PDA

View Full Version : Libya Declares Ceasefire AfterU.N.ResolutionPasses

Gayle in MD
03-18-2011, 08:00 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/18/libya-ceasefire-announced_n_837478.html

TRIPOLI, March 18 (Reuters) - Libya declared a ceasefire in the country to protect civilians and comply with a United Nations resolution passed overnight, Libyan Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa said on Friday.

"We decided on an immediate ceasefire and on an immediate stop to all military operations," he told reporters.

"(Libya) takes great interest in protecting civilians," he said, adding that the country would also protect all foreigners and foreign assets in Libya.

(Reporting by Maria Golovnina and Michael Georgy)

The UN. Resolution was backed by U.S., France, and Britian.

Libya has closed it's air space.

pooltchr
03-18-2011, 10:34 AM
And as Hillary stated, "I'll believe it when I see it"

Do you really think that because he says he is calling off his troops, that he is actually calling off his troops?

Hillary isn't so sure.

Steve

LWW
03-19-2011, 01:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And as Hillary stated, "I'll believe it when I see it"

Do you really think that because he says he is calling off his troops, that he is actually calling off his troops?

Hillary isn't so sure.

Steve </div></div>

And if Obama had a set enough to do the same thing, Qadaffyduck would have stopped sooner.

And we all know why he didn't ... Qadaffyduck was a huge financial backer of Wright's church which Obama attended for decades.

pooltchr
03-19-2011, 06:47 AM
Watching the news this morning, it would seem that the "cease fire" isn't happening. Hillary may have called this one right.

Looks like someone, in their never ending quest to rush to judgement on issues about which they are reletively ignorant, may have jumped the gun with this particular thread.

Steve

ugotda7
03-19-2011, 09:02 AM
What....just simply talking didn't change the world - shocking!!!!

pooltchr
03-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Well, you know how effective those UN resolutions can be!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Steve

LWW
03-19-2011, 12:19 PM
So how's that whole ceasefire thingie working out?

pooltchr
03-19-2011, 01:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how's that whole ceasefire thingie working out? </div></div>

About as well as "Hope and Change" did!!!

Steve

Qtec
03-19-2011, 06:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if Obama had a set enough to do the same thing, Qadaffyduck would have stopped sooner.

And we all know why he didn't ... Qadaffyduck was a huge financial backer of Wright's church which Obama attended for decades. </div></div>

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>Oh Boy!</span>

LMAO.

Yes.

You are correct.

Obama is in the pocket of Qadaffyduck because of his links to Rev Wright's church.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>That's why he just hit Libya with 110 cruise missiles.</span>

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Set in stone.

Q.......LOL.....how wrong can someone be?

pooltchr
03-19-2011, 07:25 PM
[quote=Qtec] <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 26pt'>That's why he just hit Libya with 110 cruise missiles.</span>

</div></div>

Wow...I guess that cease fire really didn't work.

I wonder how many innocent lives might have been spared, had we acted just a little bit more quickly and decisively. But I understand, those UN resolutions almost always prove to be effective.

Steve

ugotda7
03-19-2011, 10:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if Obama had a set enough to do the same thing, Qadaffyduck would have stopped sooner.

And we all know why he didn't ... Qadaffyduck was a huge financial backer of Wright's church which Obama attended for decades. </div></div>

LMAO.

Yes.

You are correct.

Obama is in the pocket of Qadaffyduck because of his links to Rev Wright's church.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>That's why he just hit Libya with 110 cruise missiles.</span>

Set in stone.

Q.......LOL.....how wrong can someone be? </div></div>

What is the exit strategy? What is victory?

Do these words look familiar:

The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States.

In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent.

History has shown us time and again, however, that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the Legislative branch.

It is always preferable to have the informed consent of Congress prior to any military action.

LWW
03-20-2011, 03:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugotda7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if Obama had a set enough to do the same thing, Qadaffyduck would have stopped sooner.

LMAO.

Yes.

You are correct.

Set in stone.

Q.......LOL.....how wrong can someone be? </div></div>

What is the exit strategy? What is victory?

Do these words look familiar:

The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States.

In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent.

