PDA

View Full Version : Liberals Giving Up On American Exceptionalism!!

Sev
03-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Cant argue with this.

http://townhall.com/columnists/luritadoan/2011/03/21/liberals_giving_up_on_american_exceptionalism
<span style="color: #000000">
Mainstream media has become defeatist, abandoning the notion that Americans are uniquely able to accomplish great things. Worse yet, members of congress, mostly Democrats but some Republicans too, have become similarly defeatist. How sad.

When confronted with challenges, danger, or catastrophe, their common response is to shirk. These defeatists seem to think that Americans lack the grit, ingenuity, and raw courage to tackle complicated problems.

Consider the typical Democrat response to some recent crises. When there was an oil spill in the Gulf—Democrat leaders recommended that all off-shore drilling be abandoned. When there was an accident in a West Virginia coal mine, they urged Americans to adopt a strategy to move away from coal-fueled energy. When there was an accident at a nuclear power plant six thousand miles away, Democrat leaders championed avoidance, suggesting that no new permits should be issued and building and operation of nuclear plants in America should be discouraged.

In each of these cases, the defeatists seemed to be saying is that America was no longer capable of inventing better solutions to solve these and other challenges--better to just give up after any setback. They seem to imply that the problems are just too tough and our skills just too feeble. This ideology of despair was most succinctly captured by a journalist who suggests that America abandon nuclear power, claiming that "if Japan can't do it, no one can."

This peculiarly Democrat ideology of defeatism ignores some of America’s greatest strengths--our ability to innovate, to adapt and to overcome setbacks. Those on the Left are deliberately discouraging a belief in American exceptionalism. They do this by fear-mongering, encouraging helplessness and obstructing individual efforts.

In the past, obstacles, even failures, have been viewed by Americans as an opportunity to excel, as a chance to overcome and to gain the advantage by learning from mistakes and making a better product or service.
The airplane is a prime example. In the early 1900s, Wilbur and Orville Wright were undeterred by the seemingly insurmountable challenges in creating the first fixed-wing aircraft able to sustain heavier than human flight—even though many others before them had died trying. Charles Lindberg’s famous flight across the Atlantic almost 85 years ago wouldn’t have happened in the current environment because too many crashes and failed attempts had already occurred. But Lindberg’s innovation and perseverance sparked a flame that created an entire industry in the U.S.

With innovation there has always been the possibility of danger, but instead of abandoning the concept because of failures and dangers, Americans have always persevered and newer, safer and often cheaper technologies or solutions emerged from the failures of the past.

Instead of calling upon American innovation and competitiveness to overcome the problems of nuclear power plants or off-shore drilling, President Obama’s solution is to maximize the drama to advance his political agenda, then to discourage or discard the effort, perhaps because the President doesn’t believe in American exceptionalism either.

Obama doesn’t seem to believe that Americans are more innovative, more creative, more daring and more able to make a difference. It’s as if he and other Democrat leaders have given up on America’s greatness and want to manage expectations by lowering the bar of achievement.

Americans deserve a president who believes that we are an exceptional nation, capable of achieving everything that is good and great. We deserve a president who acknowledges and appreciates the extraordinary contributions in educational, defense, industry, medicine, technology and philanthropy that Americans have made to the world in the past 235 years. Nor are we finished.

America has enormous talent that can be summoned to accomplish great feats and achievements that the rest of the world believes impossible. A man on the moon? No problem. The U.S. can do that in less than ten years. Create a way to immediately communicate with anyone, anywhere in the world, via data packet exchanges that look like documents,that sound like phone calls, that have movie-caliber videos and that creates a social media network to share this data with billions of the world’s inhabitants? Piece of cake!

We have the talent. What the nation lacks is a leader capable of summoning the nation’s abilities. So far, all we seem to be getting is the thin gruel of defeatism that urges us to abandon hope, because the problems are just too hard.

I, for one, am sick of it.

