PDA

View Full Version : Earl/Shane match, 70-60

Soflasnapper
03-20-2011, 02:13 AM
The Action Report is running a match to 100 in 10 ball between Earl and Shane, which is being played on a heated (?) 10-foot Brunswick converted snooker table.

Earl's playing strongly, and Shane's been having troubles. (Among Shane's troubles yesterday was Earl's classic Earl behavior.) Earl was ahead 11 after the first day's race to 35; now up 10 after the second day's race to 70. Shane got it going a little better today, but only after Earl had stretched his lead to maybe 16.

Earl's playing with green headphones, his now-typical wrist weights/arm weights, and a 70 inch cue weighing 29 ounces.

The final session Sunday starts about 7:30 pm EDT. The first two nights went quite late (Saturday's session ended about 3 am EDT).

Rich R.
03-20-2011, 03:10 AM
I heard that Earl really went off the deep end in day one. Although Earl is one of the best to ever play the game, it's a shame that he will be remembered for being one of the biggest jerks to every play.

I've been very suprised in this match. I thought Shane would be well ahead by now.

pooltchr
03-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Considering the heckling that has become normal whenever Earl is playing, I think his decision to wear noise blocking headphones is a smart choice. We all know, as does Earl, that it is outside distractions that cause many of his problems. Eliminating some of those distractions seems to be a good idea.

Steve

Soflasnapper
03-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I agree with you, Steve-- smart idea for him.

But it's not just heckling, of course, which he has a right to object to. The guy is JUST a bit overly sensitive to all environmental distractions, including fairly normal ones that he takes as deliberate sharks (when he's not darkly suggesting the promoters of the event have arranged things like the lighting or a hectic schedule of late-day matches on the loser side of the bracket to sabotage him).

On the rare occasions in this match when he hung a ball or something (he's mainly been playing lights out on this table as if he were in excellent stroke on a 9-footer), he's been blaming Shane for sharking him, and then taunting Shane when he hangs a ball or otherwise misses by loudly proclaiming that 'karma' did that, because of an supposed prior shark from Shane.

Shane made a mid-evening march into Earl's lead, I think getting it down to just 5 games, by playing a whole lot more safes and respecting the very tough table instead of just shooting at everything. Earl responded well and pushed it back to the current 10 game margin.

Rich R.
03-20-2011, 08:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering the heckling that has become normal whenever Earl is playing, I think his decision to wear noise blocking headphones is a smart choice. We all know, as does Earl, that it is outside distractions that cause many of his problems. Eliminating some of those distractions seems to be a good idea.

Steve </div></div>
Steve, Earl causes his own problems and he brings on the heckling.
I was told that Earl, on day one, started complaining to the crown almost before play started. I have personally experienced this type of behavior by him at the U.S. Open, when he started abusing my wife and me because, according to Earl, we had the nerve to applaud for Francisco Bustamante during the player introductions. He said we shouldn't applaud for Francisco because he wasn't an American.
Earl has problems, pure and simple.

Honestly, IMHO, Earl does a lot of this stuff to shark his opponents. If you watch closely, he does it most when he is playing tougher opponents or when he gets behind against anyone. Earl was thrown out of the tournament at Valley Forge last week and he should be thown out of a lot more tournament because of his behavior.

pooltchr
03-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Don't get me wrong, Rich. I agree that Earl has brought about a lot ot problems on his own. But you gotta admit that there are a lot of people who know this, and will try to push his buttons knowing how easy it is to get a reaction from him.

I was just saying that the headphones are probably a good idea to avert some potential problems.

Steve

Bambu
03-21-2011, 08:24 AM
I caught some of this match last night, thanks for the details Sofla. But, I fell asleep at the end. Never saw any Earl antics, oh well. I assume Earl won, he had 80 with a 10 game lead. Earl was playing real strong while Shane had troubles. Didnt see Shane close it to 5. Great match, reminded me of the 3 day Earl/reyes match way back.

Too funny about the clapping, Rich! What did he do to get thrown outta VF?

Rich R.
03-21-2011, 12:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too funny about the clapping, Rich! What did he do to get thrown outta VF? </div></div>
I never got into the pro arena at VF this year. I had too much going on outside. However, I was told he pulling his usual antics or as some of us say, it was Earl being Earl and he was warned several times during a few different matches. Finally, the TD tossed him.

