PDA

View Full Version : The say something nice thread...

sack316
04-07-2011, 12:04 AM
pick one person from the opposite "side", and say something nice about them....

Since me and G are usually butting heads, I'll start with her:

I think Gayle is a passionate person who sticks by her guns and isn't afraid to say what she thinks... regardless of what anyone else may say about it. Agree with it or not, one must admire her "stick-to-it-iveness". Some will call it stubborn, some will call it being hard-headed (hell, I'll call it that many times)... but I do admire how she stands by her convictions.

Though we won't agree on much, I know she does read up and study on many things. She is a very strong and intelligent woman who fights for what she believes is right. And although I will fight her tooth and nail on many topics, I respect her efforts and passion for defending what she believes to be right.

Luckily I have had the pleasure of talking with her on a more personal level... and I know that she is also a very caring and compassionate person... the kind of friend any person would be lucky to have.

Those are my quick thoughts. I challenge the board to take a few moments... and at least in this thread... speak a few kind words on someone you may find yourself in opposition with.

And if this thread goes to shit too, then we know we're hopeless...

Sack

Qtec
04-07-2011, 12:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pick one person from the opposite "side", and say something nice about them.... </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Geez Sack, that's a tough one. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

eg8r and I almost always disagree but deep down I think he's an ok guy. If we never talked politics and just saw each other down at the local poolhall, we might even be friends! Not good friends of course! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve used to be an ok guy.

I have no problems with chopstick either.

Q

wolfdancer
04-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Deeman is on the opposite side, and he has my greatest respect. He never hit "below the belt" with his replies, never mocked anyone, threatened anyone, nor peppered his posts with personal insults,just for the sake of insulting someone....
Had the respective parties here, kept the personal attacks out of their posts, he might still be around.
Unfortunately there is no one else from your side that comes to mind, for any other laudatory comments. Well now, I can't remember you ever resorting to a personal attack, so amongst the active Republican posters here, I'll say something nice about you:
For a fat guy, you don't smell all the bad....lol
Actually, I think you are normally fair, and a gentleman.

LWW
04-07-2011, 02:54 AM
I'd rather be here than in Philadelphia.

Qtec
04-07-2011, 04:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pick one person from the opposite "side", and say something nice about them.... </div></div>

A very simple task and you couldn't do it. It shows <span style='font-size: 14pt'>HOW FAR GONE YOU ARE.</span>

Q

Stretch
04-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Sev has a great sense of humour. Posts up interesting topics and likes science (me too). If i had to pick a partner for Scotch Doubles from the other side, i'd pick Sev, and i bet we would kick some serious ass. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif St.

Gayle in MD
04-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Dear Sack,
Thank you for your very kind words. They really mean a lot to me, coming from you, because I have a great deal of respect for you, and your determination, to work hard to make your life everything that you want it to be.

You are certainly one of our most intelligent forum members, and you are surely a gentleman. I know that you know, very well, that I am always pulling for you, and for everything that is good in life, to come your way, as I am sure, it will.

I could say a lot of good things about people here, from the other political persuasion. I'll start with Deeman, who was originally one of my most ardent aggravators. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Deeman, is someone who will intentionally go for your button, whatever it may be, but underneath it all, it's just a bit of sport. Deeman, is a person who will take the fall, rather than compromise on his values and convictions, and do so, for the benefit of others, and for no gain of his own. He's intelligent, and a good man, and I count him as a very good friend, just as I do, you.

I miss BobbyRX, too, we had many arguments, but I liked him. Bobby could debate, without insults, a rarity around here. We never saw things the same way, but we had a number of good debates going, and I really miss his input around here.

Eg is probably one of the most exasperating, and at the same time, when he senses a gross injustice, he can be one of the most principled members of the forum.

He has probably insulted me as much, as any number of rightie members, but incredibly, he has also defended me at times.

I'd really love to meet Eg, but he's afraid I'll out run him, since I told him to bring his running shoes to Washington D.C., and we'd see who was old, and he never got here, you know, made up some BS story to get out of it, lol...JC.

But I know that Eg, cares very much about being a good father and will be a faithful husband, and an upstanding man, a plus, to our society, so I respect him, even though I can't stand reading his posts, lol.

Maybe some day he will muster the courage, to run against an old arthritic Grandmama, and then I'll carry him back here on my shoulder, and give him some pool pointers, LOL, that is, if he can stay away from those fried twinkies. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I would also love to meet Fats Redux, who used to post as Seacaucus Fats, a guy who used to attack my political, and personal views, with a vengence! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

But, one day he wrote a post on here, about me, and it meant so much to me, I printed it up, and framed it, and keep it in my office. He's a great guy, and we became good friends, and although I misplaced his phone number, I still think about him all the time, and hope that he is doing well.

I miss him around here, and I'd love to hear from him, to find out how he's doing. Really, you wouldn't believe how often I think about Fats....

I know that if I thought about it a while, I could come up with some more, from the Dark side, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif lol, people with whom I was once at odds with, that later, became internet friends with, but I'll just leave it here....

Thanks again, for your kind words, Sack. You're really a fine person.

Love,
Gayle

hondo
04-07-2011, 06:19 AM
As I have stated before, I do appreciate the fact that Ugotda7 was man enough to speak out against johnny d's tirades against me.
It also tells me a great deal about who was in the military and who wasn't.
Yugo is the real deal.

LWW
04-07-2011, 06:20 AM
W C Fields made countless Philadelphia jokes, and the had "I'd rather be here than in Philadelphia." placed on his gravestone.

Now, that being said ... I gave some thought to this.

I have honestly found numerous people to be pleasant and engaging when discussing plitics or other issues.

