PDA

View Full Version : After Losing Over 300 Advertisers-Fux Boots Beck

Gayle in MD
04-06-2011, 11:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glen Beck to "Transition Off" Fox News Program

Fox News and Glenn Beck announced Wednesday that Beck will "transition off of his daily program" later this year.

In a joint news release, Fox News and Mercury Radio Arts, Beck's production company, said that they will "work together to develop and produce a variety of television projects for air on the Fox News Channel as well as content for other platforms including Fox News’ digital properties."

Beck, the statement said, would "transition off of his daily program, the third highest rated in all of cable news, later this year." It is not clear what the programs will be, or how many of them there will be.

The announcement ends months of speculation about whether or not Beck would continue his Fox News show when his contract was up in December. Beck has drawn unprecedented ratings and attention to his time slot and to the channel, but he also became a lightning rod, drawing frequent and furious criticism for some of his statements and causing widely-reported tension behind the scenes at the network. Over 300 advertisers also stopped airing their commercials on Fox News during Beck's hour.

</div></div>

wolfdancer
04-06-2011, 11:40 AM
There's always the comedy channel, or Hee Haw as options to pick up his show. He always reminded me of "Big Bird", on Sesame Street.
But give hime credit....He made a fortune from playing the role of a newscaster. I always thought and believed, that he was both inspired and role modeled his TV persona, after the Peter Finch character in the 1976 movie "Network"

LWW
04-06-2011, 12:31 PM
It's a shane neither of you actually read the posted story.

wolfdancer
04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
" It's a shane neither of you..."
I did see the movie "Shane", but didn't read the book.
Will there be a similar ending to this drama? "Shane, Shane, come back"?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After Losing Over 300 Advertisers-Fux Boots Beck </div></div>
I think the heading sums up the story that follows quite well. As I have no *&^% use for Bill & company, I'm delighted that Glenn has been shown the door. I hope the Fox news honor guard turned their backs to him as he was drummed out of the building.
Wait, Fox News... Honor (anything)...is that a double entendre?

pooltchr
04-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I didn't see anything in her post that said anything about losing advertisers, nor did I see anything that indicates FOX is firing him. In fact, it looks like they are working with him on some new projects.

Another case of someone who just can't comprehend what they are reading.

The thread title is simply a lie.

Steve

Soflasnapper
04-06-2011, 04:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't see anything in her post that said anything about losing advertisers, nor did I see anything that indicates FOX is firing him. In fact, it looks like they are working with him on some new projects.

Steve </div></div>

You must think those who resign and say they are doing so to spend more time with their family are always telling the whole truth.

It's true that Beck did lose over 300 advertisers, and probably a correct opinion that something about that has something to do with Beck's supposedly mutual decision to leave Fox. That, and prollly also his loss of approx. 1 million viewers a day.

pooltchr
04-06-2011, 04:52 PM
With the third highest rated cable news show, he was generating revenue for FOX. It wouldn't be the best business move for them to dump him because he is controversial. Heck, that's exactly what makes him worth so much to them!

Maybe he is tired of doing the same thing day in and day out, and is ready to try something different. I'm sure many of us have gotten bored with jobs after doing the same daily grind for a while.

Steve

Gayle in MD
04-06-2011, 06:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't see anything in her post that said anything about losing advertisers, nor did I see anything that indicates FOX is firing him. In fact, it looks like they are working with him on some new projects.

Steve </div></div>

You must think those who resign and say they are doing so to spend more time with their family are always telling the whole truth.

It's true that Beck did lose over 300 advertisers, and probably a correct opinion that something about that has something to do with Beck's supposedly mutual decision to leave Fox. That, and prollly also his loss of approx. 1 million viewers a day. </div></div>

Exactly, and obviously, since the press has been full of little knowing statements, about Beck's coming demise, even pointing out how he has toned down his "Birther" rhetoric, recently, so most informed people knew this was coming.

