PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Gov Appointee Seeks To Criminalize Sex!

Gayle in MD
03-25-2011, 06:47 AM
THIS IS ONE FOR THE BOOKS! STUNNINGLY ABSURD!

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>JUNEAU -- Gov. Sean Parnell's appointee for the panel that nominates state judges testified Wednesday that he would like to see Alaskans prosecuted for having sex outside of marriage.</span>

The candidate, Don Haase of Valdez, also admitted under questioning by members of the Senate Judiciary Committee that his official resume failed to disclose his leadership role in Eagle Forum Alaska, which advocates for social conservative issues. He most recently was president of the organization, but resigned when he learned of his nomination, he said.

Haase, picked by Parnell for one of three public seats on the Alaska Judicial Council, said that he wouldn't let his personal beliefs influence which candidates he'd approve for judgeships.

"It would be a very convoluted process to sit on this board to change the law," said Haase, testifying by telephone. "It would be an inconvenient way to do it."

By the time the hearing on Haase ended -- there was some 40 minutes of questioning by the panel's three Democrats, some questions suggesting that Haase had attempted to scrub clean a record of extreme beliefs -- his nomination may turn on an issue of geography, not personal values.

Haase -- pronounced "hays" -- has done electrical and mechanical design work at the trans-Alaska pipeline terminal in Valdez since 2000, first working for Veco, then for CH2M Hill. He ran for the Legislature in 2010 but came in second in the Republican primary to Rep. Eric Feige in what was nearly a three-way tie.

His resume listed such extracurricular activities as his roles in producing and starring in local plays for tourists and being a member of the Valdez Snowmachine Club. But it made no reference to the Eagle Forum Alaska. In response to questions from Sen. Joe Paskvan, D-Fairbanks, Haase said he became active in the organization about 2005, eventually taking on responsibility for its blog. "I was only president for a couple of months. I resigned as soon as I got the call that this came up," Haase said.

He said he didn't think it was important enough to merit mention in his resume. He didn't list his church membership either, he said.

One blog post on the Eagle Forum Alaska site praised efforts at criminalizing adultery in Michigan, and Paskvan asked Haase if he thought it should be a felony in Alaska.

"I don't see that that would rise to the level of a felony," Haase said.

Paskvan: "Do you believe it should be a crime?"

Haase: "Yeah, I think it's very harmful to have extramarital affairs. It's harmful to children, it's harmful to the spouse who entered a legally binding agreement to marry the person that's cheating on them."

Paskvan: "What about premarital affairs -- should that be a crime?"

Haase: "I think that would be up to the voters certainly. If it came before (the state) as a vote, I probably would vote for it ... I can see where it would be a matter for the state to be involved with because of the spread of disease and the likelihood that it would cause violence. I can see legitimate reasons to push that as a crime."

Haase then asked why those questions were relevant.

"You are injecting yourself into the judicial system and so I think it's fair inquiry," Paskvan replied. "If you have a motivation to limit who would be advanced to a judgeship ... then your beliefs and attitudes are important," Paskvan said.

Haase said he opposed judicial activism, and cited the U.S. Supreme Court's decision legalizing abortion in Roe v. Wade as an example. In his campaign for state House last year, Haase made his opposition to abortion a central theme. Abortion is also a prominent theme on the Eagle Forum Alaska blog.

But he testified he wouldn't have an anti-abortion litmus test in choosing state judges, whom he said rarely touched major political issues.

"Their case laws are going to be dealing with traffic violations, domestic disputes, petty crimes, small claims, things of that nature," Haase said. "I'd be wasting my time to try to affect any of these (political) issues through this process."

French reminded him that the judicial council doesn't just nominate judges to lower courts.

"You will have the opportunity to shape the field of candidates who would be seated on the Alaska Court of Appeals and the Alaska Supreme Court, and those questions come before the Supreme Court on a regular basis -- parental notification, choice issues, and so forth," French said.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/03/23/1772266/senate-panel-questions-judicial.html#ixzz1HcAMBKAK

omg!

