PDA

View Full Version : Barry Behrman Responds

Brady_Behrman
09-11-2002, 06:17 PM
For Immediate Press Release

U.S. Open Players, Fans and Supporters,

As of late we have seen many unsubstantiated media outbursts, supposed leaks from insiders and numerous commentaries concerning the validity, as well as the character, of myself and the 2002 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships, to be held in Chesapeake, VA on September 23-29. As of this writing, the event managing staff nor myself have seen any article, byline, post, or e-mail that is correct in any form of entirety. Innuendoes and half-truths are circulating at such an enormous pace that we simply donít have the staff available to constantly check each one for content or creative concept. Fortunately there have been some very interesting suggestions and unfortunately they have been just as creative, creative indeed. We all have our opinions of what to do and how to do it correctly.

I would like to announce that after careful review of the lengthy UPA Agreement, I have been counseled by my legal staff to not sign any agreement similar in nature with any organization. In light of this decision, I have decided to make public certain event information that should alleviate any doubt in the minds of any player wishing to enter the 2002 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships.

1.I shall place into escrow the minimum added money, in the amount of $40,000, with First Union National Bank on or before Friday, September 13, 2002.

2.I shall place into escrow the entirety of player entry fees, at the rate of $500 per paid player; by 5:00 PM Monday September 23, 2002 so as all fees shall be accounted for at the beginning of the event, protected as well as insured.

3.I shall pay all prize money in cash, U.S. Open check or a combination of both, at the discretion of the individual player as promised. All disbursements will be made on site at posted intervals during the day and evening. U.S. Open checks can be cashed as early as Monday, September 30 after 2:00 PM.

And

4. I shall extend, by one week, the late fee of $50.00 per player until September 16, 2002. So any player who wishes to enter from the 17th until the players meeting and deadline at 6:00 PM on the 22nd will pay $550.00.

Right now we are directing our energies in to the production portion of the event, as usual for this time of year. As you can surmise, there are hundreds of small, but very important, details to attend to before the big show. We do our very best to make sure that everyone can enjoy themselves and most especially be a part of our annual affair of which the Finals will be televised live on Pay-Per-View. We take pride in our ability to host an event of this magnitude. In response to the media swarming the internet we can only think, all publicity is good publicity. The more intriguing the controversy, the more it may make folks want to come and see the U.S. Open in person and feel the excitement for themselves as the tournament plays out. It really is a fascinating sight to experience and no one enjoys it more than I do or I would have quit a long time ago.

We wish the best to all and await your arrival to Chesapeake for the most prestigious 9-Ball event in the world.

Thank you,

Barry Behrman

Tom_In_Cincy
09-11-2002, 07:07 PM
Any questions about wether the US Open is "ON"?

Thanks BARRY.. its party time in Virginia.. AGAIN..

09-11-2002, 07:24 PM
Spoken like the true professional he is. Barry is, an always will be, an icon in the sport of pocket billiards.
Now let's move on, and get this party started with some big-time 9-rock in Chesapeake, Va.!

Ken
09-11-2002, 08:38 PM
Good for you, Barry. That sanctioning is a load of crap. I wasn't going to drive down this year but I've changed my mind. I'll try to get something running that can make the trip and spend as much money as I can to support the Open.
KenCT