Of course, you always have those deniers, crippled with blind ignorance, who can always be counted on to skew what everyone else can see as clear as a bell...I usually put that sort on Ignore, LOL /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

sack316
04-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Steve no worries.... the loss of advertising is mostly credited to the radio show (happened to be tuned in at just the right time the other day... obviously "300 sponsors" are way more than is used for television programming). And what was lost in national sponsorship on the radio program was made up for with local businesses advertising on affiliates during the radio program.

Anyway, that's the word I heard on the program and at least confirmed locally by the local station programmer. I could well be wrong nationally, though. In fairness, I also was told Beck's program was dropped by many radio stations for "local programming options". So the pendulum may swing both ways here...

Sack

LWW
04-07-2011, 02:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't see anything in her post that said anything about losing advertisers, nor did I see anything that indicates FOX is firing him. In fact, it looks like they are working with him on some new projects.

Steve </div></div>

It's true that Beck did lose over 300 advertisers, and probably a correct opinion that something about that has something to do with Beck's supposedly mutual decision to leave Fox. That, and prollly also his loss of approx. 1 million viewers a day. </div></div>

You know what ... I've heard that he lost 300 advertisers a lot. I've never seen it backed up. Even if it's true, however, I've never seen ad space sitting blank on the show.

Advertisers care only about viewers and demographics, unless another metric is forced into the equation.

Following what was done to US business during the GM/Chrysler debacles ... and the new reforms allowing the state to take over nearly any business it wants to ... it must appear to be risky to advertis on a show which is such an avid opponent of the regime.

Gayle in MD
04-07-2011, 03:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve no worries.... the loss of advertising is mostly credited to the radio show (happened to be tuned in at just the right time the other day... obviously "300 sponsors" are way more than is used for television programming). And what was lost in national sponsorship on the radio program was made up for with local businesses advertising on affiliates during the radio program.

Anyway, that's the word I heard on the program and at least confirmed locally by the local station programmer. I could well be wrong nationally, though. In fairness, I also was told Beck's program was dropped by many radio stations for "local programming options". So the pendulum may swing both ways here...

Sack </div></div>

My information is that he lost over a million CABLE VIEWERS. Obviously, that doesn't mean the radio, and over three hundred sponsors on his program, on FOX Cable, not radio.....

His equally zany audience will still have the delight of listening to his irrational, absurdities, on the radio, I'm sure, but I, for one, am thrilled that we won't have a mentally disturbed, emotionally unstable man, fear mongering, and lying, every night, on television, to influence those who are alrady on the edge. O'REilly, the sexual predator, does enough of that already, IMO.

When Beck said that President Obama, had a deep rooted racist hatred for white people, he set off a sustained, public outrage, after which a number of groups, organized, and put pressure on his sponsors....so I suppose one could say that he was too far out, for EVEN Fox, which is truly, saying something.

G.

Qtec
04-07-2011, 04:37 AM
When you tell a funny joke for the first time, everybody laughs. After the 100 th time.......................

Q

Stretch
04-07-2011, 05:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you tell a funny joke for the first time, everybody laughs. After the 100 th time.......................

Q </div></div>

I hear ya. you take a grain of truth, take it to it's most rediculous conclusion, then present it in a hyper psycotic manic way.....then it's kinda funny. Then night after night, topic after topic you reolize "damn, he's serious!" .....not funny. St.

pooltchr
04-07-2011, 07:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My information is that he lost over a million CABLE VIEWERS.

G. </div></div>

You might want to switch to a more reliable source.

Steve

Gayle in MD
04-07-2011, 07:13 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

My thoughts exactly!

Even worse, he was an emotional cripple! There were a range of groups, (I'll have to look for a list of them, but I remember reading about it,) who organized reject products of Beck's sponsors.

Obviously, Fox was losing money. It was a business decision, to drop Back, he was hurting their bottom line.

Those groups are still organized and are now contacting his radio sponsors.

The power of the dollar bill is stronger than the nutjobs who tune in to hear his mental breakdowns on a daily basis.

