PDA

View Full Version : Should I favor myself as captain in this way?

Soflasnapper
03-27-2011, 03:49 PM
My league team has 7 members, and only 5 can play in each of the 3 rounds of 5 individual games that add up to the 15 games of the match. If we had just 5, everyone would play 3 games, one per round of 5. When we sometimes have 6 players (when someone is out), 3 can play 3 games a night, with the other 3 getting 2 games (sitting out one of the 3 rounds).

My policy has been to play the 3 strongest players 3 times each, and then divide the remaining games among the rest (putting myself in the rest, and normally then playing twice myself a night). But with 7 players, 15 games is only 2 games apiece with one player getting a 3rd game, meaning if I play 3 players three times, something has to give.

This season, with a weak division, I've sat myself twice many times, getting just one or in some cases no games, in order to play the other 'rest of us' more games, unless it's one of the couple teams who are competitive with us.

I've only just realized that a) I probably can get one of the high average trophies if I continue at my current .760 winning percentage, and b) I will not have achieved enough games played to be eligible unless I now play myself 3 times each remaining match (which will require sitting 'the rest' more often).

I am conflicted, and wonder your opinion on this. We've clinched first place already whatever happens in the next 4 weeks, and our goal now is to finish undefeated in the regular season (and win the playoffs from that top seed). My team knows I've been sacrificing my turns for the team, and probably wouldn't object. But I'd prefer to do the right thing, even if whatever I'd do would get a pass. Is it appropriate to use my captaincy to further this personal goal? TIA for your thoughts.

KalboKev
03-28-2011, 05:55 AM
I "retired" from league play some time ago. Politics. When I was "Captain", I "only" played when I was rarely forced to by limited numbers. Top of the league, every season. "El Kapitano" is clearly the best player on our team, "watches, encourages, and manages only", let's us play...it breeds loyalty, run through a brick wall for ya. A well versed, objective, non-playing Captain is probably the best way to go--ala Nick Varner.

Bambu
03-28-2011, 06:29 AM
I would have to give up the trophy. By sitting out so much early in the season, you pretty much sacrificed yourself already. The only way it could work would be if the whole team insists that you play. Doubtful, since they probably dont keep track of who needs what anyway. Last thing you want is for the rest of the team to think you are hogging games. God forbid you lose, then youll really never hear the end of it. It really depends on the particular guys you have.

I once had a bar league team with the same exact format. Two experienced players and a bunch of casual players, 15 games per night. I only played 2 games a night instead of 3, just so the others could play more. I also did the same with my best shooter, but the rest of the team was still pissed.

Rich R.
03-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Although I would probably sacrafice myself for the team, the fact that you take on the thankless job of team captain earns you the right to do any damn thing you want to do.

I've seen you play and I have to wonder if you playing more would really hurt your team. It may be a benefit to everyone.

Soflasnapper
03-28-2011, 10:58 AM
I was 6-0 playing 3 games each of the last two weeks out of necessity from being somewhat short-handed and playing away at the two toughest teams in our schedule, and 6-0 the prior 4 weeks. So, at 12-0 over the last 6 weeks, I'm playing as well as anyone on the team over the past month and a half (including my going 2-0 last week against last season's high average winner).

Therefore, I would not be hurting the team's chances by playing more, but it's about the politics of changing the rotation, in the pursuit of a personal non-team goal. In order not to trim people to just playing one game, I'd probably have to poach a game from one or more of the people I usually play 3 times as part of that effort.

Given the disturbance, I'm leaning toward agreeing with Bambu above, to decide that this is a bed I've already made and should probably resign myself to sleep in. We can concentrate on our team goals, and I can target next season for making sure I'm eligible for a high average award.

03-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately, this is the conundrum of being a captain. As you know, you have to wear several hats. You also have to be the glue that keeps the team together.

That said, I think you have to bite the bullet and do what makes the team happiest. After all, you can't continue on, next season, if ppl drop off the team.

I think I would find a way to let the team know that you are potentially eligible to win a high average trophy, but decided to give it up for the benefit of others. This way, if the situation comes up next season, you might have an easier sell, to go for it, for yourself.

Eric

lance link
03-29-2011, 07:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've only just realized that a) I probably can get one of the high average trophies if I continue at my current .760 winning percentage, and b) I will not have achieved enough games played to be eligible unless I now play myself 3 times each remaining match (which will require sitting 'the rest' more often).

I am conflicted, and wonder your opinion on this. We've clinched first place already whatever happens in the next 4 weeks, and our goal now is to finish undefeated in the regular season (and win the playoffs from that top seed).</div></div>

I captained a six-person team. At that time, my biggest concern was insuring everyone played enough games to qualify for playoffs/nationals.

Yours is a different, and understandable, dilemma. Flip it around, though. If one of your players was in contention for the high average trophy, would you play them ?

Ask your teammates. Lay it out just like you have above.

Bambu
03-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks Lance good post. Problem is that the mindset of the captain is very different from that of a player. Captains are much more aware of standings, awards, statistics, and the game itself.

Most casual players arent eligible for individual trophys or awards, so they dont really care. They focus on having fun for the night, and that means playing. They dont play their normal amount of games, many feel slighted, or even "benched." Sometimes they say its cool, but inside they are fuming.

The captain has to decide on the lineup from the start. Either play your best guys and go for the kill all season, or play for fun and spread the games out. Better teams find the right players, people willing to accept their given roles from season start to finish.

Fran Crimi
03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
I think that if your team isn't going to gain anything like money or trophies for going undefeated, then you should definitely ask them if they'd mind if you gave yourself a shot at the trophy --- up until the playoffs, of course.

If you were potentially taking money out of their pockets,or preventing a player from qualifying, it would be a different thing, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Rich R.
03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Phil, it may be time for a team meeting to see what they think about the entire situation.

Soflasnapper
04-02-2011, 03:03 PM
We had our next match this past Wednesday, and it was against a lower-tier team we'd easily beaten, the kind of match I had sat myself in two of the sets to allow the bench more games.

We had all manner of problems, 3 on our team scratching on the 8 (two who were using unfamiliar cues), so it was clear we'd have a tougher match than I anticipated. I figured regular order was called for, meaning I'd play twice-- somewhere in the first set, and then anchoring the third set's final game.

After I set the 2nd set lineup, sitting myself, one team member I'd put in that 2nd set said to take him out and put myself in his place, so as to get my required games in. Nice gesture, but the opposing captain wouldn't allow the switch out, and any lineup changes after they're written down require both captains' agreement. She figured I'd be more likely to win (maybe true), but he won his game anyway.

So that's that. I had already decided to not get those games in as of the 2nd set lineup, found out at least one of my players wanted me to get them in, and then found out my original decision was final.

It's not all bad. I won that last game on the double-hill to keep us undefeated and now have the high average on the team. I now can also miss next week's match against the 1-14 last place team to go see Further, a band I always try to see when they come to town, since my games will not be enough, regardless.

Thanks for all your feedback, as it helped guide my decision, which I do not regret.