We are a great people, capable of great sacrifices and great accomplishments. If only President Obama would believe it too.</span>

llotter
03-21-2011, 08:11 AM
In the relativist, multicultural world of the Left, the concept of exceptionalism simply does not compute. If fact, if any culture seems to work out better than others, that is not fair and those in the fortunate class must be continually torn down to an egalitarian level. Those gains could have only been ill-gotten and social justice demands a perpetual redistribution.

Who are we to judge, after all? We are not God. In the final tally of life, the rich and prosperous have no special access to heaven but just the opposite according to Matthew 19:24. The fact that such wealth brings a longer life and greater opportunity to do good is on its face unfair.

LWW
03-21-2011, 08:58 AM
I don't think the far left in large numbers ever believed in American exceptionalism.

If they had, they wouldn't have been enamored with Stalin ... or Castro ... or Che ... or Pot ... or Hitler ... or Mao ... of Chavez ... but they were/are.

pooltchr
03-21-2011, 09:49 AM
It's commonly known that the great Babe Ruth, who set home run records in his time, also held the record for strike outs.

If you aren't willing to swing and miss, you will never hit one out of the park.

Steve

LWW
03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
As a lover of both baseball and history, one of my great regrets is never being able to see George Herman Ruth play the greatest game ever.

Soflasnapper
03-21-2011, 03:18 PM
America right now is exceptionally indebted.

Among the things Americans refuse these days which we always used to know we had to do is a) pay enough in taxes to pay for the level of services and expenses paid for by the government, and as a subsection of a), b) pay additional taxes to pay for the large and otherwise not there costs of a war or wars, and c) subject our youth to a military draft if we are going to be in multiple and/or lengthy wars for which the volunteer armed forces backed by reservists and NG are insufficient.

We are now also refusing to invest any largish amount of money for large scale capital improvements in our infrastructure, unlike when Ike proposed and funded the interstate highway system, or JFK proposed and funded the race to the moon.

We've also entirely lost the moral high ground that dated to when General Washington forbade torture or other ill treatment of POWs in the Revolutionary War, and which culminated in the creation of the entire edifice of international laws of war.

We have indeed seen a vast change in the character of this country, and its exceptionalism is but one casualty.

wolfdancer
03-21-2011, 03:23 PM
there isn't much that could be added to that excellent post, but I see that the usual suspects are trying hard to subtract from it.

pooltchr
03-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Sofla
I have no problem paying taxes. But when the government wastes money on so many things that aren't even part of their intended function, and then ask for more to pay for the things they are supposed to be doing, I get a little upset.

Yes, we need to keep up highways, bridges, and other things essential to the operation of the country. So maybe if those things took priority, and things they have no business spending money on (national healthcare plans, global warming initiatives, "green" energy promotion, etc) were cut from the budget, along with cutting the overall size, waste and duplication of services of the government, we would be much better off.

Steve

Sev
03-21-2011, 07:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">America right now is exceptionally indebted.

Among the things Americans refuse these days which we always used to know we had to do is a) pay enough in taxes to pay for the level of services and expenses paid for by the government, and as a subsection of a), b) pay additional taxes to pay for the large and otherwise not there costs of a war or wars, and c) subject our youth to a military draft if we are going to be in multiple and/or lengthy wars for which the volunteer armed forces backed by reservists and NG are insufficient.

We are now also refusing to invest any largish amount of money for large scale capital improvements in our infrastructure, unlike when Ike proposed and funded the interstate highway system, or JFK proposed and funded the race to the moon.

We've also entirely lost the moral high ground that dated to when General Washington forbade torture or other ill treatment of POWs in the Revolutionary War, and which culminated in the creation of the entire edifice of international laws of war.

We have indeed seen a vast change in the character of this country, and its exceptionalism is but one casualty. </div></div>

The country would be in a far different place of the greatest generation didnt fail their children. They may have saved the world however their failing with their children is costing us dearly.

LWW
03-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Excellent post.

They raised a generation who believed that, just as when they were being raised, all they had to do was whine until they got what they wanted ... and never actually pay for it on their own.

