managable is not going to be easy. If we give in to mob rule, than we have put the inmates in charge of the asylum!

Yes, we are going to have to learn to do with less. People are already doing that, and it's time our governments started doing the same. If you were cutting your household budget and decided that movie rentals had to stop, if you have 3 or more kids, you might get a lot of negative backlash! But parents often understand that fiscal responsibility is more important than making the kids happy.
Politicians need to start doing what is right, and quit playing the political game of buying votes with taxpayer money.

Steve

Gayle in MD
03-17-2011, 02:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/15/carlos-alvarez-recall-vote_n_835892.html

</div></div>

Disregarding the particulars of this case, perhaps it shows the country is increasingly ungovernable.

Many of the steps either side might think necessary in such grave economic circumstances are going to be unpopular.

If children could vote on their meals, it might be dessert first, no vegetables, and the rest fast food. The voters are similarly uneducated as to their best interests, and what is actually necessary, given a fairly unprecedented bad situation.

So, if whenever anyone sticks their neck out to do the correct, but unpopular thing, they'll be thrown out and have the correct, unpopular policy repealed?

Again, don't concentrate on this guy. Think Scott Walker, if you think he did the right and necessary thing. The people are going to throw him out (possibly), and then reverse what he did (probably, if the first part happens). Which is good, IMO, considering I think his plan was not correct nor necessary. But still... </div></div>

<span style="color: #990000">I agree with everything you have written. I also believe that Walker will be recalled.

Ungovernable? I think it's all part of "The Shock Doctrine." don't know if you've seen it, and if not, I hope you get the chance. I'd love to hear your opinion, on the subject.

AND, I must admit, I do celebrate any Republican, being recalled, and put out of office. The Republican Party, does not represent my values, at all.

But, you're right, Walker, and I believe, possibly, Governors of Maine and Ohio, (I think a few more are involved in this attack on the Unions, so far, and probably more to come, going forward, if they can get away with it) I hope they're all recalled.

G.</span>

pooltchr
03-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Are you including the governor of New York in that list?

Steve

LWW
03-18-2011, 03:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If children could vote on their meals, it might be dessert first, no vegetables, and the rest fast food. The voters are similarly uneducated as to their best interests, and what is actually necessary, given a fairly unprecedented bad situation.</div></div>

I hereby nominate this as elitist arrogant post of the year.

pooltchr
03-18-2011, 06:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If children could vote on their meals, it might be dessert first, no vegetables, and the rest fast food. The voters are similarly uneducated as to their best interests, and what is actually necessary, given a fairly unprecedented bad situation.</div></div>

I hereby nominate this as elitist arrogant post of the year. </div></div>

Hate to say it, L, but he is correct. The vast majority of Americans are quite uneducated (undereducated if they are a product of government schools) and do not understand even the basic concepts of government, economics, or global affairs.
I offer in evidence the fact that Obama won the election in 2008.

Steve

Qtec
03-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Where is your outrage? America is a Republic, not a Democracy!

Q

bobroberts
03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Again Gayle doesn't have her facts straight. he was recalled because he wasn't acting like a republican but a democrat.
Gayle i laugh at every post you ever write. You are so in the tank with blindfolds on. Walker wont be recalled. When his state starts to make it debt he will be re-elected by 65% of the vote, just like the Gov. from Indiana.

wolfdancer
03-18-2011, 06:08 PM
sounds like they was "sweeping out the trash"
Only 12% of the populace voted to allow him to finish his term?....
that's just slightly higher then those that were voting for a continuation of Bush's policies in the last election....

Soflasnapper
03-21-2011, 04:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If children could vote on their meals, it might be dessert first, no vegetables, and the rest fast food. The voters are similarly uneducated as to their best interests, and what is actually necessary, given a fairly unprecedented bad situation.</div></div>

I hereby nominate this as elitist arrogant post of the year. </div></div>

Hate to say it, L, but he is correct. The vast majority of Americans are quite uneducated (undereducated if they are a product of government schools) and do not understand even the basic concepts of government, economics, or global affairs.
I offer in evidence the fact that Obama won the election in 2008.

