PDA

View Full Version : Fuku'd

wolfdancer
03-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Nuclear Experts Explain Worst-Case Scenario at Fukushima Power Plant: Scientific American
http://www.scientificamerican.com
Their analysis/conclusions may differ from that of the boards own "nucular" experts...and is just introduced here as an alternate scenario.

pooltchr
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
There is no doubt that this has the potential to be far worse than TMI, and possibly even be the worst nuclear disaster in history.

My personal opinion is that there are risks in every kind of technology. Look at the BP oil spill. We have to weigh the risks against the benefits, and do everything possible to minimize the risks. Our world demands energy, so getting rid of nuclear or even oil are not reasonable solutions.

Hopefully, we can learn from the problems in Japan, and further minimize future risks. Hopefully, the fear mongers will not send the world back to the stone age by bringing our technological progress over the years to a stand still.

We do need to move forward with caution...but we do need to move forward.

Steve

Sev
03-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Thorium Reactors.

Well I see after a week the sock puppet is addressing Japan.

Gayle in MD
03-17-2011, 02:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nuclear Experts Explain Worst-Case Scenario at Fukushima Power Plant: Scientific American
http://www.scientificamerican.com
Their analysis/conclusions may differ from that of the boards own "nucular" experts...and is just introduced here as an alternate scenario. </div></div>

<span style="color: #990000">If a scentist isn't on the RW energy payroll, IOW, in the tradition of Fux Noise, aka Fair and Balanced, LMAO the righties, don't believe anything scientific, anyway. It's against their religion, you know. The earth, is, after all, only five or six thousand years old. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I saw an expert days ago, who said all six, at the Japan facility, were heating up, and all are going to blow. I can't recall his name, but he was considered an Expert, hence, beyond the parameters of the RW party's selective, calculations.

BTW, The New York Times, has a video that shows the path of the Toxic cloud. It's definitely coming our way.</span>

Soflasnapper
03-17-2011, 02:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no doubt that this has the potential to be far worse than TMI, and possibly even be the worst nuclear disaster in history.

My personal opinion is that there are risks in every kind of technology. Look at the BP oil spill. We have to weigh the risks against the benefits, and do everything possible to minimize the risks. Our world demands energy, so getting rid of nuclear or even oil are not reasonable solutions.

Hopefully, we can learn from the problems in Japan, and further minimize future risks. Hopefully, the fear mongers will not send the world back to the stone age by bringing our technological progress over the years to a stand still.

Steve </div></div>

Back when getting more nuclear power plants was more a viable option under consideration, some experts said that there was very little risk from them, IF--- they were built underground, away from population centers, and obviously, far away from earthquake fault lines. Of course, for cost reasons, none of these safety criteria are met. I forget if they wholly discounted the waste storage issue or the decommissioning costs.

These last two are very expensive and worrisome. At the end of the life cycle of a nuclear power plant, the entire plant becomes radioactive waste, and must either be carefully dismantled and then stored, or entombed in situ, in a permanent enough way to last through the several thousand years required for the radioactivity to naturally decay. $1 billion per reactor is not an unreasonable estimated figure for these additional costs and it might be low. That's on top of what is at least this same number to make them.

In our current world of crazed deregulation, it's a question of whether the private sector with their wonderful 'profit' motive, can be trusted to not scrimp on safety measures, to the enormous peril and eventual cost to the entire public.

BP was not trustworthy in this regard, and at nearly every stage, did the unsafe thing in order to save what was really not even that much money, in the greater scheme of things.

Gayle in MD
03-17-2011, 02:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is no doubt that this has the potential to be far worse than TMI, and possibly even be the worst nuclear disaster in history.

Steve </div></div>

Back when getting more nuclear power plants was more a viable option under consideration, some experts said that there was very little risk from them, IF--- they were built underground, away from population centers, and obviously, far away from earthquake fault lines. Of course, for cost reasons, none of these safety criteria are met. I forget if they wholly discounted the waste storage issue or the decommissioning costs.

