PDA

View Full Version : Blackheart-Adams cue!

CarolNYC
03-01-2002, 12:01 PM
Hi there Blackheart,
Someone gave me an original Adams cue, but they took off the linen and wrapped it in leather- is there a way to remove the leather and put the linen back on?
Thanks,
Carol

BLACKHEART
03-01-2002, 01:20 PM
The handle area, where the wrap goes, is cut down a little lower than the rest of the butt section of the Q. This is done so that when you put on the linen string it won't stick up higher than the wood around it. To put on some leather wraps, that area has to be cut down even a little deeper because the leather might be thicker than the linen. If that's the case, then the wrap area has to be built up. I've tryied tape, glued paper & several other methods to build up this area. None have been very succesful. So I guess the short of it is that you would have to cut off the leather 1st & see where you are & go from there. Maybe Qguy knows of a better way. GOOD LUCK...JER

TomBrooklyn
03-01-2002, 02:41 PM
How about building up the area with some kind of epoxy or urethane and then cutting it even on a lathe? It may not be the easiest way, but it's a way.

CarolNYC
03-01-2002, 02:50 PM
Thankyou gentlemen-I will bring it to VF and see if anyone can do somethng about it!
Take care,
Carol

Q-guy
03-01-2002, 03:37 PM
I had that recently on a Scruggs cue. It came in for a simple rewrap, but when I removed the wrap there was a couple layers of masking tape. The wrap had been glued to the tape and it was a mess. I called the guy and asked if a leather wrap had been replaced with Irish linen. He said no and he had gotten the cue second hand. Here is how I did it. I have done this in the past. I first wrapped the cue with a cotton twine like kite string. Then put on a layer of West epoxy. The one used to do fiber glassing. ( you can do more then one layer if you need to). It built it up over .025 Then I just sanded it back down to the proper depth and wrapped the cue. This repair should last the life of the cue even if it should need future rewraps. This is as good a way as any. I don't like the tape, it is just a quick fix, and sometimes it is hard to get the wrap to lay down right. It wants to conform to the irregularities of the tape.

Troy
03-01-2002, 06:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi there Blackheart,
Someone gave me an original Adams cue, but they took off the linen and wrapped it in leather- is there a way to remove the leather and put the linen back on?
Thanks,
Carol <hr></blockquote>

I have seen a more than a few old Adam Cues with leather as the original wrap.

BLACKHEART
03-02-2002, 12:26 AM
It sounds like that would be the easy answer,BUT if the Q is even slightly warped. that will mean that you will be cutting deeper on one side of the Q than the other. Also each Q maker has a different taper on their butt. It is really hard to setup your lathe to copy their taper. Since all of this is really time consuming &amp; the customer probably won't want to pay what it's worth, the repairman will probably say "IT CANT BE DONE" &amp; let it go at that...JER