Bambu
03-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks Rich. I also wanted to see what he would say to Shane, but I missed it. Shane looks so mild mannered, looks tough to blame him for anything. But, I heard Earl found a way.

pooltchr
03-21-2011, 01:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What did he do to get thrown outta VF? </div></div>

The way I heard it, he had been complaining about the rack not being lined up straight in a previous match, and the official told him to forget about it and play the match.

The next day, he was there for his match and his opponent wasn't. When he went to the official, the official said he would have to call his opponent. Earl questioned why the official would need to call his opponent when it was already well past the scheduled start time for the match. That was when he got tossed.

Steve

Soflasnapper
03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
I think only the sturdiness of construction of that monster cue prevented it from being destroyed on several occasions.

Earl would slam it on the table when he'd miss, and on the floor a time or two. Once he followed up a cue slam in his player seat by throwing off his headphones onto the floor (and the yellow ear plugs went with them), breaking them, and requiring that he go into his bag of tricks (actual tool box?) for the replacement pair.

John Schmidt was in attendance, having ridden his newest Yamaha the hour and a half to Youngstown from his WV pool room, and he helped with the commentary for the rest of the match. Great pool insights, of course, but also some great insider Earl stories. There was a chat feed that could be seen, and some crazy talk from fans about how any of the snooker greats would rob these two guys on this table. Schmidt totally disagreed, saying the skill sets were too different, that in snooker there's a lot of close shape stop shots, and no running around 20 feet to get shape on the next ball.

Some decent interviews with both contestants after the match.

Shane says he doesn't want a rematch on that table, that Earl is better on the table and cannot be beaten on it, by him or anyone else. He allowed that maybe Alex P could be competitive with Earl on it, although he wasn't sure. The commenters noted that Alex's height could be an issue on this table. (Note, Shane and Earl had already done a race to 100 on regulation tables, not sure if it was 9- or 10-ball, and Shane won it by 60 games, iirc.)

Earl was gracious to Shane in victory, saying how much he respects his talent and game and loves him as a person. The handshake at the end turned into an embrace, and I've not seen that ever from Earl with an opponent. (Earl said Shane is the biggest talent to appear in the game since himself, and that it gave him goose pimples thinking about how good Shane is.) He attributed his winning to the overall strategic knowledge and experience edge he gained by playing the many greats he matched up with over the years, and watching how they played him, moved the ball, and the shape they got on balls to move more efficiently. He mentioned playing Mizerak, Reyes, Parica, and maybe some others. He thought Shane's shape wasn't quite good enough given the table, and where Shane would normally just make any ball and get any shape necessary by superior pocketing skills, he shot with a flat ball, center ball stun shots, whereas Earl spun the rock a lot more to get the kind of shape necessary. And he credited being in great condition, all the situps and pushups and running, and said Shane will come to learn the value of being in better condition. (Which wasn't a big advantage for Earl back in the Color of Money match with Efren, considering Efren was smoking back then and probably did nothing physical except play 12 hours a day.)

The commentator (Eric?) had mentioned how Shane had to pound the ball a lot given his use of less spin, and that it was really a problem given the tight 4-1/2 inch corner pocket size and some kind of gaffe with the pocket facing angle.

With regard to being conditioned, they routinely called off the scheduled 15 minute breaks to the surprise of the commentators. I'm not sure if this was a mutual decision of the two players, or if Earl more influenced that decision, but it might have been better for Shane to have taken those breaks.

After the first session which lasted maybe 8 hours (I think-- missed that one and started watching as of the second session), Eric said Shane looked like someone had beaten him up, total physical exhaustion. A combination of fatigue and the difficulty of the table, and the pressure Earl's great play was putting on him, had Shane in a crisis of confidence at times.

There was some issue with the ppv feed for the last session, and TAP decided to go with a free feed open to all. Eric said if people who'd paid for the package or last session wanted a refund to contact him and he'd readily do it.

03-21-2011, 02:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What did he do to get thrown outta VF? </div></div>

The way I heard it, he had been complaining about the rack not being lined up straight in a previous match, and the official told him to forget about it and play the match.

