PDA

View Full Version : Pool Related!!!

MikeM
09-12-2002, 09:13 AM
In my never ending quest for THE magic wand, I bought yet another cue recently. A '98 Scruggs, pretty plain, four point tulip wood with a leather wrap and two shafts. Good looking cue and very nicely balanced. Has a very solid hit. I had my cue man extraordinaire (the one and only Wes K) put a Moori M on one shaft and a Medium Talisman Water Buffalo on the other.

As some of you may know I have been a big fan of Mooris. But, I LOVE the Med WB. I was very surprised at how nice the firmer tip felt. It gives great feedback and I can still put pretty good spin when necessary. I had one of best nights playing 8 ball last night with this cue. I even had an 8 ball run! That's very good for me.

What's your opinion of a hard vs soft tips? Any other comments or experiences with Talisman WBs? I also love my Hard Talisman WB on my break cue.

MM

Lester
09-12-2002, 09:25 AM
Mike, you've discovered one of the secrets of this game. Tim Scruggs makes some of the Best Playing Sticks on the Planet. JMNSHO ***Lester***

Kato
09-12-2002, 10:53 AM
Mike, will you have that cue in Virginia? I've never hit with a Scruggs. Wouldn't mind poking 1 or 2 with it. That is, if you don't mind.

Kato

MikeM
09-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Yes I will and I don't mind at all. It is a very sweet hitting cue, like Lester says. If you can talk Rich R into letting try his out you should. I hit with his at the last CAT tourney and had to have one. Tim Scruggs will be at the Open as well. I had planned on buying one there but I couldn't wait.

I recently hit with a friend's Steve Klein and I've got one of those on the way too! (I have an ebay problem). I'll have all of my cues at the Open and you're welcome to try any of them.

MM

Rich R.
09-12-2002, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> Yes I will and I don't mind at all. It is a very sweet hitting cue, like Lester says. If you can talk Rich R into letting try his out you should. I hit with his at the last CAT tourney and had to have one. Tim Scruggs will be at the Open as well. I had planned on buying one there but I couldn't wait.

I recently hit with a friend's Steve Klein and I've got one of those on the way too! (I have an ebay problem). I'll have all of my cues at the Open and you're welcome to try any of them.

MM <hr></blockquote>
Kato can hit a few balls with my Scruggs, for a price. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.

Kato
09-12-2002, 11:55 AM
Jeez Rich, with friends like you who needs enemies? Mike, thanks. I'm not in the new cue market (I've got other things to spend money on like socks Lester) but will be sometime next year. A Predator BK and probably a custom.

Kato

Lester
09-12-2002, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Jeez Rich, with friends like you who needs enemies? Mike, thanks. I'm not in the new cue market (I've got other things to spend money on like socks Lester) but will be sometime next year. A Predator BK and probably a custom.

Kato <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Kato, even though I am currently rethinking my sock inventory, you can hit a few with my Scruggs. I've got to warn you, if it's in the tournament, I need only whistle while you're shooting with it and it will throw you like Silver used to do for the Lone Ranger. ***Lester***

Kato
09-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Thanks Lester. Now I can hit with 3 Scruggs. I'm guessing I'll get a pretty good feel for his cues in a few short minutes. By the way, if you're shooting in the tourny I'm guessing I won't be bumping balls with your cue/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

09-12-2002, 02:55 PM
The difference between soft, med, and hard tips relates to the grip of the tip on the cue ball--soft grips more than hard.

Softer tips will give you more spin on the ball but also wear faster and require a little more maintenance. Once you are relatively good at applying draw, follow, and spin, the hard tips allows more control. In other words, a softer tip will give you more draw, but it can be hard to get just a little draw (3-6 inches).

Just my 2 cents.

WaltVA
09-12-2002, 03:10 PM
Mike - I got some Hard WB's from Talisman to install on break cues, tried one on my Schon play cue, and am delighted with it. Can generate plenty of spin if needed, no maintenance, consistent hit, holds chalk well. I had used LePros for years, trying to pick the hard ones, but they weren't very consistent.

Walt in VA