History has shown us time and again, however, that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the Legislative branch.

It is always preferable to have the informed consent of Congress prior to any military action. </div></div>

Excellent post.

LWW
03-20-2011, 03:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=Qtec] <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 26pt'>That's why he just hit Libya with 110 cruise missiles.</span>

</div></div>

Wow...I guess that cease fire really didn't work.

I wonder how many innocent lives might have been spared, had we acted just a little bit more quickly and decisively. But I understand, those UN resolutions almost always prove to be effective.

Steve </div></div>

What Snoopy ignores is that it seems to be, as I predicted, an attempt to kil Qadaffyduck himself.

Let's not forget that Qadaffyducks's US brother from another mother Farrakhan is apoplectic that the regime not tolerate Qadaffyduck ... realizing that dear leader may mark him next to be purged.

Sev
03-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Just shoot a tactical nuke over Tripoli and its over. Then we can move on.

LWW
03-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Well ... dear leader has been quite specific that there will be no goal of regime change.

That only leaves a few possibilities:

1 - With a wink and a nod, Qaddaffyduck will be allowed to remain in power no matter what he does, he just has to agree to have some of his stuff blown up.

2 - Dear leader will have Qaddaffyduck killed to silence him.

pooltchr
03-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Well, whatever happens, at least one side is prepared to make this a very long war.

Has Obama gotten himself (and us) into something that is not going to end quickly?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/af_libya

Steve

LWW
03-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Where, oh where, are our leftist brethren and sistren, wailing and gnashing their collectivist teeth while they wind their shorts in knots, over how much they despise the POTUS using military power without the authorization of the people, congress, the UN, and without the express written consent of major league baseball?

Why aren't they screaming that dear leader go pack to the UN for another resolution?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

And another?

Why aren't they demanding that sanctions be given a chance?

LWW
03-21-2011, 01:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Snoopy ignores is that it seems to be, as I predicted, an attempt to kil Qadaffyduck himself.

Let's not forget that Qadaffyducks's US brother from another mother Farrakhan is apoplectic that the regime not tolerate Qadaffyduck ... realizing that dear leader may mark him next to be purged. </div></div>

Ahem ... (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/21/us-libya-compound-idUSTRE72K0ET20110321)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(Reuters) - In a rare glimpse into Muammar Gaddafi's secretive power base, Libyan officials took foreign reporters into his heavily fortified compound Monday to show a building they said was destroyed in an allied missile attack.

A short walk from a brightly lit tent where Gaddafi receives his guests, the three-storey building stood in ruin, and a circular hole was visible on its gutted facade.

Reuters reporters in Tripoli had heard an explosion earlier in the night and seen smoke rising from the direction of the Gaddafi's sprawling compound, which houses his private quarters as well as military barracks and other installations.

But there was no smoke was rising from the building they were shown, although rubble and slabs of concrete were scattered around.

Officials said it had been hit by a missile late Sunday and accused Western powers of trying to assassinate Gaddafi. </div></div>

LWW
03-21-2011, 02:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Snoopy ignores is that it seems to be, as I predicted, an attempt to kil Qadaffyduck himself.

Let's not forget that Qadaffyducks's US brother from another mother Farrakhan is apoplectic that the regime not tolerate Qadaffyduck ... realizing that dear leader may mark him next to be purged. </div></div>

Ahem ... (http://www.timesnow.tv/Gaddafi-defends-attack-on-rebels/articleshow/4368205.cms)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trying to strike a personal note, Gaddafi prefaced his letter saying, "To our son, his excellency, Mr Baracka Hussein Obama. I have said to you before, that even if Libya and the United States of America enter into a war, god forbid, you will always remain a son. Your picture will not be changed." </div></div>

LWW
03-21-2011, 04:05 AM

Ahem ... (http://www.hapblog.com/2011/03/who-hell-do-you-think-your-are.html)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I warn my brother do you let these wicked demons move you in a direction that will absolutely ruin your future with your people in Africa and throughout the world...Why don't you organize a group of respected Americans and ask for a meeting with Qaddafi, you can't order him to step down and get out, who the hell do you think you are?"
-Louis Farrakhan-</div></div>