PDA

View Full Version : Any black and white movie buffs?

LWW
04-07-2011, 10:05 AM
We have a home movie library of several hundred, and are blessed with one of the nation's finest library system that has an awesome collection of vintage movies.

We also have, although not all hooked up, DVD ... LaserDisc ... VHS ... SuperBeta ... and a film projector at home.

I'll start with some black and white classics that I enjoy:

1 - FAILSAFE: Possibly the greatest movie ever made.

2 - Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb: A Kubrick classic.

3 - Night of the Living Dead: Yes, it's a cheesy horror film, but awesome yet simple cinematography.

4 - Dracula: All of the future vampire films are cheap imitations.

5 - The Seventh Seal: A chess game against Death himself.

6 - Psycho: Hitchcock's finest.

7 - Metropolis: Fritz Lang's sci-fi classic dystopian work.

8 - Raging Bull: Probably the best boxing film ever.

9 - Treasure of the Sierra Madre: An un-Bogart type role, but a great performance.

10 - Casablanca: Perhaps the best love story ever made into a movie, and I couldn't limit to one Bogart flick.

11 - The Maltese Falcon: Sam Spade is the best movie detective ever. And I couldn't stop at 2 Bogart flicks either.

12 - Frankenstein: Another horror classic.

wolfdancer
04-07-2011, 10:21 AM
I never saw #5, or #7...but the rest are "classics"...enjoyed them all. I believe there is a web site that specializes in B&W movies?

LWW
04-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I strongly suggest both.

5 ius a bit of an artsy film and 7 a silent classic.

pooltchr
04-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Perhaps because I spent a few years in the middle of the ocean, but one of my favorites, Midway, should probably be somewhere on that list.
Just take a look at all the great actors in that movie!

Steve

LWW
04-07-2011, 02:09 PM
That's another good one.

There were many great war films in BW