PDA

View Full Version : A Reagan era hit that needs to be remembered!

LWW
03-20-2011, 11:15 AM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/03/19/1226024/626909-libya-benghazi-jet-shot-down.jpg

>>>CLICK HERE<<< (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRjOq18Mpyk)

<span style='font-size: 17pt'><u>Libyan On A Jet Plane</u></span>
By: Pinkard & Bowden
Sung to the tune of:
'LEAVING ON A JET PLANE'

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>There's so many times we've crashed and burned,
Seems like the colonel would finally learn
Our Russian jets don't make good submarines.
We fly out to protect our nation,
And use seat bottoms for flotation.
The water's warm, and we're good swimmers too.

So kiss me and smile for me,
Call my folks in Tripoli,
Tell them that Khadafi made me go.
I'm a Libyan on a jet plane,
I don't know if I'll be back again.
Muammar, I hate to go.

Aircraft carrier J.F.K.
Come to blow our chemical plant away,
But we keep telling them it's just pharmaceutical.

So miss me and pray for me,
Bow down to the East for me,
Kneel and gently kiss my butt good-bye.
I'm a Libyan on a jet plane,
Don't know if I'll be back again.
Libyan on a jet plane,
Don't know if I'll be back again.</span>

Soflasnapper
03-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Late '60s isn't really the Reagan era, but the era against which Reagan rebelled. I take the 'Reagan era' to be the '80s when he was president, whereas his first term as governor, more a kind of wacky thing you might expect California to erroneously swing to.

llotter
03-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Yes, having a Commander in Chief who was decisive because he had a clear vision of America's place in the world sure beats our dithering moron who lacks any positive vision at all. The moron's only agenda is to tear down what exists but knows not what will replace it, except for some Utopian dream. His pea sized brain in totally inadequate for the job.

LWW
03-20-2011, 04:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Late '60s isn't really the Reagan era, but the era against which Reagan rebelled. I take the 'Reagan era' to be the '80s when he was president, whereas his first term as governor, more a kind of wacky thing you might expect California to erroneously swing to. </div></div>

That's probably why the song wasn't written or performed until the 1980's.

LWW
03-20-2011, 04:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, having a Commander in Chief who was decisive because he had a clear vision of America's place in the world sure beats our dithering moron who lacks any positive vision at all. The moron's only agenda is to tear down what exists but knows not what will replace it, except for some Utopian dream. His pea sized brain in totally inadequate for the job. </div></div>

Or totally perfect. Depends on who you think is calling the shots.

Soflasnapper
03-21-2011, 04:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Late '60s isn't really the Reagan era, but the era against which Reagan rebelled. I take the 'Reagan era' to be the '80s when he was president, whereas his first term as governor, more a kind of wacky thing you might expect California to erroneously swing to. </div></div>

That's probably why the song wasn't written or performed until the 1980's.

</div></div>

?????

That's not what I found when I looked it up before posting my comment. Perhaps you should recheck that and then post up your own correction of yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "Leaving on a Jet Plane" is a song written by John Denver in 1966 and most famously recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary. The original title of the song was "Oh Babe I Hate To Go" but Denver's then producer, Milt Okun, convinced him to change the title. The song was initially recorded in 1967 by the Chad Mitchell Trio, and later that same year by Spanky and Our Gang. Peter, Paul and Mary's version first appeared on their 1967 Album 1700; however, it did not become a hit until they released it as a single in 1969. It turned out to be their biggest (and final) hit, becoming their only #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States. It was the second to last #1 single of the 1960s. The song also spent three weeks atop the easy listening chart [1].</div></div>

This is one of your more easily proven wrong claims in recent memory.

pooltchr
03-21-2011, 04:40 PM
You are talking about the original song by PP&M...Larry was talking about the parody song. Maybe you should go back and read the original post.

Steve

Soflasnapper
03-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Steve, you are correct, of course. I now make you my official LWW translator. LOL

LWW
03-22-2011, 02:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe you should go back and read the original post.

Steve </div></div>

What is this madness of which you speak.

LWW
03-22-2011, 02:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, you are correct, of course. I now make you my official LWW translator. LOL </div></div>

Yes ... I gave you the song's name, the artists who performed it, a link to a rendition of same, and the entire lyrics ... full of Gaddaffyduck/Gulf of Sidra clues ... so I can see how confusing it must have been.

Soflasnapper
03-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I blew it, shu. Not the first time, nor the last, I'm sure.