BTW,.... Wolf, Hondo, Stretch, Sack, Q., Sofla, Mac, Dick, Moblvs, basically, all of my friends, please don't respond to any from the right, within this thread....I'm tired of them hi-jacking every thread, with ridiculous juvenile RW personal attacks, and irrelevant Bubba BS...perhaps, we can create some space on this forum, where their tactics can't destroy all adult debate, even if it is ONLY within my threads.
Thanking you in advance....
G.

sack316
03-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Asinine to try to put such a law on the books (Gayle, you'll like this opinion)... but I am of the opinion that fidelity in marriage is part of religious doctrine, not man made law. Hence those who practice adultery that are of some religious belief would generally be in violation of God's law. But the State cannot impose such a law on everyone, as it should be inclusive to all (ie not only religious law).

So in terms of our justice system, such a law should not be allowed to be imposed.

Besides, it would be too vague to define. We have a multitude of "alternative" lifestyles these days. I don't think a consenting swinger couple should be subjected to possible criminal punishment (assuming the law would not have specific exemptions). Or worse, a bitter partner seeking revenge could certainly take advantage of the possibilities here.

It's just an issue that goes too many directions, is too deep, and too personal for the government to legislate criminally. Civilly is another matter, though.

Sack

Gayle in MD
03-25-2011, 10:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Asinine to try to put such a law on the books (Gayle, you'll like this opinion)... but I am of the opinion that fidelity in marriage is part of religious doctrine, not man made law. Hence those who practice adultery that are of some religious belief would generally be in violation of God's law. But the State cannot impose such a law on everyone, as it should be inclusive to all (ie not only religious law).

So in terms of our justice system, such a law should not be allowed to be imposed.

Besides, it would be too vague to define. We have a multitude of "alternative" lifestyles these days. I don't think a consenting swinger couple should be subjected to possible criminal punishment (assuming the law would not have specific exemptions). Or worse, a bitter partner seeking revenge could certainly take advantage of the possibilities here.

It's just an issue that goes too many directions, is too deep, and too personal for the government to legislate criminally. Civilly is another matter, though.

Sack </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's just an issue that goes too many directions, is too deep, and too personal for the government to legislate criminally. </div></div>

Absolutely, as is a woman's decision regarding abortion.

G.

LWW
03-25-2011, 10:34 AM
A good libertarian answer.

pooltchr
03-25-2011, 10:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BTW,.... Wolf, Hondo, Stretch, Sack, Q., Sofla, Mac, Dick, Moblvs, basically, all of my friends, please don't respond to any from the right, within this thread....I'm tired of them hi-jacking every thread, with ridiculous juvenile RW personal attacks, and irrelevant Bubba BS...perhaps, we can create some space on this forum, where their tactics can't destroy all adult debate, even if it is ONLY within my threads.
G. </div></div>

Gayle...trying to restrict discussions on a discussion forum....one post at a time!

Steve

sack316
03-25-2011, 10:40 AM
and if you recall, my stance on that is the exact same.

Sack

Gayle in MD
03-25-2011, 10:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and if you recall, my stance on that is the exact same.

Sack </div></div>

Yes, I know. I'm not mocking you, just commenting... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Soflasnapper
03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
A Republican advocating for sharia law? Say it isn't so!

ugotda7
03-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Let me translate - do not let anybody interrupt our liberal love fest circle jerk.

PO................?

TOTAL IGNORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THIS IS ONE FOR THE BOOKS! STUNNINGLY ABSURD!

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>JUNEAU -- Gov. Sean Parnell's appointee for the panel that nominates state judges testified Wednesday that he would like to see Alaskans prosecuted for having sex outside of marriage.</span>

The candidate, Don Haase of Valdez, also admitted under questioning by members of the Senate Judiciary Committee that his official resume failed to disclose his leadership role in Eagle Forum Alaska, which advocates for social conservative issues. He most recently was president of the organization, but resigned when he learned of his nomination, he said.

Haase, picked by Parnell for one of three public seats on the Alaska Judicial Council, said that he wouldn't let his personal beliefs influence which candidates he'd approve for judgeships.

"It would be a very convoluted process to sit on this board to change the law," said Haase, testifying by telephone. "It would be an inconvenient way to do it."

By the time the hearing on Haase ended -- there was some 40 minutes of questioning by the panel's three Democrats, some questions suggesting that Haase had attempted to scrub clean a record of extreme beliefs -- his nomination may turn on an issue of geography, not personal values.