Among them are soflasnapper ... by the way, is that for South of LA, South Florida, or something entirely different ... Steve, JohnnyD, Eg, Sack, Sev, UGOT, Deeman, and probably a few I'm leaving out. Even aitch at times.

I have also found each of these same annoying at times ... and I'm sure the reciprocal is true.

Sev
04-07-2011, 06:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sev has a great sense of humour. Posts up interesting topics and likes science (me too). If i had to pick a partner for Scotch Doubles from the other side, i'd pick Sev, and i bet we would kick some serious ass. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif St. </div></div>

Thanks Stretch. Much appreciated.
Nice to know you enjoy the science topics. I am going to attempt to post them on a regular basis.

I'd just like to say when there is an actual discussion going on you articulate yourself very well and make salient points supporting your observations. We may disagree on some of the subject matter however it is appreciated.

pooltchr
04-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Soflasnapper has managed to present the view from the left in a very civil and intelligent way. One of my very good friends, who used to post here (Nick, but I can't recall his screen name) is a lefty from way back, and though we completely disagree politically, remain good friends.
He has since moved away from this area, and I no longer get to spend time in the pool room with him, but I would welcome the chance to see him again. I think snapper and I would have a good time on opposite sides of a pool table as well, and hope to perhaps have that opportunity one day.

Steve

LWW
04-07-2011, 07:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pick one person from the opposite "side", and say something nice about them.... </div></div>

A very simple task and you couldn't do it. It shows <span style='font-size: 14pt'>HOW FAR GONE YOU ARE.</span>

Q </div></div>

To use your standard again:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 20pt'>That's YOUR OPINION...dickwad.</span>

Q </div></div>

sack316
04-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Wolfie... I'm hitting you next.

We also don't agree on much politically, but we sure have always "clicked" well on everything else. I've always enjoyed your sports stories you post on here and PM me from time to time. And hell, even just some random life stories. You always throw in your own brand of humor, and I've always loved that!

I could picture us in a pool room just hitting balls around shooting the sh*t together for hours.

Sack

wolfdancer
04-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks Sack...I know I'd enjoy playing some pool with you...probably get my butt handed to me, but when you get my age,
losing at pool doesn't 'zackly come as a surprise.
As I wrote that, I remembered George Tanner,a retired Canadian wheat farmer, who had moved to the Bay Area. He showed up at the pool hall, but nobody would play with him, and then he discovered our weekly tournaments,and those at another pool hall, and the in house leagues. George had been a snooker player, hadn't played much 8 or 9 ball, and his eyesight was failing, at age 98. His bailiwick was excellent cue ball control, which allowed him to play great lock up safeties. He won a few 8 ball events, did well in league play,and he was frustrating to play in 9 ball, as he didn't have the stroke to move the CB around,but he really could snooker you. George actually won an 8 ball tournament at age 99, and passed away at 101. His wife was about 10 years younger then he, and I used to kid George about "robbing the cradle" Great sense of humor I discovered as I used to drive him home after the tournaments.
If there is a heaven, I suspect ole George is up there, still frustrating the younger players by making them kick 3 rails just to get a hit

eg8r
04-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Nice things to say about those on the dark side, hmmm...

Gayle: Political discussions would definitely have to be off limits, other than that I think I would get along fine with her. I love to be on the ocean and spent most of my childhood on/in the waters (when not going up and down the road in a truck with my father). I think she has been unfairly treated by the mod here and I will always stick up for her in that respect. She has not done anything here that anyone else hasn't done already.

Wolfie: Love the stories. I am amazed at the memory and ability to tell the stories. I like his humor and although I have said some terrible things I hope he will accept my apology. Sorry for the things that I have said about your family. While I thought I was just in saying them at the time, in the grand scheme of things it just is not worth it.

Qtip: Dope. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Just kidding. I never met anyone so attracted to google and ctrl-c/ctrl-v, it just boggles my mind. I like to see his passion for what goes on here in the US but would also like to hear what is going on in his country.

Stretch: Stand up dude. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I had a great opportunity to play some pool and hang out with him on vacation and I will never forget it. To be honest we never once talked politics that night and we had a great time. I love reading his responses to lww and clan. I usually get a chuckle whether I agree with him or not.

Sorry if I am forgetting anyone but that is all I can remember at this point.

eg8r

LWW
04-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I will say that woofie and I participated politely in a couple of threads today.

ugotda7
04-07-2011, 02:15 PM
I like Hondo's tenacity....I believe he's a good guy even though we've had some differences.

I like Wolfie's artful use of words......a rare skill these days.

I like Gayle's persistence in the face of failure......har, har - couldn't resist.

wolfdancer
04-07-2011, 02:43 PM
yes we did, and I enjoyed your posts.....and I'm beginning to see a different side of some folks here.
Damn, this could get boring, if we all agreed to play "nice, nice"..lol? Be nice though, if our families were "off limits" from the negative dialogue?
I liked the peaceful discussion ...maybe we could make it a weekly event?

hondo
04-07-2011, 03:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pick one person from the opposite "side", and say something nice about them.... </div></div>

Q </div></div>

To use your standard again:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 20pt'>That's YOUR OPINION...dickwad.</span>

Q </div></div> </div></div>

Well, that didn't take long. Thanks for trying, Sack.

Soflasnapper
04-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I won't pick one, since probably all these people are fine as people, and probably would be interesting enough to be friends with, apart from heated board political arguments.

I'm chastened and that's a good thing, to realize how differently people think than I do, and often challenged to reconsider positions or arguments for positions.

Sofla is for south Florida, since I live in Fort Lauderdale.