These last two are very expensive and worrisome. At the end of the life cycle of a nuclear power plant, the entire plant becomes radioactive waste, and must either be carefully dismantled and then stored, or entombed in situ, in a permanent enough way to last through the several thousand years required for the radioactivity to naturally decay. $1 billion per reactor is not an unreasonable estimated figure for these additional costs and it might be low. That's on top of what is at least this same number to make them.

In our current world of crazed deregulation, it's a question of whether the private sector with their wonderful 'profit' motive, can be trusted to not scrimp on safety measures, to the enormous peril and eventual cost to the entire public.

BP was not trustworthy in this regard, and at nearly every stage, did the unsafe thing in order to save what was really not even that much money, in the greater scheme of things.
</div></div>

Excellent Post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In our current world of crazed deregulation, it's a question of whether the private sector with their wonderful 'profit' motive, can be trusted to not scrimp on safety measures, to the enormous peril and eventual cost to the entire public.

</div></div>

<span style="color: #990000"> And IMO, fat chance of that bunch being trustworthy. I'm no spring chick, and I haven't seen it so far in my lifetime. Not to mention, the number of deaths, are never fully calculated. People continue to die, for decades, from these Nuclear Accidents.

I don't trust any, for profit, energy corporations.

Just think what this world will be like if Republicans get their way, and destroy the very agencies, which monitor the polluting corporations which are destroying our air and water, oceans and tributaries, spreading toxins all over the earth.

First on their list, EPA! F&D! They even want to defund the agency responsible for monitoring Nuclear Power Plants.

Unconscionable!</span>

pooltchr
03-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Good girl, Gayle. Never let a good crisis go to waste!

Steve

wolfdancer
03-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Actually, she is a grandmother, and therefore,it is rude to address her as "girl". Wouldn't you take offense at being called "boy"? Why not remove the punk *** salutations from your half *** commentary?

cushioncrawler
03-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Az i understand it, nuclear energy haz no insurance. Koz insurance aint possible. Or, put another way, they karnt afford real insurance. Or, put another way, they kood but the insurance Co's would in reality pay zero -- they would just file for bankruptcy, after the CEO's got comfortable.
U and i are the ones who insure nuclear energy.
The best way to stamp out nuclear energy iz to hav them pay the real cost of insurance.
Nuclear energy iz too costly.
Looz a big chunk of your country for what 50,000 yrs?? Duzzenmadder -- its insured.
mac.

Gayle in MD
03-17-2011, 04:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Az i understand it, nuclear energy haz no insurance. Koz insurance aint possible. Or, put another way, they karnt afford real insurance. Or, put another way, they kood but the insurance Co's would in reality pay zero -- they would just file for bankruptcy, after the CEO's got comfortable.
U and i are the ones who insure nuclear energy.
The best way to stamp out nuclear energy iz to hav them pay the real cost of insurance.
Nuclear energy iz too costly.
Looz a big chunk of your country for what 50,000 yrs?? Duzzenmadder -- its insured.
mac.
</div></div>

Tap, Tap, Tap!

Pure insanity!

wolfdancer
03-17-2011, 04:11 PM
The present sufferings of those exposed near ground zero, and the future cancers of those living further away...can not be calculated in $$ or yen.
Living on the west coast...I wonder what % of the radiation we will get? If I were younger, I would take the $30k loss in home evaluation, and head for the hills...

pooltchr
03-17-2011, 04:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, she is a grandmother, and therefore,it is rude to address her as "girl". Wouldn't you take offense at being called "boy"? Why not remove the punk *** salutations from your half *** commentary? </div></div>

If she ever starts acting like a lady, she might be addressed as one.

Steve

pooltchr
03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Living on the west coast...I wonder what % of the radiation we will get? If I were younger, I would take the $30k loss in home evaluation, and head for the hills... </div></div>

Don't worry, woofie...O)bama said we have nothing to worry about here in the US. And you believe what he tells you, don't you??

Steve

wolfdancer
03-17-2011, 05:01 PM
just because you and a few others on your side, believe she should not join in on "men's conversations" and that if she does, she will be treated accordingly;this is really not an excuse to ignore societal conventions of the past, and personally attack her over her posts.I have to admit ...she is "easy pickings", a grandmother, etc...and I'm sure that you could.... "stare her down", in a personal confrontation.
I also saw no justification for the personal attacks here on my sisters....but then my own mores may have become outdated with the advent of the internet, and the fact that people can post in relative anonymity.....(hide behind their keyboard, so to speak)
Now everybody can pretend to be a "Rambo"

pooltchr
03-17-2011, 05:33 PM
When someone repeatedly uses "STFU" and "POS" type of posting, they can hardly expected to be treated like a "lady".

And, I am still waiting for you to tell me what it is that I supposedly said about your sister.

Steve

wolfdancer
03-17-2011, 05:54 PM
I didn't see Gayle using that "vernacular"; but am not claiming that she hasn't employed it, to suit the occasion.
"When in Rome....."
As the posts in question were deleted, then erased (I'm sure)....I can not prove anything, even had I saved a copy of them. I will however swear on the Bible, or on my Dear Mother's honor, to my claim about them. I don't believe that you were mentioned by name, or inference, in my preceding post?....guilty conscience?
De Nile is a river in Egypt...

Gayle in MD
03-17-2011, 05:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The present sufferings of those exposed near ground zero, and the future cancers of those living further away...can not be calculated in $$ or yen.
Living on the west coast...I wonder what % of the radiation we will get? If I were younger, I would take the $30k loss in home evaluation, and head for the hills... </div></div>

Why not just leave and come here for a few weeks. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

What a great idea!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

You could go back home when the cloud is gone. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Gee, all that looking around in Iraq, and the "Mushroom Clouds" were waiting for us right here, all along.

No wonder Cheney's secret energy meetings, had to be kept secret.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

wolfdancer
03-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the invite....I'll email you, re my current situation.

Sev
03-17-2011, 06:00 PM
The best way to make the world safer and assure the use of renewable resources is to reduce the human population to under 500 million.

Anybody up for it?

wolfdancer
03-17-2011, 06:08 PM
I can think of a dozen or so, I'd like to put out of their misery, were it not in violation of my religious beliefs

Sev
03-17-2011, 06:33 PM
That you think it means you already violated your religious beliefs.

pooltchr
03-17-2011, 06:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't see Gayle using that "vernacular";

De Nile is a river in Egypt... </div></div>

If you haven't seen it, you really do skim over her posts!! She even uses it in thread titles.

Funny how it's so easy for you to find fault with those who disagree with you, and fail to see it in those who see things from your point of view.

But we've gotten used to that, so it's not unexpected.

Steve

wolfdancer
03-17-2011, 07:03 PM
you are correct, even harboring such thought towards my enemies is a sin. However in this case, I think I will be cut some slack!!
Doing some research on this, I found interesting references to our differing religious beliefs
I've decided to not print the text as written; way too controversial,.... but I will read up on the "dual covenant theology" Paul's comments are found in Romans.
Arguing religion is not one of my strong points....I have never read the Bible in it's entirety, and while we had to copy passages from it daily in grade school....I always had to ask "what the " did I just write?

JohnnyD
03-22-2011, 07:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you are correct, even harboring such thought towards my enemies is a sin. However in this case, I think I will be cut some slack!!
Doing some research on this, I found interesting references to our differing religious beliefs
I've decided to not print the text as written; way too controversial,.... but I will read up on the "dual covenant theology" Paul's comments are found in Romans.
Arguing religion is not one of my strong points....I have never read the Bible in it's entirety, and while we had to copy passages from it daily in grade school....I always had to ask "what the " did I just write? </div></div>
EVERYTIME before you SUBMIT a post you should ask yourself "what the " did i just write? YOU embarrass yourself on every post.

LWW
03-22-2011, 03:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't see Gayle using that "vernacular";

De Nile is a river in Egypt... </div></div>

If you haven't seen it, you really do skim over her posts!! She even uses it in thread titles.

Funny how it's so easy for you to find fault with those who disagree with you, and fail to see it in those who see things from your point of view.

But we've gotten used to that, so it's not unexpected.

Steve </div></div>

That is possibly the biggest lie woofie has ever told.

LWW
03-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Don't blame the parrot for the language it learns from it's master.