Steve </div></div>

Quite right. Everyone here can point to the side opposite his/her own, and provide examples of how wrong a take people have on things.

America is not properly educated, and at the same time, it is heavily propagandized. This is a recipe to lose control of the country to miscreants and hoaxters and charlatans, and I challenge anyone to say they can't see we are well down that path.

Just as a reflexive riposte, you say O's election proves the point, so I'll say W's 2 alleged electoral victories prove the same thing. Unless we're BOTH wrong (instead of just one of us), this point is already well proven.

pooltchr
03-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm all for giving a test to voters prior to giving them a voter registration card, just to make sure they have at least a basic understanding of how our government operates.

But it won't happen. We are trying to get a bill passed in NC that would require voters to show ID when they go to vote, and the Dems and minority leaders are fighting it tooth and nail. Now, why would anyone have a problem showing an ID before they vote, unless they possibly aren't who they are, or have something (illegal residency?) to hide?

Steve

Soflasnapper
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Here in Florida we get voter id cards, and that is supposed to be sufficient to show to vote. However, they don't ask for the voter registration card, and instead ask for DLs, at least in my limited experience of voting in Palm Beach County and Broward County the last 27 years.

If you've never had a car, likely you never got a DL. That would mainly be poor people (except for people in cities with excellent public transportation like NYC, DC, Chicago, etc.).

pooltchr
03-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Since some form of photo ID is required for many day to day transactions like cashing a check, or applying for a job, North Carolina will issue a state ID, which is a drivers license without the driving privelages. Any legal citizen should have no problem getting one.

Steve

LWW
03-22-2011, 02:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since some form of photo ID is required for many day to day transactions like cashing a check, or applying for a job, North Carolina will issue a state ID, which is a drivers license without the driving privelages. Any legal citizen should have no problem getting one.

Steve </div></div>

Ohio does the same thing.

Gayle in MD
03-22-2011, 10:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Florida we get voter id cards, and that is supposed to be sufficient to show to vote. However, they don't ask for the voter registration card, and instead ask for DLs, at least in my limited experience of voting in Palm Beach County and Broward County the last 27 years.

If you've never had a car, likely you never got a DL. That would mainly be poor people (except for people in cities with excellent public transportation like NYC, DC, Chicago, etc.). </div></div>

It's just another Republican tactic to make it harder for Democratic voters, to vote.

One would think, after the blatant, PROVEN, underhanded actions, taken by Republicans, the right wouldn't even want to touch this subject.

We've all watched their continued efforts, to disenfranchise Democratic voters, in order to accomplish their goal of a one party system, for well over a decade, annd in fact, going all the way back to Nixon and Reagan.

There are too many examples, to deny.

Blocking the votes of minorities, ala Katherine Harris's "Purging Program" in Florida?

Baker, flying in Republican AIDES, identified in video's as Republican operatives, to Ft. Lauderdale, to create turmoil during the recount?

The Republican operative, who wrote a book, after he got out of jail for jamming the Democratic phone lines in Ohio? A book titled, "How To Throw An Election"....

The RW activist, Supreme Court, throwing out the Florida Supreme Court's decision, to count votes, and stating that it would not be used as settled law, in future elections, just a one time tactic. Result, Bush is installed by his Da Da's friends, after losing the popular vote!

Acorn?
NPR? Both groups victims of edited taping, by a sleezy, law breaking scumball, and both underhanded Republican efforts, to destroy what they consider left leaning organizations, even though NPR practices the Fairness Doctrine.

The attack on the Unions, and American Worker's civil rights, for political purposes, and under false pretences?

Hence, we now have a grass roots effort to expose, and recall, these unAmerican Activities, by the Republican's stealth operatives, to slant the playing field, to their advantage.

People with any brains, can see through these sorts of sleazy, underhanded, cheap, political tricks.

G.