The next day, he was there for his match and his opponent wasn't. When he went to the official, the official said he would have to call his opponent. Earl questioned why the official would need to call his opponent when it was already well past the scheduled start time for the match. That was when he got tossed.

Steve </div></div>

To add, Earl supposedly mistook the TD as saying that he was gonna "call the opponent by phone". In reality, the TD meant that he was gonna call/announce the match and "call" the opponent over the PA system.

TAR 20 was epic. I'm not a big Earl fan, but his bat chit craziness made it well worth the time spent watching. Earl was in full battle regalia too; arm weights that went to his ankle and back on the arm, ear plugs AND ear muffs. You know, the gun range hearing protector type of ear muffs. That, and his 70" cues made it a true side show. Barnum woulda been proud.

Eric

Bambu
03-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. Interesting about the center ball on a bigger table, but not surprising. I wonder if there could be any real advantage on the weights. Maybe somehow it keeps his elbow or wrist straight? I dont know, but Earl sure did look sharp. What a monster stroke he has, power draw with that heavy cue has got to be tough.

Soflasnapper
03-21-2011, 07:17 PM
About the table: Earl said that over its 49 year lifetime, the center slate had become bowed, and that it would be sanded down to play perfect.

Shane was asked if playing on 10-footers was the future of pool, and he said yes it would be.

I doubt that tournaments will ever go to using that size, but it might become the rule for one-on-one matches.

03-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Nope. T'wasnt me commentating this time.

Eric &gt;always has a comment

eg8r
03-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Is this being filmed?

eg8r

03-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Ed,

TAR recorded it. Supposedly, the DVD will be out soon, to be distributed by Mike Gulyassy and TAR.

Eric

eg8r
03-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Cool.

eg8r

Deeman3
03-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Alex says he thinks he can beat Earl on that ten footer! We shall see!

poolmouse
03-26-2011, 12:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Earl's playing with green headphones, his now-typical wrist weights/arm weights, and a 70 inch cue weighing 29 ounces.</div></div>

I met Earl a few times at tournaments. I think he's on drugs. One time I applauded a neighborhood player, since he didn't really have a chance. Earl gave me the dirtiest look and made some sarcastic remarks. I told him if he had a problem with me cheering on my friend, he could take his cue and shove it up his behind. He shut up for the rest of the match, but you can tell being on the losing end of a spat effected his game.

So maybe he's not as crazy and doped out as some of us are lead to believe? Maybe this is the ultimate shark, meant to throw his opponents off balance? Or maybe he's crazy like a fox? A 70 inch cue weighing 29 ounces?!

Personally, anyone who tries to make a living at this game is nuts. Only a small percentage of folks who take this game and try to make it a career is crazier than Earl. Just my opinion, since I made my choice at 17 to never (ever) take this game seriously.

Poolmouse

03-28-2011, 04:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poolmouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Earl's playing with green headphones, his now-typical wrist weights/arm weights, and a 70 inch cue weighing 29 ounces.</div></div>

I met Earl a few times at tournaments. I think he's on drugs. One time I applauded a neighborhood player, since he didn't really have a chance. Earl gave me the dirtiest look and made some sarcastic remarks. I told him if he had a problem with me cheering on my friend, he could take his cue and shove it up his behind. He shut up for the rest of the match, but you can tell being on the losing end of a spat effected his game.

Poolmouse </div></div>

You are definitely on the right path, here.

Funny thing (or not so funny) is that your story can be 5000 other ppl's story about Earl too. Earl has been this way for a long time.

BTW, is this Poolmouse from AZB?

Eric

bradb
03-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Some people may not know that Shane is almost deaf and it take a lot to bother him as he can tune out pretty good. But of course Earl is the master of timing when he starts his crap.

I used to think Earl does this as a way to phych himself up the way the tennis brat used to do, but when you see videos of Earl in his younger days he was always a bit mouthy but not anything like he is now, it has to be his way of coping with getting older and losing his game. He should retire before he becomes a complete clown.

-Brad

Rich R.
03-30-2011, 07:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He should retire before he becomes a complete clown. </div></div>
Too late!!!