Qtec
03-22-2011, 04:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They raised a generation </div></div>

Who are they?

Q

LWW
03-22-2011, 04:44 AM
It seems Snoopy's view of the forest is still blocked by the trees.

Qtec
03-22-2011, 04:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">abandoning the notion that <u>Americans are uniquely able to accomplish great things. </u> </div></div>

Really.

http://www.personal.kent.edu/~ltaylor1/pyramids_of_egypt.jpg

http://www.offbeatenough.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ca731__Millau-Viaduct-Bridge-France-1.jpg

http://www.eltourismo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/machu_picchu-1024x768.jpg

http://greatwallchina.org/2954192396_d2f5673696.jpg
Q

Sev
03-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Humans have been moving stones for 10's of thousands of years.

You can do a lot with slave labor.

They did not however put a man on the moon.

Sev
03-22-2011, 06:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems Snoopy's view of the forest is still blocked by the trees. </div></div>

Especially since "they" are in my statement.

pooltchr
03-22-2011, 07:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems Snoopy's view of the forest is still blocked by the trees. </div></div>

When he doesn't have anything intelligent to say, this is what we get from him.
It depends on what "is" is!

Steve

Qtec
03-22-2011, 07:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Humans have been moving stones for 10's of thousands of years. </div></div>

Sure. the great pyramid is just an example of people moving rocks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can do a lot with slave labor. </div></div>

The US was built on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They did not however put a man on the moon. </div></div>

?

Q

Soflasnapper
03-22-2011, 02:47 PM
The country would be in a far different place of the greatest generation didnt fail their children. They may have saved the world however their failing with their children is costing us dearly.

The economy failed our families. It was no longer possible for a father to provide enough income to a family, so women were forced into the workplace, creating latchkey children. The women flooding into the workplace further depressed average wages under the inequitable gender wage situation, so men did still worse on average. These kinds of economic pressures shattered families, and women now able to support themselves and their children, however meagerly, found less reason to marry the low-wage and low-prospects dads in the first place, or reason to stay married when things got tough.

Sadly, suicide is about the second leading cause of death among the young, and the loss of idealism and hope for a better future is one key cause. Our materialistic society debases humans to a simple accounting of what stuff they can obtain or consume, and discounts spirituality, honor and sacrifice, that make life worth living.

pooltchr
03-23-2011, 06:32 AM
I disagree. People got greedy. They weren't content to live within their means. I grew up with a father who worked and a mother who stayed home. We didn't have a lot, but we had what we needed.
Later generations decided they needed two cars, a big house, designer jeans and swish shoes, boats, and all the other toys that their neighbors had. And they didn't want to wait for it.
I paid cash for my first car. That means I worked and saved and did without one until I had enough money to go buy one.
People have a much different attitude today.
Like the old saying, Success is having what you want, but happiness is wanting what you have.

Steve

Qtec
03-23-2011, 07:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree. People got greedy. </div></div>

What a turnaround. <span style='font-size: 17pt'>I thought greed was good? Its greed that drives the capitalistic system.</span> Are you now suddenly against that? Have you turned into a commie tree hugging Lefty?

Q......LOL

pooltchr
03-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Greed is a matter of degree. Everyone wants to have "more". There is a difference between setting goals to get more, and working to achieve those goals, and just taking all you can my any means necessary.
You have to have a moral compass. People who will put the goal of gathering more wealth ahead of, oh, raising their own children properly, do not make a positive contribution to society, and do little for their children.
The gathering of wealth is the motivator for people to work. Without it, we lose our drive to excel.
I don't know why I try to explain this to you, as you have indicated you do not believe in the value of the capitalist economic system.
But....I try.

Steve

Qtec
03-23-2011, 07:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Greed is a matter of degree.</div></div>

How about evil? Is that a matter of degree? if you are just a little bit evil, that's OK?

Greed is why the USA is in the position that its in.

If a CEO can make 500 Million in 8 years,why should he care what happens to the company after he is gone?

Q

pooltchr
03-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Why do you constantly try to change the subject?

Steve