Thanks goodness for that!

eg8r
04-07-2011, 08:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's always the comedy channel,</div></div>Yep, he could sit next to your heros like Jon Stewart.

eg8r

eg8r
04-07-2011, 08:37 AM
From the story I read, it seems there is a lot of behind the scene fighting going on and they don't know what to do with him. Letting him keep his own show is apparently out of question at this point. It appears to me that there are some high level, decision making executives that are in disagreement about Beck but they have come to agreement to remove his show. He is not the darling of the network for sure.

eg8r

eg8r
04-07-2011, 08:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beck's supposedly mutual decision to leave Fox. </div></div>Which article are you referring to? The one gayle posted did not mention him leaving Fox but rather being part of ongoing shows in a different capacity or different areas within Fox.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
04-07-2011, 11:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My information is that he lost over a million CABLE VIEWERS.

G. </div></div>

You might want to switch to a more reliable source.

Steve </div></div>

No, that's actually the number he lost.

Went from 3 million to 1.8 million viewers over the last year or so, so more than a million less.

sack316
04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
My apologies G, the #'s you cited are correct for the television broadcast as well. In fact, the 300 number is actually one of the lower estimates I have seen now that I looked into it some.

Sack

Gayle in MD
04-07-2011, 11:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My apologies G, the #'s you cited are correct for the television broadcast as well. In fact, the 300 number is actually one of the lower estimates I have seen now that I looked into it some.

Sack </div></div>

No problem, friend. I know how difficult it can be, sometimes, to get the facts.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

G.

LWW
04-07-2011, 11:53 AM
From everything I've seen ... those numbers are spoon fed and highly decptive.

What I mean is that Media Matters has a history of doing stuff like this where they will take a show's highest viewership of 2010 ... usually in the days right after a major event ... and use it as if it were a typical viewing day in 2010.

Then they will take the lowest viewership day in 2011 ... usually when he was in direct competition with a major sporting or entertainment event and act as if that is the new normal viewership.

It's completely deceptive.

sack316
04-07-2011, 11:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My apologies G, the #'s you cited are correct for the television broadcast as well. In fact, the 300 number is actually one of the lower estimates I have seen now that I looked into it some.

Sack </div></div>

No problem, friend. I know how difficult it can be, sometimes, to get the facts.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

G. </div></div>

Yeah, admittedly I hadn't looked into it yet at the time. But had just that very day (or maybe the day before) heard the radio stuff mentioned as well as had a convo with a friend who is a station manager here about the same thing. It sounded so eerily similar I assumed what you posted must have been the radio stuff. We all know what happens when we assume /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

Gayle in MD
04-07-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm sure you recall, I've done the same thing before, lol /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

wolfdancer
04-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I do like Jon Stewart, but my belief that Beck is just a "one trick pony",means that he'd have to add some animals to his act,before I would become a fan.
You may like him; I have no problem with that. I like my news without the histrionics, and phony tears. They used to rate sad or tragic movies as a 1,2, etc Hanky performance.
They called them "tear jerkers"..remove the last 3 letters and that would fit Mr. Beck.
But "different strokes....."
Jon is funny, Beck is a joke.....

pooltchr
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Why all the fuss over one person on one cable tv show leaving at the end of his contract. Maybe it's his choice, maybe it's FOX, or maybe it is a mutual decision. In the scheme of things, is it really significant.

It looks like Meredith Viera and NBC's Today show will be parting company at the end of her contract. Do you think it's her choice, or is NBC forcing her out?
Does it really matter.
I suspect there are far more viewers of Today than for Beck. Yet Beck has all you lefties with your shorts in a wad.

It's amazing to watch you guys get all twisted up over something like a tv show, and ignore the things happening in Washington that actually matter.

