PDA

View Full Version : dumb pool vs. smart pool

09-11-2002, 08:16 AM
i would like to hear about this.when a apa 6 0r 7 gets matched against a two, strategies to keep that 2 from winning 2 games and the reverse.if the 2 is matched against a much better player,strategies to beat a much better player, assuming a pretty good two.

bw

bluewolf
09-11-2002, 08:20 AM
this was really me. i forgot to sign in.

bw

09-11-2002, 08:30 AM

Kato
09-11-2002, 08:43 AM
When I played APA I was matched against enough 2's or 3's so this is what I did different......................NOTHING. I just believed I could get there before you could. Sometimes I was wrong, sometimes I was right. I always just played my best pool. As a 2 you realize you only have to win 2 games. This can sometimes be helped by the 6 or 7 because they know if they screw up (ie, scratch on the 8 or wrong pocket) then they have to win 4 or 5 games to your 1. That's alot of pressure. Whitewolf makes a good point that tells you to frustrate the higher ranked player. Push balls around your pockets, stay within yourself. Always try to leave the good player long with tough angles or tough positions. Higher level players don't usually play long inning games, maybe forcing that person to will frustrate them into making mistakes they wouldn't normally make. Of course, watch out, a high level player might see that he/she can't run out and lock you down in safety world, put you in Alcatraz, force you to kick and then run out on you.

Kato~~~~~~huh?

John in NH
09-11-2002, 08:45 AM
Hi Bluewolf,

In 9-ball a two handicap should look for combinations into the 9 which will turn the tables on the 7 handicap and destroy their confidence. If a 7 can avoid setting up the combination into the 9 they should win the majority of the matches agains the 2.

Regards,

John

ChrisW
09-11-2002, 08:45 AM
IMO, a 6 or 7 shouldn't vary to much from their style of
play no matter who they play. But maybe take some more two-way
shots than normal so if you make a tougher shot you may
intimidate your opponent into thinking they can not win
and if you miss then you have left them tough.

For a low rated player, nothing with fustrate a 6 or 7
more than someone banging balls all over the table and
changing the whole layout on every shot. So if a 2 or 3
can do this while making it look like an accident they
should have a good chance throwing their opponent game off.

Remember, playing safe can work well for either player.

Chris

ChrisW
09-11-2002, 08:50 AM
I think a 7,8,9 in nine ball have a tougher time beating
a 1 or 2 simply because if they get a lucky roll and the
7,8,9 give ball in hand a 1,2 can get a few balls in that inning which could equal about half their needed score.
Chris

Amanda
09-11-2002, 09:20 AM
As a 7, when I play against a 2 or a 3 I really don't play any different then playing another 7. I've seen some 7's when playing a 2 or 3 end up playing cowboy pool, going for the gusto and trying all the wild stuff. Of course sometimes this backfires with an early eight or scratching on the eight, putting your opponent on the hill.
One thing I was told very early on with playing pool is you are playing the table, not the other person, when you are at the table its you and the table, play it that way. Now granted my saftey game may vary somewhat depending on who I am playing and that is actually a mistake on my part which is something I am working on.
Pool isn't always about the best shot maker, its also about playing smart.

09-11-2002, 09:51 AM

09-11-2002, 01:46 PM
The opinion of "smart pool" vs. "dumb pool", if payed close attention to, goes something like this ... "Whatever I do is smart. Whatever my opponent does is dumb. If I lose, I played the 'smart' shot, but I got a bad roll. Or, in contrast, if they happen to win without me getting a bad roll, it is because they shot a 'DUMB' shot and got sh*t ass lucky! /webbbs/images/icons/laugh.gif"

heater451
09-11-2002, 04:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> i would like to hear about this.when a apa 6 0r 7 gets matched against a two, strategies to keep that 2 from winning 2 games and the reverse.if the 2 is matched against a much better player,strategies to beat a much better player, assuming a pretty good two.

bw<hr></blockquote>After reading whitewolf's reply, I realized that your question didn't specify which game, 8 or 9 ball you wanted strategies for. . . .

I now assume 8, since WW is your mate, and I hazard that you play the same league, but I also saw that the 9-ball players gave 9-related answers.

When it comes to 8, I would say that it's in your best interest to try and keep as many of your balls on the table until you are ready to run out. It's generally easier on a smaller table, but the best situation is if you can actually keep the better player chasing his/her last ball before the eight. Make safe shots that put your balls in easy positions to clear, while making the opponent kick forever (jumping may be an issue. . .).

I have less experience with 9 ball, so I'll leave that alone for now.

======================

bluewolf
09-11-2002, 04:46 PM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. It looks like I may be playing a 7 tomorrow night.Hope not but wanted to go in with some idea of strategy.I heard a couple of 7s say they had been beaten by 2s and that did not make sense to me.But as a 2 thanks for suggestions on how to play it and it will appear that I did the best I could.

bw

Fred Agnir
09-12-2002, 06:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr>
I tend to disagree, at least on the lower levels of pool. Pool is very very much about who you are playing. For example, in our area there are some very talented 7s who try to run out every time. When I play them, I tempt them as much as possible to run out when I know they can't, and have won lots and lots of times doing this.<hr></blockquote>
This may be all well and paved with good intentions, as it might be your best shot. But, most 7's are 7's because they can run out from most anywhere, and can play a complete game. Their safeties and strategies are generally better. Throughout the tramples, we've played against people who keep things clustered or play wide open.

That is to say, I think it's presumptious to assume that an SL-7 would be so easily fooled by such tactics.

Fred

Fred Agnir
09-12-2002, 06:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Amanda:</font><hr> As a 7, when I play against a 2 or a 3 I really don't play any different then playing another 7<hr></blockquote>
I mostly agree with this, especially on short races to 5 during normal league play. As a side note, on longer races you get a better handle of what changes in strategy you might use to your advantage. Hopefully.

Fred

stickman
09-12-2002, 07:19 AM
IMO the 7 will beat the 2 in the majority of matches. For the 2 to win, they will have to play their best game and possibly have a little luck along the way. I don't think most 2's will be able to play strategy against the seven, unless it is done with some coaching. Most 2's will not be such good leave players as to safety the 7 with any great degree of success. Their best hope is to play their best game and hope the 7 makes some mistakes due to their over confidence. A 2 will often frustrate a 7 by moving balls around and tieing balls up while shooting, but this is usually accidental, and not part of any strategy on the 2's part. A good 7 will have the ability to break out tied up balls, while either playing a safety or running out. The two could benefit from the 7's frustration, only if the 7 doesn't deal with it well.

The seven will have to play with the same concentration as they would use playing another seven. Most often, if they play with the same intensity that they would play with, while playing another 7, they will win.

No hard facts here, just my opinion. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif