PDA

View Full Version : How strange the universe actually is!

LWW
04-07-2011, 09:06 AM
We think we know where we are, and we think can know how fast we are moving.

In reality, we can do both ... but not at the same time.

It is impossible to know both the EXACT speed and EXACT location of a particle.

For an exact measurement to be made, time must be split so far down that you appear to be completely stopped, so all that can actually be done is a probabilistic guess of where a particle is based upon it's known velocity.

The more precisely you measure a particle's momentum, the less accurately you will realize it's position.

cushioncrawler
04-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I hav never beleeved one word of that sort of stuff.
There iz no such thing az universal time. Once one accepts that then lots of silly questions and theorys go away.
mac.

LWW
04-08-2011, 03:04 AM
There is no such thing as UT ... which is irrelevant to the pont however.

Sev
04-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Time is a man made construct that is good for making calculations.

However if the universe is infinite then each particle is at the center of the universe.

Soflasnapper
04-08-2011, 11:45 AM
We think we know where we are, and we think can know how fast we are moving.

In reality, we can do both ... but not at the same time.

It is impossible to know both the EXACT speed and EXACT location of a particle.

If you are a particle, the first two sentences are true. If you are more of a macro-sized thing, not so much.

It's true, still, that you can only know those two things within the Heisenburg unCertainty interval, that includes Planck's constant. But that is plenty enough to know where we are and how fast we're going, as that is a very tiny range of error. It's just not enough to know where a particle is, since that is so tiny as well.

wolfdancer
04-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Well, we won't know for sure, until johnnyD chips in with his take.
Can you conjure him up at will, or do you need some Glenfiddich to act as a catalyst?
Or...do I have you mixed up with another poster of no renown here?

LWW
04-08-2011, 02:26 PM
To know EXACTLY where you are you must freeze time ... meaning that you no longer have speed.

Put simply, if I am averaging 60 MPH down the road and you want to know where I was at a certain minute in time, all you actually know is that I am somewhere within that mile.

The probability curve becomes smeared, with a certain range I was most likely at in even every second ... but the possibility exists that I stopped for 30 seconds and then averaged 120 MPH for the second 30 seconds to still have a 60 MPH average speed.

To know my exact location, you would have to stop time and that would make my speed unknowable.

A better analogy is to shoot a horse race with the shutter set at 1/60 of a second.

You will not see a stopped horse, you will see all the possibilities of where the horse was in that 1/60 of a second.

LWW
04-08-2011, 02:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time is a man made construct that is good for making calculations. </div></div>

Time as a stand alone item is a man made item.

Spacetime is very real.

And, yes, Copernicus was wrong. The Oit is at the center of the universe.

cushioncrawler
04-08-2011, 04:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time is a man made construct that is good for making calculations.
However if the universe is infinite then each particle is at the center of the universe.</div></div>Good points. Which reminds me that in my other posting about there being 2 basik types of multiverse (Dimension and Speed) i omitted the sort of faux universe that kums under Dimension, and this iz the one where the universe iz so far away that it kan be kalled its own universe, u kan kall it Distance-Dimension, whereaz the other type woz Size-Dimension. But in a way all 3 are only a part of one infinite universe -- Distance-Dimension, Size-Dimension, and Speed-Dimension.
macstein.