PDA

View Full Version : new cloth

Dug1903
04-03-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm gonna replace my table cloth and was looking for some opinions. Probably go worsted not napped. Have napped now and am looking for something a little faster on my 8 ft. table. I know cloth is alot like which cue is best but I'm open to all comments. Thanks

Bambu
04-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Simonis 860, or 760 if you like really fast. It's expensive, but worth it.

Rich R.
04-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Simonis 860 is the best, hands down.

bradb
04-04-2011, 07:05 PM
All pool table cloth (not snooker) now is shaved, and has no nap. Simonis 860 is the cloth of choice for pro events and plays beautifully but it is very expensive and it wears a bit faster then cheaper cloths.

I have it on my table now but I think I would be just as happy with Tour Addition or Championship Addition. Many pool halls use these brands of cloth as they are fast and play true but less cost than Simonis.

You could ask around for advise from your local suppliers. -Brad

cushioncrawler
04-05-2011, 01:50 AM
Re napped kloth. Duz ironing make it faster????
Re no-nap kloth. Duz ironing make it faster????
Re napped and no-nap kloth. Kan u turn it over and re-uze????
With our napped billiards kloth, Strachan 6811 mainly, we replace when much of the nap iz worn and old and unslippery, especially when holes are appearing at the spots, and when a deep groove iz starting to appear along the rails. When shood u replace a no-nap pool kloth??????
mac.

Rich R.
04-05-2011, 06:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All pool table cloth (not snooker) now is shaved, and has no nap. Simonis 860 is the cloth of choice for pro events and plays beautifully but it is very expensive and it wears a bit faster then cheaper cloths.

I have it on my table now but I think I would be just as happy with Tour Addition or Championship Addition. Many pool halls use these brands of cloth as they are fast and play true but less cost than Simonis.

You could ask around for advise from your local suppliers. -Brad </div></div>
I'm sorry Brad but I have to disagree.

Based on what my local room owner has told me, the Simonis 860 wears better than the other cloths and plays better, longer, than the rest. Simonis is all that he will use in his room. He says that other room owners are saving pennys, buying the cheaper cloths, and throwing away dollars, because they have to recover more often. He should know, he recovers tables for a lot of other rooms but he has to give the customer what they want.

From my own experience, I have Simonis 860 on my home table. I have played on it 4 or 5 times each week, for the past 10 years or more and it still looks like new. In fact, I wish it would show some signs of wear so I would have an excuse to change the color to the tournament blue.

Bambu
04-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Wow, 10 years! Thats the longest I've ever heard of. Rich, how do you maintain it so well? Even by changing my break spot, cleaning with that foam cleaning spray stuff, and using paper under the cue ball for breaking, I cant get more than 3-4 years.

Mac, its pretty much the same. Rail grooves, break channel wear, pitting, and general slowness. If you use the cloth long enough it gets into a last stage where its oily. A bit faster, but by then its usually pitting too.

bradb
04-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Rich, I was refering to the other high ends cloths out there (Brunswick for one) that are on a par with Simonis 860. The local pool hall here has all Gold Crown tables and he has Championship Addition on his tables which is not as expensive and he says wears longer than the Simonis.

I would like to know your secret for keeping it so well! My Simonis 860 is about 4 years old ( I play on it a lot) and its showing wear. Also its actually getting slower and already I'm thinking of replacing the surface (not the rails.) Maybe weather could be a factor... its very damp in the winters here.

Mac, your napped wool snooker cloth is a whole different animal than pool cloth. You would'nt want to iron Simonis, it is a tight weave and has very little nap. Basically all I do is vacuum it once a month and wipe it with a damp cloth now and then.

When I had it installed the guy showed me how delicate the cloth is, he starts the cut with a knife then tears it like a sheet of paper... a bit scary!

Rich R.
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Bambu and Brad, I wouldn't call it a secret but I have to be honest and say that I don't break hard at home very often. Frankly, I have a bad shoulder and hard breaking, for either 8 or 9 ball, is one thing that I don't practice. I only hard break when I have to. Breaking hard is very hard on my shoulder and the cloth and I'm sure that avoiding hard breaks has a major impact on the longevity of my cloth.

Also, to be honest, when at home, I mainly play 14-1. To be honest, I don't play it as well as I play other games but 14-1 is still my favorite game. I also think 14-1 will help you play all other games better. JMHO.

Bambu
04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks Rich, that makes sense. I agree with you about the straight pool too.

bradb
04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Breaking deffinately wears the table more. I was at a billiard club in Arizona and they had Simonis on their tables. They gave you a scrap piece of Simonis cloth to lay under the Qball before breaking. I thought that was a bit silly at the time but now with my own table cloth banged up I see their reasoning.

I started out playing 14-1 years ago when that was all everybody played, but now I just don't have the mental patience for it, and thats what it takes to play it well.

-Brad

cushioncrawler
04-06-2011, 05:15 PM
In the oldendays Janus cotton cloth kood be taken off and washed and kleened, and kood be uzed upside down and downside up, both sides were the same. And it woz diffikult to kut, ie with a knife, very tuff stuff. After all, they did make lifting slings with the same sort of kloth.

I wonder why, if pool kloth aint napped, why then arent both sides the same, or at least both uzeable??????????
mac.

bradb
04-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Mac, The bottom side is pure weave with absolutley no nap. If you were to shoot a ball on it, it would roar along as if it were rolling over cheese cloth.

The top side is shaved down and does have a very slight nap which should still be brushed to the bottom rail, but I usually vacuum it as brushing does little to remove dust.

Its an extreamly fast cloth especially the brunswick edition... its hard to stun a ball on a slight off angle like you can with napped cloth, you will have to go to the rail and back a lot for shape.

I love the stuff though as you need very little power to get around the table. Brad

cushioncrawler
04-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes billiards iz diffikult when u karnt uze soft stun, ie when the balltobed friktion iz great.
Then the next question iz why dont u pool players just rub-spray on some stuff to make the bed slippery. I think it iz dunn for trick shots, without harming the bed apparantly.
mac.