Steve

wolfdancer
04-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Actually since I don't watch Beck, I was just adding my thoughts on the topic. I care as much about him getting booted off fox, then I would about you getting tossed here.
It really seems like you are the one with the twisted underwear.
And, then there's your quantum leap that you are the only one concerned about the happenings in Washington....get real !!!!
Now I know that you have this compulsive need to post negatively behind myself or Gayle;get a few uncalled for cheap shots and insults in,and then scurry on over to AZB with your copy and paste job..... in some effort to acquire rep points. And for that, I really do feel sorry for you.

pooltchr
04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Save your sympathy for someone who cares.

Steve

Soflasnapper
04-07-2011, 04:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From everything I've seen ... those numbers are spoon fed and highly decptive.

What I mean is that Media Matters has a history of doing stuff like this where they will take a show's highest viewership of 2010 ... usually in the days right after a major event ... and use it as if it were a typical viewing day in 2010.

Then they will take the lowest viewership day in 2011 ... usually when he was in direct competition with a major sporting or entertainment event and act as if that is the new normal viewership.

It's completely deceptive. </div></div>

Maybe they do that, but not in this case.

You should perhaps either provide your own accurate numbers that contradict these, or at least take a look at MM's Beck's ratings stories, before closing your mind. It is far from impossible that Beck is down some 30%+, given that all of Fox is similarly down (if not quite so much).

He went from well over 3 million viewers a day on a fairly regular basis to under 2 million on a regular basis, as MM documents from Nielsen numbers or whatever.

Soflasnapper
04-07-2011, 04:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why all the fuss over one person on one cable tv show leaving at the end of his contract. Maybe it's his choice, maybe it's FOX, or maybe it is a mutual decision. In the scheme of things, is it really significant.

It looks like Meredith Viera and NBC's Today show will be parting company at the end of her contract. Do you think it's her choice, or is NBC forcing her out?
Does it really matter.
I suspect there are far more viewers of Today than for Beck. Yet Beck has all you lefties with your shorts in a wad.

It's amazing to watch you guys get all twisted up over something like a tv show, and ignore the things happening in Washington that actually matter.

Steve </div></div>

Things that happen in Washington were sorta led by Beck, since Beck (and Fox) really helped put the Tea Parties on the map with their promotion.

The left has been gunning for Beck ever since he claimed that Obama had shown (over and over and over again, he said) that he has a deep hatred for white people or white culture.

It is natural that THEY would assert that it was the boycott effort led by Color of Change that led to Beck being dismissed, however it is phrased by Beck and Ailes.

By comparison, those whom Beck hunted down-- ACORN, Van Jones, etc.-- were certainly talked up by Beck and his rw Fox cohorts when they got their scalps (got them fired from their jobs).

Lest the left start feeling its oats, I guess the right has to deny that their efforts had anything to do with this. This makes it a left/right dispute, and concerning a particularly central character in this political play. It's more a comedy than a tragedy, however.

bobroberts
04-07-2011, 04:54 PM
You people on the left are spoon fed morons. How could you possibly believe this crap. Thats right Crap.
Here is a sample of his ratings vs. his competition. he blows thwm away.http://www.ihatethemedia.com/glenn-beck-ratings-skyrocket-olbermann-up-maddow-down

BTW Katie Couric is getting the Boot at the end of her contract because her ratings are dismal.
When you on the left have to bow to your Chinese leaders, then you will b sorry. After all 40 cents of every dollar goes directly to them on the money we owe. And going up every day.

eg8r
04-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't watch Beck because I think he is as nutty as they come. I did find it quite hilarious though when you tried to make fun of him you actually used the network that Stewart is on. It did not bode to well for Stewart being the star of the "lower" network where Beck would fit in better.

eg8r

LWW
04-08-2011, 03:07 AM
I think that their rage is due to Keith O being bounced.

Qtec
04-08-2011, 03:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't watch Beck because I think he is as nutty as they come. </div></div>

There is hope for you yet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

To keep his numbers up, he had to come up with a new conspiracy every week. Finally, he ran out of targets and just started making things up.....and the TP love him!