Haase -- pronounced "hays" -- has done electrical and mechanical design work at the trans-Alaska pipeline terminal in Valdez since 2000, first working for Veco, then for CH2M Hill. He ran for the Legislature in 2010 but came in second in the Republican primary to Rep. Eric Feige in what was nearly a three-way tie.

His resume listed such extracurricular activities as his roles in producing and starring in local plays for tourists and being a member of the Valdez Snowmachine Club. But it made no reference to the Eagle Forum Alaska. In response to questions from Sen. Joe Paskvan, D-Fairbanks, Haase said he became active in the organization about 2005, eventually taking on responsibility for its blog. "I was only president for a couple of months. I resigned as soon as I got the call that this came up," Haase said.

He said he didn't think it was important enough to merit mention in his resume. He didn't list his church membership either, he said.

One blog post on the Eagle Forum Alaska site praised efforts at criminalizing adultery in Michigan, and Paskvan asked Haase if he thought it should be a felony in Alaska.

"I don't see that that would rise to the level of a felony," Haase said.

Paskvan: "Do you believe it should be a crime?"

Haase: "Yeah, I think it's very harmful to have extramarital affairs. It's harmful to children, it's harmful to the spouse who entered a legally binding agreement to marry the person that's cheating on them."

Paskvan: "What about premarital affairs -- should that be a crime?"

Haase: "I think that would be up to the voters certainly. If it came before (the state) as a vote, I probably would vote for it ... I can see where it would be a matter for the state to be involved with because of the spread of disease and the likelihood that it would cause violence. I can see legitimate reasons to push that as a crime."

Haase then asked why those questions were relevant.

"You are injecting yourself into the judicial system and so I think it's fair inquiry," Paskvan replied. "If you have a motivation to limit who would be advanced to a judgeship ... then your beliefs and attitudes are important," Paskvan said.

Haase said he opposed judicial activism, and cited the U.S. Supreme Court's decision legalizing abortion in Roe v. Wade as an example. In his campaign for state House last year, Haase made his opposition to abortion a central theme. Abortion is also a prominent theme on the Eagle Forum Alaska blog.

But he testified he wouldn't have an anti-abortion litmus test in choosing state judges, whom he said rarely touched major political issues.

"Their case laws are going to be dealing with traffic violations, domestic disputes, petty crimes, small claims, things of that nature," Haase said. "I'd be wasting my time to try to affect any of these (political) issues through this process."

French reminded him that the judicial council doesn't just nominate judges to lower courts.

"You will have the opportunity to shape the field of candidates who would be seated on the Alaska Court of Appeals and the Alaska Supreme Court, and those questions come before the Supreme Court on a regular basis -- parental notification, choice issues, and so forth," French said.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/03/23/1772266/senate-panel-questions-judicial.html#ixzz1HcAMBKAK

omg!

G. </div></div>

JohnnyD
03-25-2011, 03:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and if you recall, my stance on that is the exact same.

Sack </div></div>

Yes, I know. I'm not mocking you, just commenting... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
Friend:Let's not mock others.I am trying to comply with your wish about not responding to the others.
Love
JohnnyD

LWW
03-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Bless you JohnnyD

Gayle in MD
03-26-2011, 01:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Republican advocating for sharia law? Say it isn't so! </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif That's about it...

Qtec
03-26-2011, 03:09 AM
Bad news for the Palins.

Q

LWW
03-26-2011, 04:33 AM
JohnnyD ... how does the cabal get it without ever actually getting it?

Gayle in MD
03-26-2011, 07:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad news for the Palins.

Q </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It's not easy to believe these Republican Reps are for real. Almost smacks of a shared ideology of knowing their supporters are angry, irrational types, unfit to live in a society of equal rights, under the law, a human right to privacy, and self-determination.

When I read John Dean's book, Conservatives Without Conscience I was able to understand their irrational ideologies for the first time.

G.

JohnnyD
03-26-2011, 09:46 AM
They are clueless like h is shoeless.

JohnnyD
03-26-2011, 09:47 AM
TOTAL IGNORE.On second thought it's saturday so now it's COMPLETE TOTAL IGNORE.

POS

pooltchr
03-26-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm starting to think that making procreation illegal for liberals might not be such a bad thing....

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve