PDA

View Full Version : Tip Diameter

JasonWDTX
03-31-2011, 12:10 AM
I need some feedback on diameter. Here is my situation. I started with standard house cues then got a cue that came with a 12mm tip. A couple years ago an older gentleman (hustler back in his day) started teaching me all he knew, he told me to get a pro taper down to 11mm so I did that. I loved it at first and seemed to shoot better which could have been that or his other guidance or several hours practice per day. Anyway after a couple years I started going places without my cue and often used house cues, then I got some new house cues in different weights for my game room so I had to break each one in.

When I played with my 11mm all the time house cues felt fat and I didn't like them. But since I have been using house cues so often the last 3 months I seem to like the 12mm or 13mm (whatever most house cues are) better now. I just ordered 2 cues than are on their way and the come standard with 13 tips.

I still have my 11mm cues and want to know the pros and cons of using either diameter. Is there a real difference or is it just based on personal preference?

I am still in the eager and learning stage of shooting pool and plan to keep spending hours per day on the table but I can't decide which diameter I should use the most often and stick with. I look forward to hearing from all the great experience here.

BCA Master Instr
03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Please don't confuse the difference of the diameter of the tip to the taper of the shaft....two different things.

I don't think there is much difference between 11-12mm tip.
I think there is a huge difference in shaft tapers.

randyg

JasonWDTX
03-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Ok, that makes sense, I guess I should re phrase the question to a pro taper vs stock shaft. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

Bambu
03-31-2011, 02:59 PM
It's like a baseball bat Jason, all preference. Try out as many cues and shafts as you can before you buy. Only true advantage of a skinny shaft is that its a little easier draw(because you can hit lower on the cue ball). Some who prefer the fatter diameter, claim it's easier to hit center ball. But, the majority of people prefer the middle of the road size....13 mm house cue diameter.

Rich R.
04-01-2011, 04:33 AM
Tip diameter and shaft taper are like a lot of other things concerning the equipment in this game, it is all personal preference. JMHO.

KalboKev
04-01-2011, 07:16 AM
I like an 11.5 to start with, pro-taper or conical, doesn't matter, Over a couple years I can methodically sand it down to what "ever" feels right. You can put more "mustard" on the cue ball with a small tip, however, it' s less forgiving and any error is amplified. Gotta be able to objectively critique your own game. Almost impossible. Then you have that Big fat pig of a tip at 13mm
It's my humble opinion, all things considered, the best pure
Cue Men/Women in the world are Snooker players. Most pro Snooker players use 9-10mm tip, right???
I find it frustrating. I can command a pool table. Can't say the same on a Snooker table. You ever play 7-ball? ONLY one safety per rack. Miss any shot, and it's ball in hand for the other guy, brutal... It's not about making legal contact and hitting a rail... It you don't legally pot a ball...it's a foul, ball in hand.
!

JJFSTAR
04-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Tip diameter or taper, like all pool equipment (of quality) is a personal preference and varies in importance from one individual to another. Figure out what you really like to shoot with by trying out lots of different equipment.

IMHO you have been the victim of a very poor line of thinking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonWDTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple years ago an older gentleman (hustler back in his day) started teaching me all he knew, he told me to get a pro taper down to 11mm so I did that. </div></div>

The question is why did he tell you to go out and buy that? I can tell you why; because HE shoots great with it and he thinks that when HE discovered that a pro taper with a small tip improved his game that a pro taper with a small tip will improve EVERYONES game.

This may at first sound a little silly but it is just to prove a point. Efren plays/played with a $13 cue for some time, so should we all go out and get that same model? Of course not that’s silly but with all due respect to your teacher that is exactly what he told you to do.

Sooner or later you will find the stick (assuming you “try out” lots of different pool equipment) that feels right. It will give a report when you hit the ball that you will find pleasing, it will have a feel that slides in and out of your bridge effortlessly, a grip with the material and thickness that you really like and you might even like the color.

<u>There is no person on earth no matter how knowledgeable they happen to be about the game that can tell you what that is!!!</u>

There is so much new stuff out there it is now more than ever a daunting task to find your perfect mate but keep searching. It may be that brand new “ultimate weapon” made by Meucci it may be some custom cue makers cue in some city that you haven’t even been to but it is worth the effort to find it.

Fran Crimi
04-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Well said.

Jason, you should never hold back from asking "Why?" when someone like that older gentleman gives you advice. Try to get the logic (if any) behind their suggestion. Sometimes the answers you get are very entertaining but of little overall value to your game.

Deeman3
04-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Good points all, if younhad a theoretical 1mm tip your would have to hit "exact" center ball not to influence the various effects of throw, squirt and swerve. if it was, say, 25 mm you would have very little trouble finding center bll but be able to apply little side and no draw or follow.

Everything that rests between is personal preference along with a dose of homesty about your skills. in my experience, less skilled players wouldmdombetter with larger, say 14mm tip diameter until they can groove an accurate and repeatable control of tip placement on the cue ball!

LWW
04-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Smaller tip diameters, assuming the same taper, will have less end weight and therefore deflect less when english is applied.

Larger tip diameters seem to be more forgiving on power shots such as the break however.

As far as size and taper ... I like something in the 12-13 range as the best compromise.

I play with a 12.5 mm Predator 314-2 shaft and break with a 13 mm homemade break cue.

BCA Master Instr
04-02-2011, 05:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smaller tip diameters, assuming the same taper, will have less end weight and therefore deflect less when english is applied.

Larger tip diameters seem to be more forgiving on power shots such as the break however.

As far as size and taper ... I like something in the 12-13 range as the best compromise.

I play with a 12.5 mm Predator 314-2 shaft and break with a 13 mm homemade break cue. </div></div>

Actually, they would deflect MORE, resulting in less cue ball squirt.

randyg