Q

Stretch
04-08-2011, 09:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't watch Beck because I think he is as nutty as they come. </div></div>

To keep his numbers up, he had to come up with a new conspiracy every week. Finally, he ran out of targets and just started making things up.....and the TP love him!

Q </div></div>

If only Beck had called LWW for some scripts he would have had enough material for 4 more seasons. When Obama gets re-elected i can see some of our board memebers here finaly lurching into full blown insanity. It should be interesting. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif St.

bobroberts
04-08-2011, 03:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't watch Beck because I think he is as nutty as they come. </div></div>

Q </div></div>

If only Beck had called LWW for some scripts he would have had enough material for 4 more seasons. When Obama gets re-elected i can see some of our board memebers here finaly lurching into full blown insanity. It should be interesting. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif St. </div></div>

What are you doing taking huge amounts of drugs? Barry will lose and go down just like Carter except he is worse. Did i actually say that.
And as far as Beck, he is a millionaire and famous, What have you done or have to compete? NADA.

pooltchr
04-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Broadcasting is about one thing and one thing only...ratings. Ratings translate into advertising revenue, and that is why broadcasters are in business.

You don't have to be agreeable to get ratings. People will tune in to a train wreck, but the fact that they tune in is the reason train wrecks are on tv.

Love him or hate him Beck, like Limbaugh, draw an audience. Do you think people would tune in if they were boring talking heads? No way! These people are entertainers. Why do people watch WWE? Is it because they think it's real? Of course not. But it is outrageous! You never know what is going to happen, but you can be pretty sure it's going to be something interesting.

Do you hate Beck? How do you know, unless you are tuning in to his show. And that is all that matters. Beck doesn't care whether you like him or not...only that you watch him. And his most outspoken critics are probably some of his most loyal viewers.

Congratulations! You have helped him make a very good living.

Steve

wolfdancer
04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
I thought his just getting elected initially caused them to have many breakdowns; lots of head injuries were reported....most from beating their heads against a brick wall.

Gayle in MD
04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought his just getting elected initially caused them to have many breakdowns; lots of head injuries were reported....most from beating their heads against a brick wall. </div></div>

We can see the right is as ignorant about business as regards television, ratings and sponsors, as they are about everything else.

Ratings aren't much good, whenn sponsors refuse to advertise on your network, because they find statements made by Beck, to be irrational and slanderous, and find him, mentally unbalanced, and full of hatred.

The only thing that makes viewers valuable, is their number, brings in advertisers. In Back's case, he was losing advvertisers, left ant right.

don't you find it funny that these millionaire worshipping nutjobs, will always throw how much money someone makes into the argument, as though that proved anything, at all, when the person in questions, has proven they are unworthy of any respect, on any level?

MONEY runs these folks. Money and fear, runs them like a top.

They think money cures all evils. LOL, hos ridiculous, using someone's ability to scam the public, and make a lot of money, doing it, forgives them for anything, and everrything.

Proves John Dean is correct. They have no conscience, annd no values, either.

But then, just observing their slandering, stalking and insulting behavior, is proof enough of that. They remain angry little toddlers, particularly at those who find them too irrelevent to bother with, at all.

G.

Gayle in MD
04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually since I don't watch Beck, I was just adding my thoughts on the topic. I care as much about him getting booted off fox, then I would about you getting tossed here.
It really seems like you are the one with the twisted underwear.
And, then there's your quantum leap that you are the only one concerned about the happenings in Washington....get real !!!!
Now I know that you have this compulsive need to post negatively behind myself or Gayle;get a few uncalled for cheap shots and insults in,and then scurry on over to AZB with your copy and paste job..... in some effort to acquire rep points. And for that, I really do feel sorry for you. </div></div>

First he proves that he misread the article, as usual, then he wants to argue about the fact that it was posted. Does he ever admit that his accusations were wrong. Nope! Just keeps on showing us his gross ignorance, over and over and over and over....

"He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool."

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

ugotda7
04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Fux who......................?