PDA

View Full Version : What's the most difficult cue-game?

KalboKev
03-24-2011, 05:56 AM
I used to think it was Snooker, big table, small balls, tight pockets, but you are largely playing at the foot of the table, stop shots, follows, etc. It's still humbling. 9-ball banks is pretty tough, 14-1, one pocket, the Pinoy favorite, rotation?

BCA Master Instr
03-24-2011, 08:37 AM
And the first question would be, for whom?
randyg

JJFSTAR
03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KalboKev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What's the most difficult cue-game? </div></div>

3 cushion billiards

Fran Crimi
03-24-2011, 12:04 PM
9-Ball banks? Now that sounds tough.

bradb
03-24-2011, 12:45 PM
I think its subjective, if a top player specializes in one dicipline they will probably be dominate in it. Of course there are some exceptional players who cross over to other games with success but thats not typical.

Any pro snooker player could probably spot most pro pool players 40 pts a frame. On the other hand when pro snooker players try playing 9ball they rarely make it past the first rounds - Steve Davis being the exception, but even he has never won any important tournaments. Women snooker players have had great success going over to US pool, but I think thats because there are so many well trained female players in England compared to the US where pool was not so well sponsored for women. They came over and made it what it is. Now the asian female players are doing the same.

I play a lot of 8ball. Whenever I play 9ball I usually get knocked out in the middle to late rounds, but after the tounament I like to challenge the 9ball players to an 8ball match and I usually win. Its a different mind set to 9ball players. It's what ever is your game.

I know a snooker player who plays a lot of peg-golf billiards for big money on the snooker table. He is just a fair player in regular snooker but even the local pros lose to him in snooker golf. He has mastered that game.

So in summary, one players difficult game is another players piece of cake.

Brad

cushioncrawler
03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
All human games hav a human dimension.
Mostly, u only havta beat another human.
If its tough for u its tough for her too.
So, really there iz no such thing az the toughest anything.
But, if there iz, it iz probly something that hurts most.

Nude 9ball -- that would hurt me lots. Imagine the anxiety. How do i stack up against my opponent. Iz my bum too hairy. Iz that spectator laughing at me.
mac.

Deeman3
03-24-2011, 07:24 PM
I vote 3 cushion, unless you have played it, you can't appreciate the difficulty.

pooltchr
03-24-2011, 08:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote 3 cushion, unless you have played it, you can't appreciate the difficulty. </div></div>

For me, personally, I would have to agree.

Steve

cushioncrawler
03-25-2011, 05:01 AM
If steve played brad, steve or brad would win, and steve or brad would looz.
Whats so diffikult about that???

Now, if u found a cuesport where both players might looz, now that would be a toughy.
mac.

pooltchr
03-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Are you suggesting that as long as you can win, it's not difficult?

I've won many matches that were absolutely difficult wins.

Steve

cushioncrawler
03-25-2011, 07:16 AM
No matter what the game u only havta play az well az humanly possible.
And u only havta beat a human being.
But re cue-games, for sure some must be more diffikult to learn, ie to get to be B grade say.
3-cushion sounds like it involves lots and lots of learning, ie karnt be learnt quickly, ie u wont be a champ just koz u kan shoot straighter than everyone else.

I reckon that the cue-game with the most to learn (if u want) iz english billiards, ie 3 balls, ie pots inoffs and cannons.
mac.

bradb
03-25-2011, 10:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No matter what the game u only havta play az well az humanly possible.
And u only havta beat a human being.
But re cue-games, for sure some must be more diffikult to learn, ie to get to be B grade say.
3-cushion sounds like it involves lots and lots of learning, ie karnt be learnt quickly, ie u wont be a champ just koz u kan shoot straighter than everyone else.

I reckon that the cue-game with the most to learn (if u want) iz english billiards, ie 3 balls, ie pots inoffs and cannons.
mac. </div></div>

In terms of which is the most difficult game for each individual to play, then for me its 14-1. I dislike the game because its so tedious and gruelling to plod thru and I just don't have the patience for it. I don't like watching it either for the same reasons. But thats just my personal view, its a great game with a long tradition.

Speaking of watching, I like watching a good one pocket match, its always interesting to see how each player will attack or defend from their position. I appreciate the difficulty in playing that game

I find it boring as hell to watch Stephen Hendrey run centuries... much more interesting to see a Snooker battle between 2 good club players. Brad

cushioncrawler
03-25-2011, 03:29 PM
English billiards iz brilliant. I like watching a young pool player play the potpotpot game, gainst an old fashioned geriatrik (mac) who knows hiz inoffs and hiz cannon angles.

I swear, i think i am getting to know more about english billiards than anyone on earth. Too late too late.
mac.

bradb
03-25-2011, 06:05 PM
I assume English billiards (on a snooker table) is 3 balls, 2 red one white, the object is to cannon into a ball or in off to continue, and hitting all three balls gets the most points?

The Vietnamese play that game here only the balls are as big as melons and the table is about 4x8. The surface is so slow you have to pound every shot.

Theres another version using all the colors called Russian billiards.

Brad

Alaskan_Pool
03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
The most difficult is any where you're playing for your rent money.

Seriously? Three-cushion, without a doubt, and I love the game though I'm not very good. High run is seven.